FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 Epps data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
steve View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 303 Epps data
    Posted: October 29 2006 at 6:21am
We were that way with the No 4 for many years, Dave.  Unfortunately, living so close to the Americans has caused a cross border infection known as magnumitis.  In the few short years that the Short Magnums and Ultra Magnums have been out, I've come to truly loathe them.  They do nothing for today's hunter and shooter that wasn't already done years ago by other cartridges. 

Once upon a time, we'd go out and bag a moose, deer or bear with a 303 or a 30/06.  Since the late 70s or early 80s these cartridges have somehow become inadequate.  And because the magnums came out, ordinary cup and lead bullets could no longer perform adequately either.  The projectiles were traveling so fast that they had to start using premium fare.  Bullets had to be able to take the punishment of slamming into game at warp speeds.

The machinery of Capitalism must go on however and if new cartridges are not introduced, some fear that the industry will die.  I know that there has been a steady decline in the number of reloaders.  I tried to find a Lee Loader in 30-30 Win today but was skunked.  That was strange.  They had everything else!  I'll order direct from Lee.

The gun shop shelves had either wonderfully shiny, new Super Ultra Mag boxes or really old used equipment.  None of which helped me.
Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com
LJM61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJM61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 10:34pm
Dave!

No worries m8!
The only problem with being Canadianized is fathering Legitimate children!
It's a winter thing...  6 feet of snow outside, the usual response to that here is "Screw it"... since there is little else "To Do" Until Spring! That's why most births here fall in July, August & September. It's also why we have such clean Enfield's as well.... and these two activities tend to trip over each other as main interests, well besides Hockey on the boob tube....

I hardly know a single Canadian male who while rodding his 303's bore with long smooth strokes that the wife or other handy other waddles or slinks by and something else pops up as The PRESSING need. Poor lasses!   Oh! Here comes wifey now...

Yo baby! Pass me the  gun lube love!....
Well THAT Gun Lube will do the trick... Come here you little minx!  Broken%20Heart

Excuse us lads! I gotta go sort the "Gun Rack"! Approve Pig

In the background, the wife drops in a Dave Wilcox CD (A Toronto Artist) and starts playing his song "Lay'n Pipe"! http://www.davidwilcoxrocks.com/cd_samples/layin_pipe.ram

P.S.>>>
On a lark, go to http://www.davidwilcoxrocks.com/                      and listen to his homepage tune called "Do the BareCat"
This guy is a local treasure here for over 30 years and I believe he will translate well in Auz..

Cheers!

Luigi
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 7:41pm
Dav_eh!(I just Canadianized you)...

sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is'nt going to affect my ability to Father children is it??????? I've seen & done this to animals & ..........OH! Canadianized ! Not Castrationized! Sorry about that ! EmbarrassedEmbarrassed These eyes are'nt what they used to be ! I'm so glad that you feel wanted & Feel at home in our little cnr of the Universe ! I really think it's great that we have the knowlage avalible & the sense of Humour that makes up this site . "Eric" our Head Keeper & Owner / Creator of the site . Is the one person who should be given full credit ! (Even if his poor Wife had to listen to him screaming .....IT.. IS ..ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a really bad impersonation Of the Old Black & white ....Frankenstien !)

Steve  It must be remembered that down here the LEE Enfield  is the sort of weapon that due to sheer numbers just won't die ! Each new generation of shooters seems to rediscover the SMELLIE & it's wildcat children that were for so many years the main stay of high power rifles ! I still use the 303-25 as my windy night work rifle & my now retired for resteration MK1 (1902 ) has nearly 40 yrs of Pro shooting to it's credit (from Water Buff  through to Dingos ) . The Old girl is on her 7th barrel & in retirement will get her 8th !
       I'm a firm beliver in if it ain't broke ...Why try & fix it ? whist I do use several modern calibres for work ,I always rely on my Old faithfulls as money makers !

Dave
LJM61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJM61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 9:28am
WARNING:
Your eye's may begin bleeding if you attempt to read any long posts by this forum member in one go...
Do not Attempt unless properly equipped or inclined!

This has been a public service address paid for by the makers of "Silly Sods Eye Wash & Breath Arrester". for "When words bring tears to eye"    Dead  Confused  Cry

Howdy lads!

Sorry I've been absent for a few days.
THAT "Thing" keeps happening thats always screwing with all my well laid plans and best intentions threatening to constantly de-rail me....
I think it's called... LIFE~! Ouch

Stephen, I'm really pleased you returned to this forum again!
See! I did say you were most likely to be "Omni-Aware" of all things  Enfield related. So I guess I was correct in that assumption, but I had to try to get you to slide over and try it on for a fit again with the current set of wayward wackado's!

I haven't been here long at all(literally since last week), but it seemed soo obvious from the first hour spent here that the fit was just too....
"On the Mark to Miss"!  Thumbs%20Up

It would almost seem the stars and other celestial bodies have conspired to aligned just at the right moment where the most knowledgeable AND the most passionate of characters, (ne:whack-jobs) from every corner on this rock, accidentally come together at the same time only to discover there is something a little different happening in the dusty merc of this old and not yet ready to quit icon of this long past century.

With THIS  kind of mix from the long in the tooth Enfield community there seems to come a refreshing return to a "Can-Do" attitude with a sense of both fun and purpose. And best of all, with the greatest of humility.
In an atmosphere like this one, Anything is possible!

Dav_eh!(I just Canadianized you)...
YOU little old mind reader you!... LOL

Actually.... the truth be told,
the day I stumbled into this forum last week, was the day I found the box that contained all my home offices papers and notes as well as all my system CD's from our move to these new digs last month. 

It just so happened that in those papers, I located my gunnery note pad and like an old habit I went online to Google, E-bay search & Bookmark Surf'ed for some target items related to "303 Britsh-Lee Enfield-Parker-Hale", when this forum popped up at the same time as Steve's 303Britsh.com homepage bookmark came up.

Curious of the new Google hit, I jumped into this forum and was met by the pleasant surprise of meeting "U~Lot"! Wacko   After a short time, I finally wondered back to my other find and sent Stephen at 303 British.com an email to order his book on 303 Britsh & Epps reloading data, and having been struck by the experience of wandering into Enfield-Rifles.com I asked him to drop by this forum with a warning about "U_Peee_ple"!

SO it's funny that you, off the top of your sombrero leap to suggesting Stephen's web link! Now THAT would seem to me to be one of the greatest examples of the wordless meetings of the mind that tells me this coming together was just MEANT TO BE!  If the likes of Steve Redgwell isn't just the perfect fit for this forum and the passion(see: insanity) for the beloved Enfield's I've witnessed here, then AIR is no longer Right to Breath!

It also seems to me that the tone of this form is the perfect mix of good sense & humility, not to mention good graces crossed with copious humor.
Kinda like Monty Python goes shooting with an R-rated version of Martha Stewart. "And That's a Good Thing"!

Generally speaking(typing)
I just spent the last 7+ years in one forum as one of the moderators where I spent most of my time explaining what reality is and battling trolls and Anti Reds(it was a pro F1 Ferrari site) where I rarely felt appreciated or part of the family, not to mention the high turnover of members who disappeared at the slightest provocation which led to the formation of a  bully-clique that trashed the membership when opinions every collided... Which was daily. I just got tired of baby sitting and wasn't having much funnnn....

This time around, I will enjoy being the "Newb" following this horde of wacky mavericks to the asylum, all the while learning and regenerating a passion that started for me when I was a kid, but never had the chance to do anything about it until a few years ago when I cobbled together my first No.4- Mk1 from parts at gun shows and lucky happen-stance.

At some point I will post some pics of my project, and look forward to seeing all of this forums members pictures and reading all your insights and experiences.

P.S.>>>
I'm very passionate about the the "IMPROVED" & Epp's conversion and I will be undertaking this step  this year and sharing some of my visions and idea's just so you can all get an idea just how nuts I really am, and the therefore... Belong Here!   LOL

P.S.>>>
One of my Crazed idea's is to formally recognize the great work of Steven Ridgewell and by using his thoroughly modernized and updated load data based on the Epp's  improved load,  either newly coin it the 303 Epps-Redgwell or "REDGWELL 303E(Epp's)-Improved"!

That's how impressed I am with his work.
It's a new era in the Enfeild's history\development, and I'm just glad to be  around here at this time.

Cheers all, I plan on being around on this forum a lot and hope to get to know all of you wacko's a Rubber Truck Load Better!

See you in the funny papers!

Luigi\Louie

steve View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 11:25pm
Thanks Dave.  The heyday of the Lee Enfield has passed here but there's still a lot of things available for them.  Especially at gun shows.  The angle mount happened because I tried the TO-1 Weaver mount.  It was okay but a person can do better. 

Bill Radtke, the fellow that sent the pix, has passed away but I know he'd be tickled pink to hear that people still see his stuff.

One last thing about the store.  They still have Ellwood's old plywood 303 Epps displays there but the data is not recomended.  George (the owner) recently did a complete renovation and expanded the place.  If Ellwood was still alive, he would have complained (he was crotchity like that) but he would have secretly been pleased with the expanded floor.
Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 8:19pm
welcome to the mad house steve . The mounts that you have posted on your site are  Bloody excellent & several of us over round this neck of the woods have made them & are using them ! Job well done !

Dave
steve View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 12:40pm
Hi.  I got your email LJ. 

The data in my revised book is all newly completed using modern powder loads.  Unfortunately Ellwood Epps data that used to be available at the store was badly outdated and in some cases very inaccurate.

My work is the most complete body since the '50s. 
Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 4:43am
LJ have you looked at www.303British.com

they  seem to have a lot to do with the EPPs on that site including several books on the subject

Dave

LJM61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJM61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2006 at 9:20am
Keep that Epps spec data and info coming!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 4:11pm
I would haseten to add  that in MK111 enfields drop back about 3grains  due to the weaker action

Dave
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 2:11pm

180 grain KKSP   303 Epps, No4Mk1 rifle

45 gr R-15  vel. 2353,2364,2394

46  gr R-15 vel. 2451,2460,2449

47 gr R-15 vel 2525,2522,2512

48 gr R-15 vel 2555,2585,2573

46 gr IMR 4895 vel. 2557, 2572,2560

42 gr H335 vel.  2341,2354,2343

43 gr H335 vel. 2380,2377,2373

44 gr H335 vel. 2468,2450,2440

41 gr IMR 3031 vel. 2390,2385,2378

42 gr IMR 3031 vel. 2438,2464,2445

43 gr IMR 3031 vel. 2489

Consult several loading manuals and work up loads for your rifle, not responible for any loading errors.With any internet data there is the disclaimer and I just said mine. happy shootin', John

Edited by 303carbine - April 08 2006 at 2:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic