Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

h 322 loads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 10:29am
It seems that IMR-3031, IMR-4064 and IMR-4320 were offered with their current names starting sometime in the 1930's. Before 1944 the US government used the following powders in 30-06 ammo,  DuPont PyroDG, 1185, and for match ammo DuPont 1145, 1147, 15 1/2, & Hercules HiVel. I think the 1185 was most popular in 30-06 before IMR-4895 and 1185 may have also been an "IMR" powder.
bigb00mer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigb00mer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 10:37am
just got my first enfield.
what should I look for in reloading for my new toy?
this one is in 95 % condition and extremely clean inside and out
Savage Arms marked US Property with matching bayonet
John Coleman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 7:28am
Originally posted by bigb00mer bigb00mer wrote:

just got my first enfield.
what should I look for in reloading for my new toy?
this one is in 95 % condition and extremely clean inside and out
Savage Arms marked US Property with matching bayonet

The best dies I've found are the Lee collet neck sizing dies. These come in the Lee Deluxe Rifle three die set. Years ago RCBS tried to make collet dies that were terrible. The lee design is much better.

Besides the action that allows "case stretch" the chamber in the Enfield does not match the shoulder shape of new ammo. This is by design but makes full length sizing cause very short case life. Full length dies try to shape the should back to factory shape. The shoulder in the chamber is farther from this shape as the case headspaces on the rim and the extra space in the chamber is designed to allow out of spec ammo to chamber as this was a problem in WWI.

Neck sizing keeps the shoulder of the fired case the same shape as the rifle's chamber and saves the case from being resized back to a factory new shoulder that would overwork the brass.

Look for boxer primed cases and avoid S&B ammo and cases. Some people say Remington cases are a bit thin but I haven't had problems loading them.
pogson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pogson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 4:28pm
H322 is not usually best for full-power hunting loads but it is great for medium-range target shooting in many calibres, especially 308 Winchester. It is too fast for really heavy bullets but does well with 150 grains in 308 as well as .303 British. It meters through powder measures nicely too.

Speer publishes a load for H322 with 150 grain bullets:

Hodgdon H322 Federal Federal 210 33.5 2341 37.5 2580

I think such a load would be useful at the usual ranges deer are killed by 303s. It's a deer-slayer to 250 yards with a five inch high trajectory when zeroed for 250 yards. Most of my deer are ~100-200 yards and my deer have about 10 inch vital zones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic