Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bandoliers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bandoliers
    Posted: December 06 2011 at 9:16am

My “Ugly Lumber” Lee Enfield reads 1909 SHTLE III Dose anyone have information in regard to the number of the 5 pocket bandoliers issued to an infantrymen with this rifle during war time? Also, I know two chargers, dwn,up,dwn,up,dwn in each pocket but were the rounds in cardboard silencers like today’s ammo bandoliers?

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis~ I go armed at all times and shoot where I find it necessary as I am an American. ~Bloodwyn~

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 9:38am
The five pocket bandoliers were mostly for resupply or to supplement the normal load carried in the belt pouches.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Bloodwyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloodwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 10:08am

Thank you, I had wandered about the belt pouches as well. That makes sense the pictures I have seen with a soldier and two bandoliers over his chest would have been just extra ammo he received to compliment his regular issue, maybe heading into a skirmish. Was it two chargers in each pouch? I have read they were issued an extra magazine at one point. Did that reside in a special pouch? Do you know if the chargers were just bare or did they have a little sleeve of some sort?

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis~ I go armed at all times and shoot where I find it necessary as I am an American. ~Bloodwyn~

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 11:35am
they were only given the magazine box that came with their rifle , these were not considered a loose bit , they were married to the rifle , these were to be charged from the top only with 5 round chargers , i may have a spare pouch or two - i do have a belt with pouches and holster and suspeneders etc , e-mail me if you are looking ,
John Sukey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Sukey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 3:05am
Probably too late for anyone to read, but an extra mag was issued for the early Long Lee's (before charger loading.)  The magazine already in the rifle was attached  to the trigger guard by a short link of chain  so it wouldn't be lost when the spare was inserted. That only lasted a very SHORT time before the extra mags were turned back in.
Now there was a 20 round "trench magazine" which was gotten rid of after the war.  I doubt it got much use.  Have only seen the leather pouch for that.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 6:16am
ahh - i forgot that john , but then he was referancing 1909 mkIII so it didnt trigger the earl MLM MLE rifles in my brain , for that matter i didnt even think about the CLLE CLLM either , thanks for adding that
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 6:20am
I remember this issue being discussed before. For at the soldier with the #4Mk1 and the two standard pouches I was left with the following concept:
The two pouches had two Bren magazines each.
The remaining space held grenades and bandoliers.

The rifle was reloaded in action from a bandolier hanging over one shoulder, not from the pouches.

Please correct me as appropriate.
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 1:31am
Man... that guy's pants are hiked up awfully high Geek

Ive got a couple of the cloth type bandoliers but they are marked 1947 last I checked. They are cool but I just bought em to have em along with the rifles not as a serious thing to actually use.

I assume they would just toss these once they were empty? Or would they turn them back in?
John Sukey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Sukey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 4:00am
Now given the date of the rifle, there were leather bandoliers issued to cavalry.
Going back before charger loading there were leather bandoliers with individual cartridge pockets. for both the Enfield, Martini , and Snider.  Have some of those.

Interesting note about cloth bandoliers during the Boer War.  They were intended for one time use, but with the shortage of equipment they were re-used.  Boers would follow British colums and pick up the loose rounds that fell out  for their captured enfields.
  because of this, the war office resisted the introduction of the leather equipnment for a while.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 6:59am
Great pictures very imformative post !
Longshaor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshaor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:30pm
To answer a couple of questions raised here:

The 20-round trench magazine was a bit of a failure in WWI as it jammed easily when fouled with the ever-present mud of the front and quickly withdrawn.  These were placed in store after the war.  I seem to remember that they were used in the inter-war period - or possibly in the immediate post-Dunkirk panic, but I don't recal the details.

Basic Pouches are capable of holding 2 Bren Mags OR bandoliers/grenades OR 2" mortar rounds, however the average squaddie would have a pair of Bren mags in each and carry his .303 ammo in bandoliers across his chest.  Once you cram the Bren mags in there's no room for anything else.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 8:07am
Longshaor, thanks for the info. It was never really answered before on where/how the WWII British rifleman carried the ammo for his rifle.
Moondog55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moondog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 9:42am
Here's one link for you all to bookmark.
http://www.remlr.com/roseworthy/issued_kit/index.html

And another
http://www.scribd.com/doc/40098141/The-Pattern-1908-Web-Infantry-Equipment-Australia-1911

Another
http://www.karkeeweb.com/1915main.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic