Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with ID of No.4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdgiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with ID of No.4
    Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:34pm
Can anyone give any more info on a No. 4 I'm looking at? It has a 1943 stamp and the serial number is Y321XX. It has grooves on the top handguard and it does not have the bolt removal notch in the receiver like some Long Branch and US No. 4 rifles. Any help is appreciated.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 9:38pm

jdgiii,

On the reciver does it have 1943 No.4 Mk.I with out a *? And where was the place of manufacture? Longbranch, Lithgow, ETC?

Cookie Monster

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:36pm

I'm suspecting a No.4 Mk1 BSA Shirley .

Is there any stamps  that are M47 anywhere ?

jdgiii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdgiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 12:38am

I'll have to find out. This is a rifle that I am considering for purchase. I'll get more info from the seller and get back to you guys. I'm mainly trying to make sure it's not a punjab rifle.

N/I\Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N/I\Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:34pm

If it is a No 4, it was made in England, Canada or the USA.

If there is a big wood screw through the fore-wood just in front of the magazine, it has been to India.

shotgunminister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by N/I\Z N/I\Z wrote:

If it is a No 4, it was made in England, Canada or the USA.

If there is a big wood screw through the fore-wood just in front of the magazine, it has been to India.

Mine is a Long Branch and has a screw hust forward of the mag well.  Am I getting this right or did I misunderstand what you said.

I've seen the future and I don't like it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 1:49am

N/I\Z is right .

Seems that Ishapore put that screw into all their rifles AND the rifles they repaired . Ishapore had a very extensive repair program which included No.4's although they did not produce any .

Nomatter where the rifle was made , they went anywhere the Brit Commonwealth needed them .

There should be a " FR " stamp on the rifle somewhere indicating Factory Repair at Ishapore .

N/I\Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N/I\Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 3:30am

"Mine is a Long Branch and has a screw hust forward of the mag well"

Long Branch was the only factory in Canada that made No 4 rifles.

Your rifle was made in Canada and has spent time in India.

There were a lot of surplus rifles after the war(s). And the British Army was looking towards replacing the No 4 with the No 5 (an idea that was dropped in favour of the FN-FAL/L1A1). India got (bought? given?) a lot of surplus kit to tide them over until they developed their own knock-off of the L1A1.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic