Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scope Mount ... Again??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Mount ... Again??
    Posted: February 19 2008 at 11:29am

So ... I just installed an ATI no drill etc. mount on my '43 BSA. It seems to tilt up at the front. Anybody have any experience with these? Is it a common dilemma?
I put a laser bore sighter in but I don't have enough distance (without alarming the neighbors) to judge if it will be close to on or way over the point where the irons would place the shot.

Ed
LJM61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJM61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 7:44am
Hi StnwII2!

Ya! I bought one online  2 years ago and found a similar issue.
I was able to get a machinist friend to get the rail in it's correct position by binding it to pull it down into position then using the holes for the taps to put dimples in the metal of the so those micro screws have a place to nest without shifting. I was then able to zero my scope in minutes with my in chamber bore sighter.

It's been solid since.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 7:47am
Any pic of that rig?
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 10:41am
OK ... how do I post a pic??

Lets try ....

Too big??
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 11:31am
looks like a nice mount if the info above works - im thinking you will have a nice setup there
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 1:00pm
I think I'll try loosening the rear screws and tightening the front ones first. Might let the rear float up a bit and help flatten it out.
Green Mist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Mist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 9:18pm
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the pic. will you let us konw how you solve the problem. And tell us if you find your group has improved with the addition of the glass. what kind of scope is that you have on her?
Brian
When all else fails, call in the Artillery.
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 12:42pm
The scope is a Barska Euro 30 1.25-4.5 x 26. It's a 30mm tube. I got it from Sportsman's Guide. $49 with rings. I was keeping my eyes open for a style with out a front bell to look, cheaply, a bit like the original Brit scopes.

I've fired the gun once with the iron sights. It was December 27th. It was 40ish degrees ... cold for here in Arizona .... with a steady 40+ mph wind!! It was hitting high right but in about a 2 inch group at 50 yards. S&B 150 grain fmj. Haven't had a chance to get back at it since.

Got the mount for Christmas ... from ... Me!

I'l get to fiddling with the mount again this weekend and I'll post the results.

Here's a little wider pic ...

Ed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Mist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 6:54pm
Funny how the "Me" santa always delivers the best presents, how is it the wife does'nt ever come home with a bayonet or some other big boys toys?

Thanks, B.
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 10:56pm
The wife or -(insert your significant other here)- expects you to know what they want without their saying but, when you say "Hey, I want a Pattern 1907, Australian made, for my 1917 Lithgow" they can't figure it out so you get a sweater. And an ugly one at that. Am I right???

PS: 'Me' just bought me a 1907 Wilkinson off the-'e auction sight that will go un-named'. I also have a 1944 Aussie made one.
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 1:08pm
Meanwhile ....

I used an 8" C clamp with some thick leather to protect the wood and metal ... squeezed the front down, tightened the set screws and then tightened the rear screws. Looks straight now and the laser bore sighter dot can be brought to the center easily.

Now I gotta shoot it and see what happens!!

And .. I new Avatar pic too!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Mist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 6:11pm
Will be delighted to hear how it performs as i am trying to source the same mount, you would,nt believe how difficult sending  a lump of aluminium across the atlantic is.

Keep us posted. B.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 7:02pm
The wife or -(insert your significant other here)- expects you to know what they want without their saying

I used an 8" C clamp with some thick leather to protect the wood and metal ... squeezed the front down, tightened the set screws and then tightened the rear screws.

Right so you clamped your other half down with a c clamp!  BEHAVE THIS IS A FAMILY SITE YOU'RE AS BAD AS HOADIE! Big%20smile

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 10:09am
Ahh! Sounds Interesting.... More Details Please!!!!!!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 8:21am
Finally shot the BSA with scope.
Two shots and the mount dislodged. Not happy with that turn of events.
The design calls for a pointed set screw that will somewhat dig in to the inner wall of the receiver. The set screw it comes with has a blunt end that just slid up the inner wall.
I'd like to try the style that mounts in the rear sight and then is held by the safety screw and the ejector screw. Seems a three point mount would solve the issue. Just can't remember the brand of that mount. S&K?? That doesn't sound right.

4/28/08

I's a DAI MANAGEMENT Cad Technik mount I am thinking of. Seems to sit the scope awful high though.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 12:00am
Actually ..... it's the B-Square one I was thinkin' of. That one has a 3 point mounting. I'm counting each side of the rear sight mount as 1 each and the ejector screw as the third.

Any thoughts?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic