Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M-1 Garand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M-1 Garand
    Posted: August 31 2008 at 12:36pm
Hmmm...now whatdya know.I just found out that America's Rifle-the M-1 garand was the brainchild of a CANADIAN working @ Springfield!!Well-how bout that?
(Figgers-only a Canuck wud invent a thumb-buster like that) There was 6 1/2 MILLION of the made.
WOW
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 1:23pm

John Cantius Garand (January 1, 1888 – February 16, 1974 was a designer of firearms best known for creating the first successful semi-automatic rifle to be put into active military service, the M1 Garand.

Garand was born in St. Rémi, Quebec in a French Canadian family, and moved as a child to rural Connecticut. He attended school until he was twelve years old, and then became employed in a textile mill, where he was later promoted to machinist. After gaining the necessary experience, he was hired by a tool factory in Providence, Rhode Island.

Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 1:27pm
I’m quite surprised Hoadie, it took you a till you were over 53 years old to figure that out?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 1:34pm
hey! I may be old..but I'm still learnin mate!
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 8:31am

he went through quite a few variations before he got his final one accepted in 36... i think it was. Id love to get my hands on one of the CMP garands.

thresher_593 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thresher_593 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 11:05am
Not only did he design and build the rifle, but he designed and built most of the machinery used to manufacture the M-1. He also laid out the production facility floorplan for maximum use of floor space. And he didn't even have a high school diploma.

If you ever get a chance to get your hands on one, do it! They are great shooters, and look super. Its fun to just sit and hold one.
Hiding out in the Northwest corner of Southeast Ohio
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 6:00pm
Well Thresher-you werent around for our previous discussions about that "Thumb eating,heavy brute" we call the M-1 Garand..Yes -its fun to sit & hold one...JUST DONT LET IT GET NEAR YOUR THUMB!!!(worse than Charlie Brown's kite eating tree!!Sakes!!)
Hoadie
mathd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 10:09pm
Yeah what a nice rifle
i am also from quebec (french canadian here)

I plan on getting the hand on one for my father as hunting rifle, if i can't its gonna be a lee enfield 303 :).
Mathieu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thresher_593 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 1:36am
JUST DONT LET IT GET NEAR YOUR THUMB!!

Unfortunately, your warning is too late. My 1943 SA bit me hard. I still like her, I'm just more careful now.
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 2:40am
M1 Garand Thumb is part of the learning curve of the Operation of the M1 Garand
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 2:50am
Yes!!The "M1 Thumb" is a meically recognized condition-I'm told.(Then theres those of us who dont seem to learn the 1st time-& while explaining to others..gets bit AGAIN!)
I cant say as I miss her...shes gone to a far better place,as far as I'm concerned(Sold back to U.S. Army of all places!!)
Hoadie
Lost Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 11:24am
As I was instructed when I learned the Garand......it only hurts until it stops....
Get some
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Lost Kangaroo Lost Kangaroo wrote:

As I was instructed when I learned the Garand......it only hurts until it stops....

...or-if someone smacks your foot real good with a hammer...it'll take your mind off your thumb a while.Either way,its gonna spoil your day.
Hoadie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thresher_593 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 10:52am
These%20are%20my%20M-1%20Garands.%20From%20the%20left,%201943%20Springfield,%201952%20Springfield,%201955%20Springfield.%20The%2055%20was%20built%20the%20same%20week%20I%20was%20born.%20Were%20both%20about%20to%20have%20a%20birthday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thresher_593 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 10:56am
OK, so I'm computer-challenged. From the left, 1943 Springfield Armory, 1952 Springfield, and 1955 Springfield Armory. The '55 was built the same week I was born, we're about to have a birthday.
Kodiac400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodiac400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 6:42am
Great looking rifles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic