Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RFI (?) Refurbished No. 5 Jungle Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFI (?) Refurbished No. 5 Jungle Carbine
    Posted: April 11 2009 at 10:05am

I purchased this rifle at a Clark County Nevada Sheriff's auction over twenty years ago and I'm still trying to obtain information about it:

This carbine has been "scrubbed" of any manufacturer's marks and has a brass "Ishy screw":

The receiver and barrel (not shown) have relief cuts to lessen weight typical of all No. 5s:

The serial numbers on the stock socket,

bolt,

forestock,

and magazine all match:

The magazine platform has a mark I have been unable to identify:

The bottom of the stock has an RFI mark just behind the trigger guard. Note the hollow bolt handle.

An unidentified mark is located on the butt in the channel cut for the sling:

There are C.A.I import marks on the bottom of the barrel just behind the flash hider, the number 1957 (or date) is stamped (not shown) on the front of the metal cap on the forestock:

This is definately not a cut down No. 4 but a rifle with all the characteristics of the No. 5s manufactured in England. I sent photos and a description to Skip Stratton of the Enfield Research Institute and he speculated that it probably began life as an English made No. 5 that was refurbished by RFI. According to Mr. Stratton, the Indians are noted for not being forthcoming on details or numbers in regard to their armament production or refurbishing activities even from 50 years ago. My inquiries to Century Arms asking about its origin or import details have gone unanswered.

Any information regarding the unidentified marks shown above or regarding the origin of this rifle will be greatly appreciated.

enfieldfan
NRA Life Member since 1969
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 10:47am
I'd go with Stratton on that! The UCF marking on the magazine platform puzzles me though. Only markings I know of starting with U are UE RSAF Enfield Enfield Lock and UF ROF Fazackerly. CM has a large reference library maybe he can throw some light on the subject.Nice looking rifle though regardless of any mystery.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

bolted_down View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolted_down Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 10:28am
Sorry, no help on the info side...
But it sure is a pleasure to look at!!
Thanks for sharing!!
:)
Opportunity is missed by most because it usually comes knocking at the door
dressed in overalls and looking alot like work.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 11:18pm
as you mentioned RFI [ishapore] the indians refurbed her and seems the scrubbed her - but she is all matching now :>}

the no5s were all made at eather FAZ or BSA , the FAZ rifles were electro pencil marked ROF(F) on left reciever an the BSA  M47C on left buttsocket , BSA might have a B somewhere and that might not have been scrubbed ,

im guessing the serial number is RFI as both mfgr were assigned SN ranges and those had letter prefixes -
A-Z & AA , AB , AC at FAZ
BB , BD , BE , BF , BG , BJ , BK at BSA

it looks to be in very nice condition and a nice one to have
enfieldfan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 2:23am
Thanks A square 10,

I was hoping that someone on this forum might have information about the stamping located in the sling "channel" in the butt stock. I believe it is probably key to determining the age and the utilization of this carbine.

enfieldfan
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 11:34am
Update:

The marking in the sling channel cut in the butt stock has been identified as a roundel stores mark dated 1957 as described by "Edwards - of India's Enfields".

These photos of components of my RFI Refurbished No. 5 were made to provide additional information on another forum after a question was raised regarding the relief (lightening) cuts that distinguish the No.5 MkI from "Jungle Carbines" made of cut down and otherwise modified No. 1 and No. 4 rifles:

There are also lightening cuts in the knox form of the barrel:

enfieldfan
jona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 4:41am
UCF is a supplier's mark.  It is a Canadian company and supplied parts to Long Branch.  They made the platforms for the No. 4 magazine.
Your rifle is typical of an Indian re-build.  For some reason, they felt it necessary to scrub off the old marks, then add their own.
jona
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 5:10am

jona,

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know what the initials U. F. C. stood for? Inquiring minds are dying to know.
enfieldfan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic