Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dating my enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 4:44am
 its a 1955 , all serials at that point , after 1954 , incorporated the date and all were UF prefix ,

1948-54 were all PF rifles

all of the british mk2s came out of ROF FAZ , only others were conversions of mkI -1/2 , and mkI* 1/3 , from FAZ and BSA ,

the only other real mk2s are POFs
Schmidlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 7:28am
so does that decrease or increase the value of it?
Schmidlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 7:05am
okay so i took my Enfield to a local shop today just looking for a value...they had a No4 Mk1 (F)..they wanted 550 for it....it was dirty and very pitted.....i handed it over to the smith he looked at it for 4 minutes...gave it back and said well its not in very good shape so i will give you 50 bucks for it......50BUCKS !!!!!

i took it back and siad no thank you......and walked out.
VAnimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAnimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 7:18am
That'd be about my last trip into that shop.
Schmidlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 7:20am
Originally posted by VAnimrod VAnimrod wrote:

That'd be about my last trip into that shop.

yeah considering all their handguns are about 150 over what others are charging and they really screw you over on a transfer...it will be my last trip there.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 9:55am
Schmidlin, tough to set a value without more pictures, and varies a lot by where you are. The Mk 2 generally go for a lot more than the No.1's, they are the last of the production, post war and feature tighter chambers.  You're reloads will last longer, and they generally are very accurate.

Ed
Schmidlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 7:13am

i think i got a jem of a enfield. really really happy with how it shoots and looks. Im looking at getting a SMLE for this small collection...and im looking at some Mausers....Mosins..

im going to need a bigger closet.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 8:46am
Nice looking pictures or your rifle.
VAnimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAnimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Schmidlin Schmidlin wrote:

i think i got a jem of a enfield. really really happy with how it shoots and looks. Im looking at getting a SMLE for this small collection...and im looking at some Mausers....Mosins..

im going to need a bigger closet.

Good, honest, old girl.

I can like her, and she just says she'll shoot "good enough", and do all you ask her, without fuss.

Tough to whoop on that.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 6:57pm
Sure cleaned up well. Just keep topping up the linseed oil on the woodwork you'll get a great finish in time.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2009 at 9:37pm
Yes it did Tony, As soon as he gets the finish on the stock he will have a nice piece there
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 9:20am
the value - is what you value it at , you bought it right , the mk2 is the most accurate end of production , youve got a great rifle and its end of production [id rather have a FAZ than a POF anyday] so its got credentials

as to finish take the linseed to it with an ample amount of elbow grease - once a day for a week [wipe off the excess , rub it in good] once a week for a month , once a month for a year , then as required after that , she will take on the high dollar hooker  look real fast
Schmidlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 9:32am
just straight linseed oil or boil it?

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 9:36am
you can use eather - ive been using BLO , as thats what i have , and i think it to be less sticky , opinions differ on this , and some add beeswax , but im not inclined to that ,

do rubb it till its warm at each application and wipe off the excess , we want to add thin coats warm to let them soak in and not end up with a sticky residue

oh , and use cotten - i use old T-shirts or shorts that have been washed so much they are really soft ,

looking for a finish like this -

Schmidlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 6:32am
Okay guys i need to sell my beauty. I know what she is worth and im sure you guys do as well. PM me with an offer. I can get more pics of you want. I live in NW ohio but would be willing to drive to almost any boarder for FTF sale.

PM me
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:31am
Why in the world do you have to sell it?
My #4Mk2 looked a lot like yours probably did when I bought it. It shoots almost minute of angle with any decent load I put together. Keep it and use it. I't a better utility rifle than nearly anything else.

BTW,
I use raw linseed oil, it completely impregnates the wood and make it as stable as a composite stock if you keep applying it. I went over the metal on mine with cold blue (the finish was gone anyway) and it looks a lot better, plus it's better protected from rust.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic