Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

action strength of lee enfield rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LJM61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJM61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: action strength of lee enfield rifles
    Posted: October 24 2006 at 6:17am
I'm a late arrival to this topic, but would like to mention....
from what I'm gathering from the folks up at Epps Sport's own gunsmith, not all No.4's were made equal either...

When I mentioned to him my plans for modifying a No.4 to their own specs, he stated that I better be sure that I use Longbranch action bodies and nothing else. They originally based their specs on the P17 and have modified many versions of the Enfield to their spec with varied degrees of success and failure.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Yateley Yateley wrote:

Hi all, Hoadie, I know where you are comming from.

Dave H, you're a true gentleman, taking my comment with good grace. wish there was more like you out there.

Jeez I'm going to send a copy of that off to the Wild life dept ! I got a nasty letter from them today about somebody doing their gutting on the side of the road round here ! Problem is when this occured I happened to be contracted out to them  on the "fence "! Angry Somebody will have some explaining to do & it won't be me ! (as long a they don't delay with that lovely big cheque they owe me )

Dave
Yateley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yateley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 4:04pm

Hi all, Hoadie, I know where you are comming from.

Dave H, you're a true gentleman, taking my comment with good grace. wish there was more like you out there.
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 3:17pm
this is my rifle ..this is my gun..this ones for fightin..and this ones for fun. hoadie bein picked on????? WELL I NEVER!!!!! hmmmfff..its DAVE thats the culpret! Tongue
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 1:29pm
Well Yateley, seems like U & I have pet peaves.I can't get over folks calling rifles "guns" & calling chargers "clips".
But-if ya spend too much time & effort trying to correct it, you'll end up like me...PICKED ON!
I admire ur knowledge.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 7:20am
Welcome to the site . No Harm done . I work on the fact that life is a learning Curve & if some one can correct a miss conception ,all is good Smile

Just recently I was able to point out that the 303 -35 Status was actualy  developed 40 yrs ago under the name of the 35 Clark & was not a new idea by any means & It turned out to be one of those Misconceptions in life that happen all to often Smile

Dave
Yateley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yateley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 6:26am
Originally posted by dave h dave h wrote:

Whilst the MK1V is a stronger action than the MkIII it is the wise shooter /reloader  who keeps his pressures below 45,000 psi ! Factory ammo is loaded to safe levels & where there is no warning about the loads being for Mk1V drop you loads by at least 2gns & do not exceed the starting loads listed

Dave
Why do you insisted in calling the No4 a Mk1V, this is incorrect, a Mk1V SMLE(a NO4 is not a SMLE) is a conversion of a long lee to MkIII configuration(Cond MkIV) or a .22 trainer based on the MkIII/III* SMLE(No2 MkIV*) .
Sorry about the tone of my first post, but calling a No4 a MkIV is one of my pet hates and a BASIC mistake made far to often.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 8:36pm
Whilst the MK1V is a stronger action than the MkIII it is the wise shooter /reloader  who keeps his pressures below 45,000 psi ! Factory ammo is loaded to safe levels & where there is no warning about the loads being for Mk1V drop you loads by at least 2gns & do not exceed the starting loads listed

Dave
shotgunminister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 9:41pm
If you have axcess to the two. Put them side by side.  You'll see how much heavier the No.4 is.  Had it not been for the screwed up sights on the No.4. It would be my favorite rifle.
I've seen the future and I don't like it.
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 5:46pm

The No4 actions are considerably stronger than the No1, Hence the conversion of th No4 to 7.62 nato.

The lee enfields have been converted to a host of different calibers but they are not as strong as the mauser action by any means so conversions are limited to cartridges at the lower end of the pressure scale.
Lithgow did a trial conversion on a batch of No1's to 7.62 Nato but they found that while they did not actually blow up they did set the locking lugs back and it would only have been a matter of time before they did fail drastically. I think they only got something like 150 rounds before this happened.
Jonsered View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonsered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 12:43pm
how strong are the actions on lee enfields? are the no.4 mk1's actions stronger than the no.1 mk3's? just a question i have been wondering about
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic