Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me get my reloading started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thelement Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me get my reloading started
    Posted: May 05 2006 at 2:47pm

Sorry to bring this up again guys...but I am finally ready to buy my reloading equipment (Midway is giving me like 20% off one order for my b-day). Unfortunately my mind frame has faded out of this conversation we had awhile back. So here is my question once and for all.

If I buy the Lee hand press (Midway Product #: 624416 )

What other tools/dies/pieces will I need to get to be on my way to reloading (minus the bullets/powder/and primers)? If possible please list the midway part number. I just need the bare minimum to reload a decent cartridge. I will only be shooting from one enfield. Thanks Guys!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 5:59pm
OK try this for simplisity    Dies = LEE collet neck size  (includes shell holder & one pwder dipper & a load chart) Midway #801209    Chamfering tool Lee  Midway #389104     Case lenght cutter ,lock & stud (for trimming cases ) Midway #625878 + 476992  also Lee Powder dipper set Delux   Midway #943305

That should be enough gear top get you well & truely started  Also although the Lee dies come with a illistrated guide to reloading ! Please invest in a reloading manual

Dave

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 9:12pm
It's ALOT easier loading Black Powder !!lol
I Lee smelter, 1 lee die.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 10:44pm

http://www.reloadersnest.com/

here ya.. have a read on this site if you wish...ima learnin dave!

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 1:58am
Originally posted by allan allan wrote:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/

here ya.. have a read on this site if you wish...ima learnin dave!

Once again Grasshopper You show wisdom beyond your years

&nbs p;       http://www. thisblokesawizard.com
   Dave
5thelement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thelement Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 7:33am

Thanks Dave, I knew you'd come through...

one more thing do I need a tumbler???

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 1:24pm

Here you go, THE cheap loading primer...

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_note s.htm/51

Ed

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 2:13pm
do I need a tumbler???

I can hear the crys of Herisey! But  I have never owned a Case tumbler  & I would shoot more rounds off in a week than some would  use in a year  ! If my cases etart to get too grotty I just give em a once over with a rag & Brasso  or a polishing  cloth . I think a tumbler really comes under the heading of "he who dies owning the most toys is the winner ".  That's only my opinion though

Dave
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 3:06pm

alright..lookin at the websites on reloading procedures..whats a rough time it takes to reload 20 rounds from GO to WHOA? its lookin pretty complex.

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by allan allan wrote:

alright..lookin at the websites on reloading procedures..whats a rough time it takes to reload 20 rounds from GO to WHOA? its lookin pretty complex.

This is a hard one to answer Al!It depends on what set up your using ! with the most basic of Handloaders I would hazard to say roughly (with a little practice ) 30mins on the out side. With a O type or C type press 20mins (a little quicker with a powder dropper) Turret type with Powder dropper 10mins  Fully progressive press with everything that opens ,closes & has the flashing lights & horns 10mins ! On my Lee Turret I load roughly 100 rnds a hour ! Of course with practice you can improve on these times if your really desperate to prove how fast you can reload ! I personally just plod along & make doubly sure that I have'nt made any mistakes

Which brings me to the second question normally asked ? Is reloading safe ? Yes & No !!!!! Look there is nothing dangerous about crossing the road  if you obey the fundermental rules & don't do anything stupid ! Yet if you walk out into rush hour traffic without a care in the world .It becomes a case of is there a God ?
      Reloading is the same ! The trick is to follow the basic saftey princeables ! Take your time ,don't allow yourself to be distracted  from the task at hand .Just have enough Powder ,primers  (seperated ) on the bench at the time to reload  . Not having a open tin of powder & several hundred primers laying round on the bench (Don't laugh as I'v seen this in another Pro shooters reloading room )  If you choose to use the Old Lee Hand loader  ..... Please get a priming tool  the old methord of using a rod to hammer a primer into place scares  the Hell out of me !!! You place the case over the primer ,insert the rod down the inside of the case & tap the rod with a hammer (lightly) to seat the primer! I've only ever heard of one case of a primer going off with this methord but........
          On the up side of rollin your own you have more control of the quaility of ammo  than relying on Factory ammo which although is all automated  still relies on the attention of somebody for quality control

Dave
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 5:45pm
Don't forget to use case lube. Nothing worse than getting a case jammed in the die when you resize them.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 9:59pm
Allan tells me he uses KY jelly for that.

Hoadie
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 12:20am
Just makes sure there aren't any rough spots on the forsite hoadie. you could have probs with your farmer giles if there is. 
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 5:40am
Hold the order, 5E.

Dave H, was thinking last night ( yes,it is a rare occurence) if 5E is getting  the hand press, will he be able to comfortably apply enough pressure to use the  neck sizing collet die?   The Lee  instructions say to  apply 25lbs of pressure with a regular press  and that has a better mechanical advantage.

5E, you might call Lee and see what they say about the collet die in the hand press.
Ed.
5thelement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thelement Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 11:06am

Well here is the final list and sent order to MidwayUSA.....

Lee Classic Loader 303 British---Lee Auto Prime Shellholder #5---Lee Chamfer Tool---Hornady One Shot Case Lube 5.5 oz Aerosol---Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner---Lee Cutter and Lock Stud---Frankford Arsenal Plastic Ammo Box 50-Round Flip-Top---Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 303 British---Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit---(and because of Dave)Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool

Happy Birthday to Me!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 11:50am
Whadya do - rob a bank ?
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic