Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.315 Sporting Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote #4Mk1(T) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .315 Sporting Rifle
    Posted: September 23 2006 at 3:27pm

Found this on the Ishapore web page. Obviously an Enfield based sporter but .315 (8mm)?? According to this they are still making them.

http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/5.htm

Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 7:48pm
I have seen that before. I wonder if the parts will inerchange with the original rifles.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 8:44pm
I've heard of 8mm-303 wildcats but this is the first I've ever seen of one in the flesh as it were . I've seen barrels that slug out at .314/5 but they were on standard MkIII's

Dave
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 10:43pm
Is that 8mm  on a .303 case or is it the Mauser 8mm round ?? 

The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 10:51pm
Pretty sure it is not a 303 necked up. I have seen something about it before and I cant think where.
Pretty certain it is a rimless round. Dont quote me on that though.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 2:27pm
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/ammunition/sc/14.htm.

The .315 in the flesh

Dave
Cosantoir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosantoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 6:43am
It's the old Mannlicher 8mmx50R cartridge.

TRX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 8:32pm
> http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/5.htm

I'd like to get one of those stocks... the magazine and front sight look Enfield-ish. I don't see the charger bridge, which is probably irrelevant for a sporting rifle. I wish the picture was larger; it almost looks like there's a bolt handle on the left side. Or maybe just a flipped image. Also the ironmongery on the back of the bolt, unless it's something that's not even part of the gun.

As far as 8mm Mannlicher... it might have been intended for sale in ex-British countries that prohibit civilians from having firearms chambered in military calibers.

Though the magazine looks like a standard SMLE 10-round mag, the page says the capacity is 5 cartridges.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 9:46pm
The caliber is the Old Austro-Hungarian military round;  244 grain bullet among other loads. It is one of the few, and I mean very few, centerfire rifles you can buy in India. The caliber was chosen to limit the availibility of ammo.  The Indian Government does load it for the chosen few permitted to own a rifle. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 1:39am
The .315 rifles have a poor rep for accuracy, but that could be due to a very loose acceptable accuracy tolerance, and that Indian Gunowners probably don't get much chance to practice.
Their police often have never fired a gun unless they had prior military training, and those police issued a rifle in high crime districts are given only ten rounds they must account for and no rounds for practice.

A good gunsmith could probably make one of the .315 rifles into a good shooter, with a properly taylored handload perhaps.
TRX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 8:05pm
I found a "Lee Speed" subforum on nitroexpress.com. A message there said a number of Lee Speeds were built in 8x50R for the Raj market since the governor of India had prohibited civilian use of .303 in the late 1890s.

eljefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eljefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 10:43pm
Seems like i found my self a sticky.Am from India, now in Oz, just bought myself a no.4 smelly and suggest you visit indiansforguns.com to know more about 'our' 315
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was
a weapon of math disruption.
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 5:06am
Hey Eljefe. I've been checking out IFG. Interesting stuff. Indians seem to be very passionate about their guns. Especially considering the state they're in as far as being able to get guns and ammo.

I am very intrigued by the .315 rifle. I think it's cool that brand spanking new SMLEs are still being made. I'd love to have one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic