Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me get my reloading started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me get my reloading started
    Posted: May 15 2006 at 11:16pm

no hoadie.. thats just the wedding "after party" for our beloved tasmanians.

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 5:52pm
Is that how they do it in Taz ?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 11:59am
To say nothing of a long stick with a skull on top & a inflated Dingo bladder tied to it as well as other trinkets! This is waved over the completed rounds! On the Full Moon whilst danceing round a fire Stark Naked (your body) covered with pigs Blood & Chicken feathers ! Opps ! Sorry! That's only Benchrest shooter's methord of loading!

Dave
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 5:08pm

Glad you didn't mistype on SHOT hammer Dave. 

Safety glasses, spare underwear, vallium, first aid kit and a few stiff drinks.

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 3:26pm
5E I reckon you've made some wise choices there & will have no problems! WE always have said the rod methord of priming is a true nerve test ! as Ed  pointed out get your self a light Shot hammer ! The type with the plastic ends. also down the line invest in a Bullet puller for when things dont go as planed ! also remember to wear saftey glasses when reloading!

Dave  
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 2:58am
Yeah _ I hear ya there, mate! I didn't tell ya before, but I'm actaully King Midas' ugly brother.Everything HE touches turns to gold...everything I touch turns to s**t!
Hoadie
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 12:06am

i was only kiddin.. my mrs calls me sex fingers,  cos everything i touch..well ,you know the rest!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:40pm
I'll stick to reloading my beers.It's much safer.(I really don't look very good with powder burns on my face..& the family would take a dim view of me blowin the place up time & again!)
Like I said..left to my own devices...
Hoadie
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:21pm

well hoadie its like this...if a shell goes bang in my face, i can go crumple my gun dealers face.. if IM the "creator" of the bang in my  face..well id have to go have a few beers and ponder what i did wrong. i might start reloading!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 1:02pm
I'll stick to my factory loads..Left to my own devices....I'd probably fly higher than ANy of you!
Hoadie
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 8:53am
I'll stick to my RCBS primer tool its less nerve wracking  
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 11:22am

Tony, if you haven't used a "classic" Lee loader, priming involves centering the cartridge over a primer, and whacking a rod down into the cartridge. This is supposed to be safe, but can result in a flinch when using a hammer!

5E, read the load data at 303 British.com

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/303Page.htm  It shows several powder choices and also has a good article on the Lee Loader. I picked up some reloader 15 for my current loads, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. Whinchester or CCI primers are popular. the last issue of Guns magazine had several loads for 303, Reloader 15 shot well in each of 3 rifles.

Where will you be shopping? If you get into Sacramento, the shop at Auburn and Watt  ( off I-80) sells primers by the 100 or 1000 so you can get a couple small boxes to try. They also have a pretty good powder selection. On bullets, some rifles shoot the boattail bullets well, some don't, so I went with plain base sierra 180 grn pro hunters.

Ed

5thelement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thelement Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:23am

Ed....

Haven't decided on primers and powder yet...could use some advise there.

Thinking bout shooting 150 or 174 grain bullets, probably FMJ or Spitzer SP

any ideas/recommendations?

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:15am
Hammer??? Primers?? How come we haven't got an emoticon with fingers in the ears??
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 12:53pm

Sounds like a great set up! If you really enjoy it, you can upgrade to a press and dies later and have everything you need.The hand priming tool is easier on the nerves than wacking the primers with a hammer....

Oh, and make sure you have a plastic or rubber hammer for the lee loader, no metal!

Have you decided what you want to get for primers and powder?

Ed
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 11:50am
Whadya do - rob a bank ?
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic