Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Morganza Spillway opening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morganza Spillway opening
    Posted: May 06 2011 at 10:53am
On the 16th the Corps of Engineers will open the spill way ...
If this happens I may flood !!!  They are opening the Bonnie Carre Monday and then they will make a decision after to see if it takes some of the pressure off the Mississippi river.
Im in the Morganza spill way Back water ..right on Lake Verret ...

Wish Me Luck !!!!  We did just put a new battery in Boogies Boat and went try it out on the Lake today ...Gross Marina is loading up every thing they can in preparations for the flood !!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 11:44am
I'm sorry to hear that, Krestan. I hope everything works out and nobody floods.

Eric
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 12:05pm
Thanks Eric , Im still trying to get with the Police Juror to get Him out here to look at our Levee . and ask how high He thinks it will get !!!
They are talking about it getting deeper/higher than 1973 ..which was the last time the Morganza was opened ...

Gov. Bobby Jindal, who took a helicopter trip with corps officials this morning,  told reporters at the Governor's Mansion this afternoon that he activated the Louisiana National Guard in response to the rising river levels and the Morganza opening.

This would be the first time the emergency spillway has been used since 1973, when another record high river threatened to undermine and destroy the Old River Control Structure that blocks the Mississippi from flowing down the Atchafalaya.

In a message sent to New Orleans corps officials on Tuesday, Maj. Gen. Michael Walsh said hydraulics engineers have forecast that the Mississippi could be cresting at 1.9 million cubic feet per second at Red River Landing, below the Morganza Spillway and across from Angola State Prison. The "trigger" to open the spillway is a flow of 1.5 million cubic feet past that landing, which will be hit next Wednesday.

Corps officials are quickly modeling the effects of opening Morganza on Morgan City and other Terrebonne and St. Mary parish communities. Since the early 1970s, the flow of 30 percent of the Mississippi's water into the Atchafalaya watershed has resulted in sediment filling large areas of open water and wetlands, potentially reducing the water storage capacity of the floodway.

Jindal said the state will use that  modeling to make specific plans for evacuations, placement of sandbags and distribution of other resources.

"It's like hurricane season: You hope for the best, prepare for the worst," Jindal said after returning to the Governor's Mansion from a flyover of the river and area around the spillway.

"We haven't seen flooding like this in quite awhile," he noted. "The water will be higher and the duration will be longer" than what Louisiana has dealt with in recent years. But, he noted, "The corps is not anticipating overtopping of mainline levees along the river."

Separately, Jindal has asked for federal activation of the guard to allow federal reimbursement for state expenses.

On Tuesday, Terrebonne Parish President Michel Claudet declared a state of emergency because of potential flooding in the towns of Gibson, Bayou Black, Bull Run Road and Southdown Mandalay.

The corps routinely notifies individuals who live or work within the wide spillway area at the beginning of spring high water seasons that the spillway could be opened. Additional notices will be sent out over the next week, and individuals living in the spillway are expected to be contacted in person before an opening, a corps spokeswoman said. 

Corps officials also are debating when to begin opening the Bonnet Carre Spillway above New Orleans. That could occur on Monday or Tuesday, if the water speed reaches 1.25 million cubic feet per second at Red River Landing by then.

The corps also is considering a proposal by the Pontchartrain Levee District to direct sediment-laden water into the Labranche Wetlands, which has been proposed as a wetland restoration pilot project by the Pontchartrain Levee District, which governs levees in St. Charles Parish. But the corps version of the proposal would require construction of a siphon to move water from the spillway over guiding levees into the wetlands, which would take several years to design and build. 

On Tuesday, the corps dynamited a section of levee just north of Cairo, Ill., to open another spillway in an effort to reduce pressure on levees around that town.

John Barry, vice president of the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority - East and author of Rising Tide, a book about the 1927 Mississippi River flood, said the high water expected below New Orleans during the next few weeks also will overtop a low levee segment at the Bohemia Spillway, with water flowing east into wetlands in Plaquemines Parish.  

The openings are the result of repeated passage of thunderstorms across parts of the Mississippi and Ohio river basins over the past three weeks, which comes on top of an already swollen river partly caused by spring snow melt.

Despite the high water levels, officials don't expect all of the bays of either spillway in Louisiana will be opened to relieve pressure on levees farther south, including those in the New Orleans area.

Sponsored Links

/* */ < ="text/" ="http://adsyndication.msn.com/delivery/getads.js">< ="http://ac3.msn.com/de.ashx?adunitid=9755&v=pubm12&w=400&h=200&=http%3A//www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2011/05/record_high_river_likely_to_re.&ref=http%3A//www.google.com/%3Fsa%3Dt%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D3%26ved%3D0CDEQFjAC%26%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.nola.com%252Fweather%252Findex.ssf%252F2011%252F05%252Frecord_high_river_likely_to_re.%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Ding%2520of%2520the%2520Morganza%2520spillway%2520%26ei%3DW7bETfaNEsnr0gGE66n_Bw%26usg%3DAFQjCNGOOSOQLDzJXIMfx5ACiyh8aQAEZw&lmt=1304737381&tz=300&cc=100&dt=1304737384159&uh=768&uw=1366&uah=738&uaw=1366&cd=24&npl=16&nmime=58&ja=true&app=Netscape&his=6&plf=Win32" allowtransparency="true" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" ="0" ="0" width="400" border="0" height="200" scrolling="no">

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 12:38pm
Best of luck, WR!  We just came from Las Vegas ( picked up a puppy) and it's already bone dry,
quite a contrast.

Ed
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 12:45pm
One Good thing is We have not had rain here in quite some time .....But the Lake is up and the launch down the road from Me , the water is up high enough for Me and Boogie to take His boat to the lake down that canal and Bayou .....and Boogies New boat is a good size , We normally would take the boat to Attakapas Landing and launch it...
"White Rhino"

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 3:55pm
Good luck with it WR hope you don't have to evacuate your home.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 10:06pm
Pulling for you,not that it'll do much good here in MD.
Are your homes going to flood, or just the property?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 10:55pm
Not taking a chance Im Loading up all My Guns and try to move My ammo too ...And Burn every thing else before we leave ...
Sad thing is We cant get no answer's other than Yes its going to flood ...cant get an answer on How deep either !!!
We have found one map that says our area will get 0-5 feet , then we read other articles and give different depths of water .... And they are saying its going to be worse than 1973 ...
Not in 73 I know the House across the road from Me went under and the house next door to the other house I just bought went under , I was told the House I just bought had water lapping at the floor joists ....
So any how what ever happens ..well it Happens ..I have flood insurance on this house But not on the one I just bought .. But that house needs work on the inside any ways so Im not to worried about it ...
We also found out that the Flood insurance will cover this flood because the Corps has said weather or not they open the Morganza spillway the water will top the levee system in that area ...so they have to open to keep from having a greater disaster !!!! 
What Im getting sick of is some people around here getting all up in to the face of the elected officials and blaming them for this flood ....
Like I told My Buddy down the road ...Oh Well why bitch about it ...We cant stop it and it was designed for this .....

PS . All You Guys north of ME in the Mississippi valley , Dont flush that toilet for a couple of weeks !!!!
"White Rhino"

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 11:28pm
Here is the press release I had to search for ...

Press Release #1
Friday, May 6, 2011
12:00 Noon
X:\Kim\My Documents\WORD\Hurricane Katrina\Press Release.doc
For Immediate Release
Upcoming Flood Waters
The Assumption Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness declared a State of
Emergency for Assumption Parish on Thursday, May 5, 2011.
The Assumption Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness is
currently collecting data from the National Weather Service and the Corps of Engineers
in order to evaluate some of the predictions and effects of the water levels in Assumption
Parish. Staff is obtaining elevation data on the levee tops and some road ways to
determine the effects of the predictions being made. Parish is also placing sand and
sandbags in designated areas throughout the Parish for anyone needing to protect their
homes.
Officials of the Corps of Engineers have stated that this flood event may be AT or
ABOVE the levels experienced in 1973. Necessary precautions and preparations should
be taken.
For further information, continue to monitor local radio and television stations
"White Rhino"

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:48am
OK , So Far I have been able to find out that the flood waters will come up on My side slowly . Since they will be from back water flooding ...seems that what water goes down the Atchafalaya from the Morganza spillway it will come through the Avoca Island area and back up to Lake Verret area ..Im just about 5 minute boat ride up the canal from Lake Verret ..if You go fast ..I have paddled My Pirogue to the Lake in the past ..not a bad paddle ...
So Im stopping My efforts and will load up when I see it get close to the top of My levee ...
As for the Corps inundation Map put out yesterday ....We should get 0 to 5 feet in My area ... One of My naighbors said that is supposed to be measured from sea level ....????   so if thats correct ..The water should come right to the top of My Levee system behind My house ....
Wish Me luck Guys ..if Not I will be loading Boogies Boat with all My Guns ..may have to leave the ammo Censored
"White Rhino"

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 4:31am
Seal it in ammo cans, use lots of duck tape, tie it down with a cable or chain to something real solid.
Sorry mate it's the only advice I can think of that is (maybe) helpful.

Does the state of emergency help those prepared in advance, if you get my drift?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:57am
Shamu , Im hoping for the best ...I have been here in the past when it flooded ..I was able to take a boat from My front porch and push pole all the way to the Highway with My 2 kids , 2bales of hay , 2 bags of feed and 3 tool boxes ....
My drive is 225 yards long ... did not have any water get into the house then ... and the house up front had water to the thresh hold .... so Im hoping for the best here ...
I am getting the camper ready to pull out if it does get bad ...grab the Guns and to hell with every thing else !!!! LOL!!!!
Thats what insurance is for ..and I do have Flood insurance also !!!!
"White Rhino"

Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 7:18pm
They were just talking about it on the news here.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 8:59pm
Take pictures & document.
That way you can always say all your guns were lost in a tragic flood when the U.N. comes a callin' some time in the future. Lots of people will say that but you'll be able to have a power point presentation!Wink
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 9:56pm
Great Idea Shamu !!!!!
"White Rhino"

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 1:26am
All mine were tragically lost in a tornado & flood while camping in the Ozarks, So were FIRESTARTER's just ask AIF, he was posting all over the 'net trying to find out if any of us survived.Evil Smile
Sept 23 rd 2006 IIRC.
StarStarStarStarStarStarStarStar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic