Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

British Ammo Boots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British Ammo Boots
    Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:14am
Among my many lunacies, I like to use surplus military gear when I check out my property. I look like some European soldier from fifty years ago as I go about. Traspassers are only encountered once (they NEVER come back, I scare the C&@P out of them). Star
I have noticed the "What Price Glory" sells reproduction WWII British ammo boots, and am considering buying a pair. How are they as general "walk about" outdoors shoes? Are they comfortable, provide good footing, how do they hold up under heavy service?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 8:50am
I had a pair made here.I got help from Tony & my legion magazine, so the cobbler knew what to do.Mine are extremely comfortable.
Now - since they have hobnails - I DON't recommend walking around on your wife's hardwood floors. lol
Tony still has his from his service days.He'd be the man to ask for a definate on 'em.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
TomcatPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 11:11am
I do not have a pair made by What Price Glory, but I do have a pair sold by Bayonet Inc.. I got them when they were on closeout a couple years back, so they probably do not have them anymore. If they are anything close to the Ammo Boots sold by What Price Glory, I have no problems with them. Actually mine are fairly comfortable, but like what was already said, they are hobnailed so watch out for slick floors, etc.
I think there was a later (1960's-ish to recent) version that used a rubber sole, think they are called DMS Boots. I have never seen them for sale this side of the Atlantic, but might be worth checking online for.
Mark
The .303" Cartridge, Helping Englishmen express their emotions since 1888.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 12:52pm
The guys I know that do WWII (Argyll & Southern Highlanders) do alot of biz with What Price Glory.If I get a chance - I'll ask 'em.(or PM me & I'll give U a couple adresses & U can ask 'em)
Hoadie
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 5:47am
Ammo boots are great on dance floors they chew the wood to shreds! Big%20smile If you're thinking of hunting get the vibram type soles they grip on rock better and a hell of a lot quieter. Use a pair of ammo boots and you may as well hang a cow bell round your neck ! Current Issue boots are all rubber soled but if you know where to look you can still get the old ammo boots in the surplus stores. Great for clog dancing and stomping on fingers in bar room brawls Evil%20Smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

TomcatPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 12:25pm
I think I read somewhere that the Guards Regiments still used hobnailed Ammo Boots to a small extent, so they might still be in production. I do agree if you are looking for a pair of Ammo Boots for daily use, I would buy a pair of the DMS (rubber sole) Ammo Boots. I would like to find a pair someday.
Mark
The .303" Cartridge, Helping Englishmen express their emotions since 1888.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 10:07pm
Yeah they do for ceremonial parades but normal issue is the vibram sole type. Hobs make a lovely crash when you slam to attention it impresses the civvies! Lets get real you wouldn't wear a red coat and bearskin plus ammo boots for anything else than ceremonials Big%20smile.  Though word has it  on the site some our colonial bretheren like to dress up but I don't think we'll go into that its a family site! Big%20smileBig%20smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 7:23am
Oh well,
I'd be walking through the woods, muck and mire in them, probably get more noise stepping on a branch. However, they do need to hold up with hard outdoors use, without crippling me.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Yeah they do for ceremonial parades but normal issue is the vibram sole type. Hobs make a lovely crash when you slam to attention it impresses the civvies! Lets get real you wouldn't wear a red coat and bearskin plus ammo boots for anything else than ceremonials Big%20smile.  Though word has it  on the site some our colonial bretheren like to dress up but I don't think we'll go into that its a family site! Big%20smileBig%20smile

What Hoadie & I choose to dress in the privicey of our own Homes or certain bars is not the concern of the members of this board !

As for Hob nails ? You'll never wear out the soles of a pair of boots with them in place

Dave
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 6:28pm
Yeah!! What he said!!
(Course I DON'T dress like that when I go to the Arlington in Maynooth)
Hoadie
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 6:40pm
Gotcha!! You two behave the youngsters on here don't need corrupting! Big%20smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Gotcha!! You two behave the youngsters on here don't need corrupting! Big%20smile

TOO BLOODY LATE ! Look at Al & Hatchet ..........I rest my case

Dave
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 4:15am

Al wears a skirt and calls it a kilt Hatchet is young and impressionable (recon he's been chatting to cookie too much) and as for Hoadie! Words fail me ! All I can say is he's canadian what do you expect?  Evil%20Smile

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:19am
hey! howd i get DRAGGED into this? Smile
now you's are the ones that twisted our mind from the start..anyway my wife tells me i look good in red Wacko
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:27am
And the high heels AL??? Evil%20Smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:42am
"These boots were made for walking . . ."
Sounds like there's going to be an intercontinental stompin'!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic