Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folding stock Lee Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shongololo1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folding stock Lee Enfield
    Posted: July 30 2009 at 7:51am
Good day all

I saw a guy in Namibia who came up with a pretty good truck rifle idea.
What he does is shorten the barrel on old Lee Enfield rifles.
Then takes a R4 folding stock and adapt is to fit a Lee Enfield add a pistol grip and voila, a cheap super handy truck/hiking rifle. (although really ugly)

So I have this bubba'ed LE that is not getting used and thinking of converting it to somthing like this.
I assume it will be impossible to find a R4 Stock in Canada, so is there another type that will work that you are aware of?
I have to think one of you Aussies or Kiwi's on here may have seen somthing similar or done one up before?
What are your thoughts?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 9:27pm
I know one guy who sucessfully modified a side-folding shotgun stock to fit an Enfield.
IIRC it was a fairly simple modification, he used the thru bolt mounting for the shotgun stock, a washer to make up the difference in the outside of the bolt head, & a spacer to fill the socket & adjust the angle of the stock.
He also did a 45-70 conversion with an 18" barrel so I was a bit intimidated by a 6 3/4Lb folding stock 45-70.Ouch
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 10:31pm
Shamu can you get any pictures of that?
Richard/SIA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 2:21am
For a very clean "folding" stock just use one of my CAR-15 to Enfield adapters.

Fits the CAR-15 (M-16) stock and pistol grip to the Enfield action, collapses for transport, gives an adjustable length of pull too.

At over $3.00 a gallon for gas, I want it leaded, 100 octane, and my windshield washed!
Shongololo1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shongololo1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 3:15am
Richard,
I am not clear on this, does this stock fold down or does it only "retract"?
Also I know many companies wont ship to Canada anymore; Are you still willing to do that?

Springbok stuck in the cold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shongololo1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 3:23am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I know one guy who sucessfully modified a side-folding shotgun stock to fit an Enfield.
IIRC it was a fairly simple modification, he used the thru bolt mounting for the shotgun stock, a washer to make up the difference in the outside of the bolt head, & a spacer to fill the socket & adjust the angle of the stock.
He also did a 45-70 conversion with an 18" barrel so I was a bit intimidated by a 6 3/4Lb folding stock 45-70.Ouch
Do you know which brand of stock he went with?
Anyway You can get some details from him?
I'd hate to buy a folder only to realize it's not going to work.

Richard/SIA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard/SIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 4:04am
Originally posted by Shongololo1983 Shongololo1983 wrote:

Richard,
I am not clear on this, does this stock fold down or does it only "retract"?
Also I know many companies wont ship to Canada anymore; Are you still willing to do that?

It retracts, but is not much longer than many folders when collapsed.

Shipping to Canada has become an expensive pain due to our inbred state department and their exhorbitant fee's.

I can however, ship it to a U.S. town very near the border.

The stock itself and pistol grip are not included, but the necessary bolts are.

At over $3.00 a gallon for gas, I want it leaded, 100 octane, and my windshield washed!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 7:56am
I don't remember the brand, sorry.
He's a little hard to contact as he passed away a little while ago.
I think i know who currently owns the rifle, but he's out of town right now.
Let me see if I can find something out for you (this may take a week or two) so bear with me.

FWIW this little monster kicked like a mule, bellowed horribly, had a muzzle flash that'd take facial hair off & the stock did not have a nice cheek weld, even with iron sights. I fired exactly one round from it before I'd had enough.Confused

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 8:42am
Are you looking for folding or a collapsible stock?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shongololo1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 7:55am
Thanks Shamu much appreciated.
I can imagine the recoil will be bad, but I am a bigger guy should not be too big of a problem.
Cookie Monster; I am looking for a folding stock
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Shongololo1983 Shongololo1983 wrote:

Thanks Shamu much appreciated.
I can imagine the recoil will be bad, but I am a bigger guy should not be too big of a problem.
Cookie Monster; I am looking for a folding stock

Thats what I thought
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 8:14am
I PM'd the person who was the last known owner (& probably still is) hold in there I've asked him for the brand & some pics.
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 10:58am
Shamu let me know as well I have an old wall hanger that I may toy with some sfter market add ons
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 8:34pm
Still waiting for the owner (I think????) to get back from vacation.
IIRC there was some fitting needed on the synthetic pistol grip so it'd fit inside the butt socket.
Whatever you get it's going to need some work to fit as it obviously wasn't designed with the Enfield in mind. From what he said when we were playing with the rifle it was pretty basic filing & sanding to get a good fit. Once that was done  he seemed to think it was a fairly simple, if time consuming project as it was a file & fit......file & fit.... kind of deal.

It probably won't be as harsh on the shoulder if you stick to the original caliber BTW. Short-barreled 45-70 isn't "mild recoiling" whatever you put it in.Clown
One reason why he picked the 12 gage stock was that both the hinge & the buttpad was designed for something with a fair amount of recoil.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 9:07pm
For short range use, the 45 ACP conversion with stiff handloads (to 45,000 psi) looks pretty useful.
It probably won't be too hard on the shoulder either.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 11:12pm
Update:
I got a quick e-mail reply from the new owner. He's still on vacation travelling & will get me the info, send pictures when he gets back home in a couple of weeks.
He still has the rifle & likes it, but can't remember the details while he's a couple of hundred miles away from the rifle.

Film @ 11.Star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic