Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Markings FTR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unrealpara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Markings FTR
    Posted: April 18 2009 at 9:10pm
hey everyone
this has been at the back of my mind now for a while and i need some help uncoding some markings. My rifle is marked US PROPERTY No4 Mk1* and the square 'S' for savage", which has been crossed out. Above it engraved bolder is "No4MK1/3 (F) FTR". i know that at some point it went through Faz for upgrade/repair hence the (F). My question is what the Mk1/3 and FTR stands for?
Thanks
.303 lithgow No.4 Mk1*
Imagine pure concentration and precision at 750 yards. That’s Me watching You!
enfieldfan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2009 at 12:06am
That means it was upgraded to the No. 4 Mk 2 specifications; the main one being that the trigger was removed from the trigger guard and a new trigger was attached to the receiver. I believe the original flip sight was replaced with an adjustable ladder sight at that time also. FTR is the Brit's code for Factory Thorough Repair - the rifle was refurbished and upgraded at Fazerkerly.

According to my reference upgraded No. 4 Mk I were redesignated No. 4 Mk 1/2 and the No. 4 Mk I* were redesignated No. 4 Mk 1/3. The roman numerals were no longer used after the introduction of the No. 4 Mk 2.
enfieldfan
NRA Life Member since 1969
unrealpara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unrealpara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2009 at 6:40pm
thanks a heaps Big smile
that clears up a few things
.303 lithgow No.4 Mk1*
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2009 at 10:27am
your savage was a no4 mkI* - converted to mk2 - thus mkI/3 , and thats the one ive been looking for ..............lucky you i didnt find it first , congrats
unrealpara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unrealpara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2009 at 6:27pm

haha yeah it actually was a lucky find.

.303 lithgow No.4 Mk1*
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic