Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vihtavouri Powder for 303

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303hogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vihtavouri Powder for 303
    Posted: August 26 2010 at 5:24pm

Has anyone tried the smoking hot loads in the Vihtavouri book for .303 British? They didn't publish the pressure readings. These are max loads:

150 grn Mega - 41.7 grs of N133 - 2949 fps

174 grn HPBT - 42.9 grs of N540  - 2595 fps

Is there some special make of .303 that handles these loads? I have a BSA 1915 parts gun.

I have some Woodleigh 215 grn to load. Anyone use Vihtavouri powder for 215 grn RNSP, nothing is listed in the loading book. Any favorite loading data for 215 grn is welcome.

I'm totally new, so I apologize if this has been covered. I didn't see anything in my quick glance at the forums.

Thanks, Dale

ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 8:12pm
Whew...I wouldn't mess with those loads. Maybe done up on a P14(or a Ruger No 1)?  I'm perfectly happy with 2400 fps and a 174 FMJ. I don't have a Vihtavouri book, but my Speer manual lists the guns the loads were worked up in.

Those do sound pretty hot, and I wouldn't risk an old rifle with them.
303hogn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303hogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 11:56pm

It doesn't give a make on the rifle; it only says 23 1/3" barrel at a 1 in 10 twist.

Skimming through the manual I didn't see wild loads in the other calibers I own but the .303 is hot.

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 3:31pm
I use 41 grains of Vit 140 behind a sierra 174 grain bullet. It gives a muzzle velocity of approx 2500fps. Standard milsurp ammo gives approx 2450 fps. The load is accurate reasonable recoil and isn't too hot pressure wise. The lighter ammo will be faster.  I use the loads in a #4mk1 and it will handle anything on 4 legs you're likely to shoot provided you place the bullet in the right area. 
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

303hogn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303hogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 7:54pm
Thanks Tony,
Sounds like a sweet load, a good pig/deer load for sure.
I have shot one deer with my SMLE using the 150 grn speer with a max load of R15, no complaints.

I've been absent from shooting and hunting for about 10 years and then the feral pigs invaded. They just showed up last fall, so it's not a swine republic yet but I'm preparing for the worst. Some folks about a mile away shot/trapped a handful in the 300 lb range. Mostly close range shooting on my land so the heavier bullets should be fine. 

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2010 at 3:20am
You're welcome. Never had any problems with it and neither have lads who on occasion"borrowed" some when they ran out.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

bivvyman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bivvyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

You're welcome. Never had any problems with it and neither have lads who on occasion"borrowed" some when they ran out.
The most perfect load i used, including borrowd ;) cheers Wink Just a note, tried & tested on deer up to 150kg within my comfertable zone of 200yds at the moment.

Any one got a good 150gr head load ??Embarrassed
Its our god given right to hunt.

Genesis 27:3 Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
http://www.sweethillshootingsyndicate.co.uk/
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 5:15am
Got any vit 133? 40 grains should give you in the region of 2800 fps. Give me a ring I should have some info for for vit 140 and 150 grain heads somewhere.

Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic