Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rifling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifling
    Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:42am
Here's one for the techies .  When you clean your rifles and push a patch or brush through from the breach the rod twists in a clockwise direction as the patch or brush locks into the lands and spins like a round going up the barrel. Has anybody come across a rifle where the rifling is anti clockwise? If so was the accuracy impaired and what was the rate of twist?
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 7:12am
Good Question Tony, I have never paid attention to that. just took it for granted.
I will try to keep vigalent on that, but out of all the Rifles that I have , the ones that I shoot are pretty accurate .
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 7:23am
Tony I have not noticed any difference at all. Only problem I incured was the brush would come loose.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 7:32am
I have a number of "clunkers" from all over the world. The direction of twist has not made any difference that I could determine. Far more important are the condition of the rifle and the ammunition, plus the suitability to the rifle. Most important is the nut pulling the trigger.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 6:21pm
It's just a whacky thought I had when I was giving the rifles a clean down.  Personally I can't see the rifling going clockwise or anti clockwise making any difference but not having had any experience or finding a rifle like that I thought I'd ask.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 7:29pm
This is one of the great arguments of the shooting world ! I've heard it argued that a S&W hand gun is more accurate than a Ruger due to the fact it has a Right hand twist & Ruger has a left. I know Blokes who are still in the Trade who swear by a left hand twist  The standard rate of twist is 1-12. I belive but I have played with 1-10 with no real differance .

Dave  
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 10:01pm
dave I agree with short range projectiles in a short barrel the  twist plays little effect on rge accuracy. Now in long range bench rest shooting where you shoot out to a 1000 meters the rate of twist to stabilize a given round is a major factor.

CM
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 7:22am
I have never even given it a thought , except for a wonder at one time when I worked at Bollinger's Ship Yard years ago we were eating lunch in my work area and talking about the northern hemisher and the southern' on which way the toilet bowl water swireled in each.
then went to talk about the rifleing in a barrel Northern Hemisphere Vs. Southern Hemisphere. havent thought to much of it since then. till now!
So where is Hoadie? He for one usualy has a welth of usless knowledge and should have some input. Maybe ?
Now I would think that the left handed Vs. Right handed thread would be the Populer choice of the people/country/Engineer who developed the Rifle of use ( Mauser / Enfield / Ect... Ect...) and the fact that people at one time were beat for using thier left hands, well ? might be another reason. as for Left handed threads Vs. Right handed threads ... As a  Turbine MillWright I know there are uses for each......
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 7:30am
I'm lookin fer my bore light!! Gonna check the rifling on the Enfield vs mauser & M42
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 10:37am
went out to gun room tonight but forgot to look at the rifling of the many diferent rifles I have....
"White Rhino"

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 7:36pm
It probably doesn't apply at rifle distances, but there is a difference in artillery distancesStern%20Smile.
I posed a question on a different forum some time ago when I was shooting  sub-moa custom rifles at 1000yards.
I'd noticed that there was a common increase/decrease in windage settings over several years os shooting. More specifically it went left at longer ranges & right at shorter ones.

The difference was prety subtle, but it did exist, I only discovered it myself when transferrring sight settings to a new logbook.

It does NOT effect group size, but it does effect the zero.

Part of the problem comes from the gyroscopic stabilization. any gyro (including a spinning bullet) will "precess".  this is a side effect of the spin needed to stabilize. If the rifling is to the left it will precess to the right & vice-versa.

One of the members therre posted a link to a site for naval gunners & there was a setting on long range naval rifles sighting systems to correct for thisWacko!
All in all I'm glad I don't shoot at the kind of distances & flight times where gyros drift & the earth's rotatiion has to be taken into consideration.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic