Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.303 vs deer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 9:34am
You have to run with the big dogs.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
NightTrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NightTrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 9:25pm
Klondike, I used the same rounds on a deer, here in Texas, a number of years ago. 120 yards , and it went down like a ton of bricks.

After dressing, we found that even though I had aimed just behind the right shoulder, the bullet hit it on the shoulder, broke the right leg, blew out both lungs and tore the left leg out of the shoulder. Heart, the whole of it was missing, just heart de tartar.  It was amazing thing to see.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 3:27am
Itsa shame you lost the heart..lotsa fine eatin, there
Loose wimmen tightened here
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 7:15am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Wow Hoadie! I did not think you ate heart.

I used to but at my advance age, I am younger than you, I stopped, no liver rather.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 7:50am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

When Unc was alive ( My Wifes Uncle who lived on the front lot where Boogie is now) He went across the road at our neighbor Terry's when Terry and his buddies were cleaning a couple of Deer they bagged that morning , he seen they were throwing out the liver and hearts, and also the ribs ...
He told Terry he was throwing away a lot that could be used !!!!  Terry said if he wanted all that , then he would save it for him each time he or his buddies bagged a deer !!!
Unc was as happy as could be !   Terry kept Unc in Deer hearts, Liver and ribs all season !!!!! 
Unc loved to cook, and had several different ways to cook heart..... he made a soup with the ribs , boiled them until the meat came off the bone , then did away with the bone....added noodles and veggies .. seasoning .....  I miss that Ole Mans cooking , and company !!!

Funny thing, He laughed after that and said , I dont need to go hunting now !!!  Terry is giving me all the meat I need!!!
I also forgot to mention Terry gave him the necks also !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
NightTrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NightTrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 8:42am
WOW, another rib soup cooker! What the chance of that?

Yeah, lost the heart. The strength of the animal was lost, as well.

We cooked up most everything else. Deer menudo and chili, "Lights" and cornbread.
Brains and hominy. WE were out there for a week and ate well. Wives, too.

Deer vindaloo was great on that Wednesday. Each family did a different dish each day. My wife is from India and we had deer vindaloo. try that one out.

Side note: My No.4 Mk 1 was the only rifle to drop a deer. Everyone else was using  either .270's or
.243's. and in each case the deer ran away, prompting a sweep to find them.  All were found but the
.243 dropped deer ran the farthest.

Next year am going to the 150's. I'm partial to Nosler Partions. This gun loves them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 9:07am
Sounds like a win , win to me.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 9:15am
Hoadie's Deer Heart: (Works best w/3-4 hearts)

Soak heart in salted water & clean blood out thoroughly.
After a while, drain heart (place it upside down to drain), & check for any left over blood.(If there is some-repeat first step).
Slice off top, & hollow out heart (like you would a green pepper).
Slice/dice heart muscle meat finely. Put into glass or ceramic bowl & refridgerate..
Wash heart again.Drain.

Fine chop onions - add minced garlic, salt & pepper.
Add this mixture to minced pork.
Drain mixture. Add to the diced heart muscle meat & mix well.

Pre-heat oven to 350-375.

In a pot place sweet Italian sausage around the base (circling the outter edge of pot base)

Stuff hearts with meat mixture, & place inside sausage "circle".

Place bacon rashers across top of the stuffed hearts.

In a fry pan, sautee 3 - 4 cloves of garlic in butter.Just as butter is about to burn, add a full glass of WHITE dry wine.(It will foam up - but dissipate quickly)

Now pour butter,garlic / wine mixture over the hearts>

Put a lid on it, & stick it in the oven till done.

Enjoy

Loose wimmen tightened here
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 11:01am
Unc may have done something like that ... dont remember for sure , he also did some with rice , kinda like a rice dressing dish !!  in that he also had some of the liver also .... it was yummy !!!!

Thats the only way I eat liver , is in a dressing , like rice dressing .... Lisa's Aunt makes one for Thanksgiving and Christmas only !!!  I go right to it if Im visiting for one of those times .... or she brings us some when they all come up here for Christmas eve !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 2:35pm
Google for "Umble Pie" (not Humble).
Back in Surrey in the late 60's we killed a nuisance deer & the Gardener who was a defacto groundskeeper as well, got all the organ meat & made some. It was really good.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 7:50pm
i got my deer this weekend about 8am on Saturday , took out the grill , the left quarter pannel , hood , bumper and left headlight just to start the list , derivable but just barely , now dealing with the insurance claim , im not fond of deer today .............................

big doe , i was about to go on duty at the club so the sheriff said the guy that was calling in when i called him would take her - did not go to waste , im not fond of deer right now .............

did i mention im not fond of deer at this moment ? ....................
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 5:14am
Its amazing how much damage they can do.
We had a Ford Taurus totaled by one the tried to jump off a 20' cliff & fell through the windshield! I have no idea why it tried the jump in the first place.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 6:53am
I hit one with a snow plow at about 35mph , took the head right off, broke off all the legs.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 6:56am
and then to see some one like My Son hit one and only knock his License plate of the front of the truck , and break 3 ribs in the deer !!!

Guess its all in the way of impact !! how and what spot !!!
"White Rhino"

sci999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sci999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 9:16am
hey everyone, new to this site! so I came across an old 303 Enfield I believe it's a SMLE as it has the flip up rear sight. sportorized. has a brass button of sorts on the side of butt stock, brass butt stock w/ flip up storage area (assume for cleaning kit? ammo?)
so my guess is a ww1 mark 3 ?

I am in the US and want to hunt whitetail deer with it. I have several boxes of fresh PPU ammo, 150gr. unlike most of the people on this site I am putting a 3-9x40 scope on it. I plan on sighting it in about 2-3" high at 100 yards. now the question is: how far do you think I can shoot with this set up, the ammo I have and effectively kill a deer . I do hunt several field up behind my house where a few years ago I shot a deer at 300 yards in (with a .270) I really would love to get one w/ this 303 but afraid of not having enough killing power out to 300 yards with it.

thank you!
From the USA, dont' hold that against me!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 7:25am
Plenty of 'oomf' to harvest a deer at 300 yards. This caliber and rifle has been used for hunting for well over 100 years and has and will take any animal on the continent with proper shot placement. 150 grain is fine for deer sized animals. 180 for larger like moose and elk, etc.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic