Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

215gr heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 215gr heads
    Posted: June 01 2010 at 1:59am
Hi all,
several problems today when trying to reload 215gr heads.
many heads stuck inside the Lee seating die, even though I slightly lubricated inside of the die, i then used the RCBS die which fared a little better.
The heads were still loose once seated, you can turn them by hand in the case. I tried crimping them which i dont really like doing as i believe it shortens the case life??
the head was round nose was this part of the main problem of the bullets getting stuch on the seating part inside
should different 303 dies be used.

any pointers please
regards
douglas
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 2:11am
I'd guess the bullet seating stem inside the die has the wrong internal profile & is grabbing the heavy (round nosed?) bullets. Is the bullet seating depth correct? do the bullets (in particular any exposed soft lead at the nose show marks of having been snagged by the seating die?)

Also I'd check that the resizing die expander ball is set correctly & is in fact actually re sizing the case necks to the right diameter.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
douglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 5:01am
Hi there,
have tried sierra 174gr no problems, must be bullet size for roundnose too small, which is a pity, i will have to slug the bore as it might ned a larger bullet, a friend tried cerrosafe but what a job getting it out, we had to melt it with a hot rod which took ages.
regards
douglass
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 6:18am
Can you mic (or caliper) the bullet in question?
Something definitely sounds "off".
How about I.D. on a resized, but unloaded (no bullet seated) case?

I'd hate to think there wasn't a fix beyond swapping out bullets!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 8:55am
Try setting the part of the die that accepts the bullet tip a little deeper, and back the die out a little.
BTW, did you mike the bullets?
EnfieldBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I'd guess the bullet seating stem inside the die has the wrong internal profile & is grabbing the heavy (round nosed?) bullets. Is the bullet seating depth correct? do the bullets (in particular any exposed soft lead at the nose show marks of having been snagged by the seating die?)

Also I'd check that the resizing die expander ball is set correctly & is in fact actually re sizing the case necks to the right diameter.

I've experienced the same thing as far as the bullets being loose in the case after seating , I have an older set of RCBS dies , not even dated , not marked F.L. either...Here's a tip I learned.... Substitute the .311 expander ball for a .308 cal one... I know the expander balls are slightly smaller than what I just posted , but it makes it easier to understand what I'm talking about.
When you resize the case , you will feel that the .308 expander will barely touch the inside neck , it will provide a better friction fit for your bullets... And I have not noticed any problems from doing this , and I feel a whole lot better with a secure bullet seated in the case.

Regarding the bullet sticking in the seating die , what my brother did was to take out the seater plug , and drill it out slightly with a chamfering tool , changing the shape a little in the plug...This cured the sticking bullet problem.

All the best
Bob
<><
Gun Nut 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gun Nut 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2015 at 7:59am
The original ammunition for the .303 British had a 215 gr full metal jacket bullet. I suspect the sporting soft points may have a slightly broader profile, owing to the fact theirs cores are insert from top to bottom, where as in the full metal jackets the core is insert bottom to top. I load a tapered LYMAN  205 gr. cast bullet ( Mold, 314299), with both LEE and RCBS dies and have had no problem, but then again the cast bullet profile is a bit different. I do have some 215 gr sporting bullets, but haven't attempted to load them, preferring to shoot cast instead. Bob's idea about reshaping the seating plug sound like a solution, a lot of seating plugs seem to be designed with tapered bullet tips in mind. I'll have to keep in mind should I switch to jacketed bullets.
Gun Nut 4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic