Enfield 2A .308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield 2A .308
    Posted: September 17 2006 at 6:28am
How ya like that south african ammo? any miss fires? feed problems?
just went out and shot the mauser and the 7.62x25mm CZ 52 will go back in a few minutes and shoot the ishy
                                                    The White Rhino
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
NRAJOE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRAJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 2:44am
My mag matches also...got an xtra mag just for giggles and grins.

It does have what seems to be paint....about 90% left...shiny....was done a long time ago...no import stamp on mine.

So far I've only shot S.African .308 surplus in it....good ammo.
Come join my MSN community..........408 MEMBERS STRONG!
Manager: North American Gunrunners...........
http://groups.msn.com/NorthAmerican
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 1:55am
NRAJOE, mine has 74 painted on the left side of the stock, all matching sr#s, even on the Mag. 4 stock repaires 1 on the comb, the other 3 on the upper hand gaurds.
Is yours painted black on the metal parts? other than that im pretty satisfied with it, i havent shot it yet. its been raining here every day since UPS dropped the rifle off at my house, well they had to leave it at Unks house because i was not home yet and my son is 13 and a minnor cannot sighn for weapons or ammo. it helps out that my wifes Unkle lives on my front lot, so he can sighn for things like that.
Well the price you paid was great. you got a great deal. mine was $192.95 after shipping handling and hand pick fee.  got it at AIMSurplus.
I would go out on the back porch and shoot but the horses are in the back pasture right now,so i will just wait till the rain stops and go to my range that is if the horses go back to the front pasture maybe this evening when my daughter gets them to ride.
                                               The White Rhino
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
NRAJOE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRAJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 12:55am
I lucked out last October and found an Ishy 2A1 in very good condition...ex.bore...all number match for $100 otd.

Old lady at a table...had $125 on it...asked if she'd take $100...she said yup.

Buttstock is slightly lighter than the rest of the wood with "61" painted on it...shes a thumper...
Come join my MSN community..........408 MEMBERS STRONG!
Manager: North American Gunrunners...........
http://groups.msn.com/NorthAmerican
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 8:30am
The 2a came in what a beuty even though it has black paint on the metal.
but that can be remadied latter.
                                   The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 5:57am

yea! your right Hoadie, Budeiser, yuck! I got stuck with about a case and a half of some one elses Beer(budweiser) after a trail ride/camping trip one weekend. the other guys wives were hiding their beer in me and my wifes cooler so they wouldnt get more drunk than we were. and when i got home i had all this beer that wasnt mine. wow what a week end.

"White Rhino"

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 9:01am
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

Oh Yea! I shoot beer cans filled with water, with a .22 its great. if ya want to mess with some one line them up some empty ones and fill yours.
they usualy leave thinking they didnt hit nothing unless they hit one at the bottom and make it jump.

In Civil war re-enacting, we'd take cans of Budweiser & set 'em @ 100 yds out in front of the artilery.(We used 12 Pdr Napoleons, & Parrot rifles.) We'd fire the reg. charge(No projectile) & the cans would explode.Kinda cool - GREAT crowd reaction!! It only Budweiser - no loss there.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 2:08am
Not just the primers Dave some of the brass is very thin.  Some brass marked up FXP and HNM is very thin. I reloaded some using my standard loads and had case separation on several rounds so I dumped the lot before something silly went wrong. I stick to the remington or winchester cases they haven't let me down.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 11:27pm
Dave,  I ran into that probleme allready. I had been saving 9mm brass for awhile, when i finnaly got my dies. started decaping 5 cases down the line plink! broke the decaping pin. some how i got stuck with 15 cases that were Berdan primed. havent messed with reloading the 9mm since. now that i got my decaping pins when it gets cooler im going to do some. ive got a couple of buddies that save there spent brass for me, just wish they would shoot .303 and bring me the brass.
                                                     The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 5:10pm
Here I go again the Prophet of doom!!!! Just watch out for EX Mil brass as it can depending on where it came from be Berdan Primed & not Boxer  (twin flash holes compared with single ) I got caught once with a batch of a 1000 once fired .223 brass ! It was Australian manufacture ! Bloody Berdan primed the lot of it !

Dave
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 10:00am
Oh Yea! I shoot beer cans filled with water, with a .22 its great. if ya want to mess with some one line them up some empty ones and fill yours.
they usualy leave thinking they didnt hit nothing unless they hit one at the bottom and make it jump.
"White Rhino"

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 8:25am
blows up REEAALLL good!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 7:29am
Originally posted by White Rhino White Rhino wrote:

Thanks Dave, the pressure and the tolerance is the catcher here. some thing you wont see whith the naked eye and its not common knowledge
to the novice and I my self was not aware of it. the pressure differance also i was not aware of. Thanks again i will do some more reserch on this and start looking for some old mil surp brass and ammo, just wish i would of saved all the mil ammo brass that i use to have.
I remember dumping buckets of spent brass from the range into 55gal drums when i was in the army. Man we could have a blast with one of them drums today.
                           The "White Rhino"

White Rhino,

yep after loading all the Mil-surp brass we could fill the drums with water and bust a few caps into them.

Cookie Monster
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 6:48am
Thanks Dave, the pressure and the tolerance is the catcher here. some thing you wont see whith the naked eye and its not common knowledge
to the novice and I my self was not aware of it. the pressure differance also i was not aware of. Thanks again i will do some more reserch on this and start looking for some old mil surp brass and ammo, just wish i would of saved all the mil ammo brass that i use to have.
I remember dumping buckets of spent brass from the range into 55gal drums when i was in the army. Man we could have a blast with one of them drums today.
                           The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 3:23pm
Lithgow has hit the Nail on the Head ! THe chamber of a miltary fire arm is built with a over size Chamber to accomidate dirty ammo & fouling ! THe Nato Round is 7.62 x51 (my typo in the first post ) The major factor is that the Nato stuff was loaded down around  the 43,000 psi level for these Enfields  where as normal .308 win is loaded up to 52,000 PSI . There are a number of loads that  are right down in pressure though ! But don't expect a great Case life from commercial Brass ! Try & buy ex mil once fired stuff .

A few low pressure  loads are      150 gn  bullet

IMR 4831  46gn  approx  32600
                                                      HERC 2400  25gns           36700
                                                      H4831         50gns            37200
                                                      H4350         47gns            37400

Please note these pressures are in Copper units per Squ  Inch
   AS a matter of interst the differance between CUP & PSI is that CUP is the American methord  which uses a Copper Crusher arranged to meassure  the Chamber pressure at right angles to the bore & PSI is the English  methord which uses a crusher disk (also of copper ) to measure the Bolt thrust & then is translated into Breech pressure

Dave
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 10:34am
Lithgow,and Ed Hill,   Hey guys thanks for the info, as an ex millitary Man i never put one thought in there being any difference in the two rounds, I've been shooting store bought rounds in my spanish gaurdia for years. but did get better groups with millitary rounds when i used to have access to the real stuff. then first time i shot the spanish was at a 20 gauge spent shell at 100 yds and hit it. never did that with winchester, on first shot. thanks guys for this valuble info.  and Dave i still want to hear your input also, and anyone elsethat has some good info. the site was great Ed, thanks.
                             The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic