Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reloading for martini -enfied

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser98nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reloading for martini -enfied
    Posted: September 10 2009 at 12:20pm
 Tried to shoot the old gal with some pof surplus but stopped after two rounds.The first round looked bad and should have stopped me then as it was bulged badly but I moved on to another which was a complete case head seperation.Both primers were completely flatten.The rifle would not acccept expended cases before and would only take resized or unfired ammo.I think these a just way over the pressure for this rifle.So I'm debating how low I should go to.I think this rifle can handle low pressure jaketed bullet loads but I'm not opposed to trying cast lead either.Just wondering if there where any words of advise out there.Apperciate your time.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 5:46pm
I've heard a lot of bad things about POF ammo, mostly involving hangfires. Sounds like your rifle has sloppy chamber and headspace problems. Try some handloads using a 100 gr pistol bullet and about 10 grains of Unique.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 10:43pm
Smokey I like Unique as well I have several loads for shotgun and pistol using it. Never thought about using in it low pressure rifle loads, do you have any other information?
Thanks
The "Cookie Monster"
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 3:05am
I use UNIQUE and Alliant STEEL for light loads with short bullets in my rifles. Both work pretty well. Below about ten grains, you have to use some polyester fiber to hold the powder against the primer. Otherwise you'll get poor ignition and a bullet stuck partway down the barrel. At 12 grains to fifteen, the powder lights off without the polyester, but the bullet goes supersonic, making a loud snapping sound. I keep a few light loads with Hornady XTP hollowpoints to deal with rabid raccoons and the like. These loads also shoot pretty well for plinking and targets, you will need a 300 to 400 yard sight setting though at 100 yards. 
For the .30 cal rifles I use M1 Carbine bullets.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 9:55am
What caliber please?
Ed
mauser98nut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser98nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 11:44am
Sorry wasn't clear on that it is a 303.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser98nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 11:56am
Embarrassed guess I should spell enfield correctly while I'm at it.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 12:44pm
Lee shows a loading for a 180 grn lead bullet with XMP5744.  The 5744 is designed to replace BP in large volume cartridges, I really like it in 45-70.  I like unique, but the tiny loads require you to be diligent for safety.  Unique goes from "not quite enough" to "oops over pressure" very quickly.
You might also call IMR and see if they have a trail boss load for 303.  Since the rifle was probably designed for the earlier lead bullet round, I'd start with that.

Ed

Ed
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 12:36am
I rarely use the mechanical powder measurement stuff anymore.
For my reduced loads I select the appropriate size LEE "dipper" (I have the complete set).
I measure the charge, dump it into the case, and immediately seat the bullet.
That avoids the risk of "double charging". I use the LEE dippers for the extruded powders as well.

I use my RCBS auto-measure for full rifle charges with ball powders or fine-grained extruded powders (IMR4320). With that I do a quick visual check of powder level in the case, then seat the bullet.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 12:44pm
My favorite light load is  150 grain Hornady Spire point loaded on 22-23 grains of  SR4759: low pressure, Low recoil and very accurate. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
John Coleman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 10:05pm
A lot of the Martini-Enfield rifles in the US now are hand built Khyber Pass rifles imported from Afghanistan. They are not British rifles despite the markings. They were mostly sold by Southern Ohio Gun.  Also the original British rifles were converted around 1895 which would be before Mk VII ammo, but the real ones may be strong enough for it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=198940

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=73170

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser98nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 7:07am
Not a khyber pass rifle here and no import mark so it's been here for awhile.Had considered loading BP I do load it in 45-70 but bought some IMR 4759 to try with fresh cases.I think the POF was just over pressure at least that is my hope.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser98nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 1:18am
So almost nine years later I finally get back to it,no need to rush things! loaded up a box of reduced loads with 150 grain Hornady soft points and SR 4759. Took it to the range and let fly with better results but not as hoped .Primers are set back and I can see that the chamber is a bit rough my suspicion was that some one who didn't know what they were doing tried something .Definite head space problem and the one local gunsmith doesn't seem to keen on setting the barrel back due to it already having sights which is okay by me . Back to the drawing board.Ouch 
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 7:31pm
hi new here you don’t have to set the barrel back on a martini to correct h/s remove the breach block and strip it and take out the screw in the dove tail insert and tap it out the make a new insert and file fit  the tricky bit is drilling the firing pin hole . take some measurements and make a drill bit holder a small centre drill is the go set up in a drill press and take your time .never had to put the screw back in the insert.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic