Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm re naming my Gun Guy .His now called Elvis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm re naming my Gun Guy .His now called Elvis
    Posted: May 07 2008 at 7:12am
I have decided ,after yesterdays little debarcule! To rename my Gun Guy form Des to Elvis ! Why ? Cause his got a suspicious mind that's why !!!!!!Censored

Ok! It was a lovely day yesterday & I decided that ,I would help out the Power Beam Spotlight company by buying a New Spot light & Remote control unit (The Aussies on the forum will know what I'm talking about ) Well ,I didn't  think it was a big issue . I wandered in to my Gun Guys & asked to get the keys to his store (Hey I own the place by proxy .......I've brought that much from him over the years Big%20smile) & as per normal got told to Bugger off ! As he would trust a Dingo with a baby before he trusted me in his store by myself ! (that Hurt )

The real fun began when I asked for the new Remote & a 180mm Spot light .....Why do ya want only a 180mm ??????????? Why not a 240 mm???? Cause I don't need a Large light any more ! I don't shoot Roos anymore ...! Ok.......... Why do you need a remote then ??????? Cause I tend to shoot alone of a night ! EMMMMMMMM? Your going out after foxes aren't you ???????? No Des ! I just want a remote & the light Ok ! Ok, how much are you getting for skins this Year?????? I'm not shooting foxes Des ! & so it went on !!!!!!!!

Dave
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:34am
Thats disgusting!!!! Slandering a mans name like that!  Cry We all know you're a living example to all the young lads out there! Quiet, tolerant, abstemious, and a living icon of honesty!  Now how much they paying per pelt??    Big%20smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Lost Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:57am
If it's under $20 a fox....find someone else... By the way Dave..like your new sig line...
Get some
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 4:17pm
I dont think fox skins have been worth any coin for years roo.

Bloody "animal liberationists" Censored
But the winters coming,

And the snow will cover tracks,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

- Sarah Blasko, The Gardens End
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:49pm
I have heard rumours of $23 average this year ,but it's too early in the season to be  sure ! The buyers are still in a position to hold their prices at rock bottom ! I'm retired !!!!!!!! So it don't matter to me ! I might & I emphasize might put a couple of skins through towards the end of July ! I can average oh about  10 15 per night round here as I am about the only bloke who might shoot them this year & am the only bloke with access to a lot of the properties round here & I might tell my brother not to bait this year ,as I might shoot

Dave
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 8:33am
"MIGHT" seems to be the operative here...as in you MIGHT breathe, too!
(Old habits die hard, eh Dave?)
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 12:39pm
I would love to go out with you to whistle up a couple......you should see what my hornet does to a gallon milk jug full of water at the 100.....it's like setting a hand grenade off inside it....good fun.
Get some

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 3:52pm
Good to hear that hornet of yours has worked out well mate.
But the winters coming,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 6:34pm
I reckon the Hornet is one of the greatest little rounds ever invented ! Before the Laws changed in 2000 making the Min Calibre for Roos .222 I used the Hornet a great Deal ! So far as Foxes go ? I used a 17 ackley hornet for one season & went back to the Hornet the Next ! Out to about 175 yards it's Dynamite on Foxes!  With minimum skin damage !

Dave
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 9:30am
Hatchet has the best fox rifle. The 204 I love mine for foxes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 10:08am
I am saving up for my first ever new rifle (everything I have ever owned has been at least 20 years old).....I have been umming and ahhhhing about the calibre..I am loving the hornet and am tempted to get a brand new one...since I have the dies, primers and about 600 rounds of brass..... I have checked out the .204 and it looks good......but I keep coming back to the 22.250.... as some of you know...I have a sweet spot for the Sako .222....but the prices are insane....and the .223 is close enought and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. I am checking out the Tikka at the moment....kind of torn between it...the remmy 700 and (due to Hatch !!) the CZ...that look like a sweet rifle for the $$......also thought about the fireball and swift.....of course, the question will come....what do you want it for...and my answer is...to shoot of course
Get some
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 11:11am
Lost kangaroo, you have a delima... But you will find the answere in the end. I/we cant help you on the choice.... But as you take the advice from  all theses great Guys on this forum , I'm sure you will buy the best rifle for your needs... GOOD LUCK BUDDY!!!!!  We all know you will make the right decision....
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Lost Kangaroo Lost Kangaroo wrote:

I am saving up for my first ever new rifle (everything I have ever owned has been at least 20 years old).....I have been umming and ahhhhing about the calibre..I am loving the hornet and am tempted to get a brand new one...since I have the dies, primers and about 600 rounds of brass..... I have checked out the .204 and it looks good......but I keep coming back to the 22.250.... as some of you know...I have a sweet spot for the Sako .222....but the prices are insane....and the .223 is close enought and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. I am checking out the Tikka at the moment....kind of torn between it...the remmy 700 and (due to Hatch !!) the CZ...that look like a sweet rifle for the $$......also thought about the fireball and swift.....of course, the question will come....what do you want it for...and my answer is...to shoot of course

Mate ! You've opened a can of worms on this one!!!!Smile  My advice ???? 22-250  on a Ruger 77!  Personally I use the Swift, but that's cause I like to be differant !  Remington rifles are Crap compared with their product of 20 yrs ago ! Sako are good but over priced in IMHO. CZ are a Bloody good rifle! But . At the end of the Day I used Rugers to make a living for years & had a bloody good run with them . Remember you can load a 22-250 down to  .222/.233  balistics  but you an't load .222/223  up  up to 22/250 !

Dave 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 3:52pm
A mate of mine just spent some serious coin on a gucci remmy 700, a VSSF or something.... whatever their stupid names are. It is the stainless steel fluted heavy barrel job with the synthetic stock. Working the bolt is rough as guts, the action is too bit for a 222 family cartridge and it wouldn't shoot for sh*t as it had an off centre crown!

It was key holing factory ammo! (Although he was using hand loads right from the start, he got some gucci hornady factory ammo to test it)

Don't bother with a new remmington mate, they are rubbish.  Some of the bench rest crowd are starting to use howa actions as a basis for their customs!

I dont mind the ruger 77 (although the first center fire I show was one in 308 with a "boat paddle" stock, they are pure evil and one of these stocks even hurt dave!) as it is similar to a mauser action. From memory they don't come beaded and floated from the factory (unlike the CZ527) and will need a bit of work to get them up to scratch.

The ruger 77 is a good solid dependable rifle though Thumbs%20Up I have had a shot of a mates stainless synthetic ruger in 243 and it shoots well enough for goats and deer. He hammered a big red stag with it the other week.

Also a CZ550 in 22-250 with a laminated stock and heavy barrel will be an awesome spotlighting rifle, or whatever type of shooting you do over there roo.
But the winters coming,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 12:03am
I just looked at a Remington auto in 30-06 at the pawn shop yesterday. when the young guy cycled the bolt back to make saure it is empty he sliced his finger open.. He said he and some of the other guys that work there all have cut thier finger pulling the bolt back.  I have and older Remington 1100 shot gun. but would of preferd a Mossberg pump.
as for rifles the only Remington I own is a .22 cal  semi auto built on the same bases as the 1100 series shot guns. and I got it for free. because the ole boy was tired of it not working.  Remingtons are like Fords. you need to keep fixing them to get them to work.........
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 6:02am
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

I just looked at a Remington auto in 30-06 at the pawn shop yesterday. when the young guy cycled the bolt back to make saure it is empty he sliced his finger open.. He said he and some of the other guys that work there all have cut thier finger pulling the bolt back.  I have and older Remington 1100 shot gun. but would of preferd a Mossberg pump.
as for rifles the only Remington I own is a .22 cal  semi auto built on the same bases as the 1100 series shot guns. and I got it for free. because the ole boy was tired of it not working.  Remingtons are like Fords. you need to keep fixing them to get them to work.........

Rhino I concur I own only one Remington and it is a 870 pump 12 ga Express and has functioned reliable thus far.

However I have friends with 74 series auto loaders and they are nothing but trouble always something wrong. Same with 1100 shot guns you better take a pocket full of spare o-rings to make field repairs. Because of this I have always steered away from Remington products.

I have shot several 700 series bolt-action rifles in various calibers they seem to be made well and accurate. I do like the 798 Remington with the K-98 Mauser action.

Remember this all just my opinion     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic