Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why .303's should be carried in the bush (link)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why .303's should be carried in the bush (link)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why .303's should be carried in the bush (link)
    Posted: October 01 2006 at 11:48am
http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/australian-mystery-cat

The DNA report came back and it was a match with that of a house cat

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200511/s1518331.htm

The Victorian government, and the CSIRO is doing a study on these monster feral cats or "penrith panthers" as they are sometimes called.

I would love to shoot one of those bloody things.

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 6:41am
Nice, but how big was it actualy? with the hunter standing in the back ground its hard to say how big it really is. this is just like the ferral hogxwild hog killed in georgia on Ken Hollyoaks property, and if you went by the measurments on the picture the guy that shot it should of stood at least 9 feet tall.  but then they did a piece on the hog and nick named it Hogzilla. Both Ken and the Guy that shot the hog contridicted each other on film when the remains were measured.
I would like to see a meter stick/Yard stick put up against the animal in such a way that the photo could not be alterd.
                                                                The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 8:20am
Geez..always the skeptic! You SURE you aint from Missouri?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 9:29am
Allegidly, and i say Allegidly this thing was 1.5 meters from head to the base of its tail, and weighed 35 kiligrams.

There are feral cats commonly shot in the bust that are about a meter from the end of the rear legs to the head when hung out, and easily weigh 6 kilo's.

Im sure dave can back me up on that one.

The things have been running round in the bush for 200 years evolving all the time, and they are top of the food chain because there is nothing else to oppose them killing everything in sight.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 6:27am
Hold on im going to do some measuring,
Things needed: One of the wifes cats.
                       : my tape measure.
                       : some one to hold the cat  in a hung out position.
but first im calling my buddy, he is a veterinarian and pass this question of a feral cat getting to this size. now i used to have an old tom a few years ago that weighed in at 16 lbs and his head was the size of a bob cats skull, Doc. compared them. he has a bob cat skull. but 1.5 meters long???
only if you mean fully stretched maybe,
     this is measurments from my Wifes favorite tom cat.
Ok 16inches from back of the tom cats head to the base of his tail, 36inches from paw to paw while hung from back feet, and 32 inches from hind feet to tip of nose.
And he is not an extremly larg house cat. so ya gotta know where the measurements are taken and how.
and by the way i have seen big foot... Oh Yea! she works out at exxon refinery pretty close to my office! she even growld at me for cutting through there area one morning.
                                                 The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 6:36am
Ok Doc is in surgery at the moment and so is my Wife so i will have my wife bring in this giant feral cat therory and see what doc has to say about it.
I will post the results Wed. evening OK.
                                                           The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 9:40am
Well guys, my Wife said as for the length, it is more believable depending on how you are measuring. BUT the weight is highly questionable because a feral animal is not likely to be obese and for the length it had to be obese.  but i will let you know what Doc says tomorrow.
                              The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 10:45am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Geez..always the skeptic! You SURE you aint from Missouri?
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 6:17am
skeptic?

Nope, sure aint!   just cant believe in something i cant prove or is too good to be true.

"White Rhino"

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 8:23am
Skeptic!(a Missouri skeptic!)
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 8:31am
What you trying to say Hoadie!
"White Rhino"

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 8:37am
You GOTTA be from the "Show Me" state!
Look K...if theres Sasquatch, why cant there be "Catzilla"?
I mean -after all-down under has different EVERYTHING! Even they're dinosaurs were different!(Just look @ Dave's picture,for confirmation.)
I bin hearing -off & on - bout reports coming outta there bout this same thing.Now someone has bagged one.Lets get it measured & have a celebration!!
Here in Niagara, we've had reports of the same thing for a few years now.The tracks & sightings suggest Felis Concolor(Cougar, Puma, Mountain Lion,Panther) No one has caught one yet...But last year the SPCA & Police observed one RIGHT BEHIND RIDLEY COLLEGE in town, here!! But no further sightings this year, so far.
Hoadie
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 9:38am

Naw not from there but my Dad was born in Joplin then they moved to Wichita,KS  And i seen my big foot and man was she big, We have to go through her to throw our oil contaminated garbage away. man am i glad i can send my Men over there and I dont have to go to her office no more.

Well Hoadie, its not that i dont believe that there are feral cats but the size is what stumps me. Having a Wife that is a Vet. Tech. and her boss is a good friend of mine and also knowing a bit about animals, I just cant believe a feral cat that size from what i seen of the picture. it just doesnt look in proportion to the other things in the picture.
"White Rhino"

Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 1:55pm
Yeah i agree that is a dodgy pic, but the government is taking it seruously.

But here is some food for thought, also about 200 years ago pigs were also bought to Australia and some were released or escaped between now and then.

Any way there are  heap of pig muscly angry feral pigs with tusks and a ridge of hair that pretty much stand on end (hence the name Razorback) that have evolved from your regular farm pigs like the tamworth and berkshire pigs that were sometimes interbred with asian pig species.

If a farm pig can turn into that I think that is is plausable that you can get big feral cats.

And dont get me started on dropbares....
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 5:49pm
Attack of the 60 ft bandicoot!! Hey - that'd be a good movie!
Hoadie
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 7:43pm
well in the "goodies" they were gettin chased by a 60 ft cat!!!  LOL
(goodies being a "pommy" comedy show)
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic