Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 on more Buffalo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2011 at 10:18pm
Parts of the trail are only 5 minutes from here. We have several kinds of tick, but there are warnings every summer about light-colored long sleeves & pants to keep the little buggers visible. We even have to use tick repellant on pets that go outside in the winter here as it never gets really cold.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
.303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 5:56pm
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've had some issues logging in and been in the process of moving. The story behind the foal is that we chanced across him and his parents while hunting and the local boys decided that they wanted a horse. So the sprinted it down and put it in the back of their 4x4.
Amor patriae
Dux-R-Us View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux-R-Us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 5:57am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i noted the shorts as well - here they would be bled out by the skeeters and tics before they found their prey ,

nice shooting , hope all that meat went to the hungry
What a  great day afield to take 6 animals!! I am so envious.

After my wife, Andrine, and I hunted in TCFNAR (The country formerly known as Rhodesia) I have taken to wearing shorts afield in Oklahoma, weather permitting.  We have far fewer thorny plants.  Wearing the shorts also has made me go really slow while still hunting.  I use about a gallon of DEET, plus I am lucky in that I am not allergic to poison ivy.  My friends think I am nuts (I am).

We have found a place to hunt feral hogs for free (ranches now charging $300/day!!!) and I will be toting the .303 when we do that hunt.  Do you think it necessary to have the pig sticker on the No4?????

Kevin

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Moondog55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moondog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 10:15am
Yes we have Lyme disease here in OZ, just not yet widespread and common.
I wore shorts all the time when living in The Alice but further North I swapped to long pants despite the heat; I really hate ticks; I still have one embedded in my leg 30 years on
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 12:54pm
Pepper ticks are black in your parts?  We had red ones.  They're actually the first stage in the ticks life cycle.  They have several and takes about two years each if not more.  Hardy little boogers!  They don't like insect spray much and kerosene kills then once they've latched on.  A bit difficult to get them off the nutz!  I had tick bit fever once when I was a preschooler. I don't remember much about the headache but I was told about it.
303Guy
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 12:58pm
West Nile is going around in some parts of the country here, Dallas as been hit bad !
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 5:43am
"Pepper ticks are black in your parts? We had red ones."
Here we call them "chiggers" or "redbugs".
Oh wait, I'm being "Phylumaceously insensitive", I'm sorry, I meant to say "Trombiculidae-Americans"
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 12:52am
wow - now we have to be PC to the bugs ??????

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 1:18am
Nutz isn't it?
I posted about "chiggers" on another forum & got a "written infraction advisory" because I was being "insensitive to others with regard to their ethnicity".

I doubt if the Mod writing the infraction bothered to read the post because some id10t complaiined so they pulled the post & wrote me up.
sayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 5:08am
I am prejudiced against chiggers.... 

..... and ticks and mosquitoes and other blood suckers.
I support hard work, creativity, freedom, responsibility and truth
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 6:20am
I've been called all kinds of things - I'm still waiting to get offended. LOL

But just out of interest, how does  'chigger' offend anyone?  Unless they are a blood sucker or wait ... a parasite!  That's it.  You offended a parasite!

But, "Phylumaceously insensitive"!  It took me three days just to read the word.  Ticks fall into a phylum of there own don't they?  (I'm too lazy to look it up).
303Guy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 12:03am
They are arthropods, relatives of insects, spiders & so on, a distant decendant of the old trilobites.

The camping, trekking & outdoors forum this happened on is very "psuedo-conservative" but run by bleeding heart liberals pretending to be conservatives so they get the hunters & gun owners participation & more importantly donations!

The conversation was about an unknown itching rash after a camping trip in the wilderrness & I was suggesting that based on the symptoms it might be caused by "chiggers". The discussion went on to try to id a chigger as the OP had no idea what a "chigger" was. At one point the question of color came up I said if it was black it wasn't a chigger as they are red. I guess the mod (who is desperately in need of more fiber in his diet) misread the term, thought it was a racial epithet & whipped off a long condemnation suggesting that I should "quit giving the impression that all gun owners are racially insensitive knuckle dragging drunken wife beaters!"

I assured him that I had never beaten my wife, whilst raving blind drunk, which probably didn't help my cause.Censored
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

"quit giving the impression that all gun owners are racially insensitive knuckle dragging drunken wife beaters!"

I assured him that I had never beaten my wife, whilst raving blind drunk, which probably didn't help my cause.Censored

You wouldn't dare! She'd kill you!!LOLLOL
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 3:33am
Yeah, probably! (That's why I drink in the first place)Beer
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 4:57am
".....They are arthropods, relatives of insects, spiders & so on, a distant decendant of the old trilobites.........."

there ya go again with the dispariging remarks , i agree with ya , but , geez , think of the the poor caveman adds - someones bound to get offended
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 6:22am
Oohh! You went & dun it now!AngryAngryAngry

There was actually a series of History Channel "documentaries" on pre-historic man where they were referring to "cavemen" (& presumably cave women as well, so I don't get called a sexistEvil Smile) where they were pronouncing the term as "Cromannyon", not "Cro-Magnon".

It just gets beyond silly, remember when the pronounciation of Uranus was changed from ur-anus to urine us? bloody daft!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic