Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7.62x39 vs british 303 bullet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsiets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.62x39 vs british 303 bullet
    Posted: April 13 2011 at 12:36pm
i just recently bought a sks and was looking into reloading for that and for my enfield.  I noticed that the lead for both bullets is .311 diameter. my question is are they interchangeable so that i could just order a bunch of lead at once and get the volume discount or would this not work.  i have done some digging around and have not been able to find a answer. maybe the length of the lead is different. if somone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Justin
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 2:53pm
Try Hornady 174 grain FMJ/BT. Diameter is 3105 I use them in the #4 mk 1 and the dragunov 762x54. The dragunov is a brand new barrel the enfield is slightly worn when I couldn't get hornady I used sierra 174 grain 311 dia the dragunov worked fine. Slug the barrel and check the bore diameter of your weapon it may come out at 310 as the Eastern block has a habit of rounding down from 310 to 308.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 10:24pm
The biggest difference is going to be the weight & the resulting length.
You have to seat them short for there to be enough length inside the case neck for a good grip & this makes the feeding from a magazine a bit problematic.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
jsiets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsiets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 2:55am
thanks for the input now i get to go bullet shopping, oh darn i get to go to the gun shop. 
John Coleman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Coleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 6:56am
The .311" 150 grain bullets work fairly well in both cartridges.
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 2:07am
Hungarian 762x54 rounds are 150 grain 310 diameter ( just checked a pulled head ) . I suggest you use 123 grain heads as they are common weight for both 303 and 762x39 that should lessen any feed problems for the sks. However the optimum weight for enfield is 174 grain. Lighter heads increase the velocity, therefore throwing the enfield sights out and will increase barrel wear on the enfield.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

jsiets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsiets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 12:09am
maybe i will just get 174 grain for the enfield and then some 125s for the sks.  thanks again for the input from everybody.  i guess i will just have to go to cabellas and see what trips my trigger.  cheapest you can find 303 ammo around here that does not have crimped in primers is 30 bucks a box.  hopefully cabellas will have some privi ammo when i go there.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 8:29am
I've had good results using 124gr SKS bullets in the .303 British and 7.7 Japanese.
I use about 12gr Unique, shoots well out to 100 yd, and kicks (not) like a .22 rimfire.
I never tried blasting them out at maximum velocity.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 9:24am
Try "ammotogo.com" for mail order Prvi .303 ammo they have a 150 Gr soft point for hunting & a 174 Gr FMJ for target work. IIRC neither are anywhere near $30.00 & it is reloadable as well.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Kysusha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kysusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2011 at 6:19pm
Guys, I use 125gn SP .311 Barnaul pills and AR2206 powder - 42gns. No problems at all. MV about 2,700 though I have yet to put the chrony on it [estimated from the charts].  Absolutley flattens the deer I shoot at and as for goats...! They drop on the spot. You can pump it right up to 3,000 fps, but case life is shortened and the bang is bigger! 

Going under 125gn in the .303 is problamatic in terms of accuracy; but these pills really get the job done.
Evil is when good men do nothing about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic