Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.30 Carbine Bullets - Surprise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .30 Carbine Bullets - Surprise
    Posted: August 17 2007 at 7:01am
I tried a batch of 110gr FMJRN .308 bullets over about 13gr Unique.
They actually shot very well in my No.4Mk.2 (with 0.316+ groove diameter, 0.305 bore diameter).
I'm guessing they expanded like Minie bullets since the lead core is exposed at the base.
I used a .30-284 Lee collet die to size the case necks.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 7:14am
I've always suspected that the flat based FMJ bullet, with the exposed soft lead, expanded like a Minie bullet in the more oversized bores of some rifles. If they were't so expensive, I'd do some work with the heavier Nostler Partition .308 bullets to see how they shoot. I suspect a faster burning powder, similar to cordite, would give the best results.
Has anyone tried this?
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Smokey Smokey wrote:

I've always suspected that the flat based FMJ bullet, with the exposed soft lead, expanded like a Minie bullet in the more oversized bores of some rifles. If they were't so expensive, I'd do some work with the heavier Nostler Partition .308 bullets to see how they shoot. I suspect a faster burning powder, similar to cordite, would give the best results.
Has anyone tried this?

I have shot .308 diameter 180 grain Nosler Partition's out of my jungle carbine with good results. I load them the same as .311 or .312 and use the same powder charge.
I have also used 220 grain Winchester PP with very good results as well.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 6:38am
The carbine I sold to White Rhino shots .308dia projectiles very well too.

CM

Rhino I will give you the data if you would like it
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 8:04am
Yea, that sounds great CM maybe I could get that from you this weekend possibly., Need stuff like that for each different rifle. like when you shoot certain Rifles , save said spent casings and note which Rifle they were shot out of for reloading pourposes.....
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 11:10am
It would be great if you could recover a bullet. I doubt that 13grns of Unique generates enough pressure to obdurate a FMJ bullet.

Ed
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 7:40am
Ed, depends on what the jacket is made of. These were Remington bullets I purchased in bulk (2000). Unique is a fairly hot double-base pistol powder. I seat the bullets deep into the case neck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic