Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avro Lancaster's weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avro Lancaster's weapons
    Posted: January 20 2011 at 11:00am

Eight 303 in machine-guns. Nose Gunner:- 2 X 0.303" Browning machine guns, 14,000 rounds. Fire Power 300 rounds/minute each. Frazer Nash Turret. Mid Upper Gunner:- 2 X 0.303" Browning machine guns, 12,000 rounds. Fire Power 300 rounds/minute each.

Frazer Nash Turret. Rear Gunner:- 4 X 0.303" Browning machine guns, 10,000 rounds. Fire Power 300 rounds/minute each. Mounted in a Frazer Nash Turret. Hydraulically operated. Early in 1944 a new turret by Rose was becoming evident. It was equipped with 2 X 0.5" Browning machine guns and was mainly used by No.1 Group. This turret was large enough to house two gunners.
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 7:41pm
isn't 300 rpm low for a Browning, assuming we're talking about a 1919 model?

those are beautiful planes btw.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 8:40am
Archer that information may be for the Vicker which had a slower cycle rate this information was given to me I did not research it
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 12:29pm
I have been in the tail turret of a Lanc.It traversed by hand crank.Most T/G's removed the perspex pane in their front & were "face to face" with mother nature.
The poor T/Gs were no match for the Hispano cannons mounted in the German planes.
I read the last letter my buddie's mother recieved from her brother, before he was shot down.
"...Monica, I may as well be throwing popcorn at them, for all the good it does."

Sadly, only 2 left flying in the world, now.One here in Hamilton,Ontario & one in England.
Still, the purr of those Merlins is UNMISTAKABLE! When she's joined with the Spit & a "Hurry", it just about makes ya cry.
Beautiful
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 10:07pm
F.O.I.: the Fraser Nash mid upper turret was model FN.50.The armament was Brownings, It had the biggest bomb bay of ALL bombers of WWII.It was a 1936 design.It was derived from the MANCHESTER bomber.BUT..that programme was spurred by the first flight of the Boeing 299- a year earlier-later to become the B-17.299 displayed combination of defensive & offensive arms,speed,altitude & range.RAF wanted something superior.THIS was the way of future airwar.
Germany was now the likley enemy-so range had to be @ least 2,000 miles,& defend itself in DAYLIGHT.
Fraser Nash was developed by 2 Ex-Royal Flyind Corp pilots."Tommy"Thompson & "Archie"Fraser-Nash.
See..I know ALL KINDS o useless stuff!
Hoadie
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 10:07am

My Uncle Walter was a Lancaster PO in the RCAF. He was shot down in 1944 and buried in Rheinberg Germany.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 4:46pm
My favourite recollections of my father, were the trips to Williamstown RAAF base for Airshows back in the mid 50's.
 Lancasters and Lincolns were beautiful to a young boy, filled with war stories and wide eyed at the majestic aircraft, I was an eager player when asked if I would like to sit in the cockpit or gunners seat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:05pm
I am envious of you. 
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 2:39am
Don't be, my father was killed when I was nine, left a big hole in my life.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 3:41am
I am sorry for your loss.
Rockape2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockape2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 7:26am
Fingers crossed soon to be another in England that will take to the sky. Two brothers have owned a Lancaster as a memorial to there older brother who died while aircrew in a lancaster. The aircraft has been allowed to do taxi runs but not to take to the air, now new engine are being fitted so we may see her fly again.
I had the honour to have a flight in the rear turret of the Battle of Britain Memorial flight Lanc some 25+ years ago. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 7:46am
That must have been quite a ride.
Rockape2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockape2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 8:00am
Yes it was. I was stationed there and had just finished my duty, when they were taking her up for a test flight after doing engine runs after a major service. It was right place right time. Never forget that trip, we flew over Lincoln Cathederal when the Spitfire and Hurricain joined us, they were also doing test flights. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 8:29am
Wow!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:03pm
I can hear the Merlins! Nothing like 'em on THIS planet!
Hoadie
EnfieldNut82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldNut82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:15pm
Wow,
I saw a lancaster here in my local airshow. That thing was a amazing plane one of my favorite bombers from ww2.
I can't imagine riding in one. I just thought it was amazing walking through a b 17
thanks
Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic