Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My reloads make my #4 bolt stick...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ja303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My reloads make my #4 bolt stick...
    Posted: January 07 2012 at 12:51am
Hey guys . I just started reloading for the #4. I check all my casings and they are the right megurments but most of them make my bolt hard to close and opend after fired a round. Now with factory ammo i have never had this problem before. Can any body help. ?!!   Thanks J.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 7:30am
Could be a sign of over  pressure, did you start low and build up your loads? Did you carefully measure cartridge length after sizing them? A long neck will cause high pressure. Bullet seating depth? Is the chamber cleaned and are you removing all lubes and polish from the cartridge
Ed
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 7:52am
so many variables
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 10:17am
that cannot be good - i would stop doing it , but then i respect what little time i have left and the sight i still have
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 11:47am
On second read, you said it was hard to close the bolt. That's a good time to stop right there. If it's hard to close, your case measurement is not right and may cause over pressure. Size a case, measure the length and try it in the chamber without the bullet.If factory ammo goes in easily and your reload doesn't, something is off. Please do some research before shooting any more of these.

Ed
ja303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ja303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 12:26pm
Thank you guys. Im out of town now but when i get back home im doble checking the casings and make more comparations with the factory ones is got to be the neck lenght or something like that.   Ill let you guys know. Thanks. J
sells101 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sells101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 10:10pm
  Having same problem, after comparing factoring and reloads i am not getting the shoulder bevel the factory loads have, more rounded. Using the Lee handloader (plastic hammer), all specs are good as far as neck size and overall length. Any suggestions ?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 12:07am
How did you set up the Lee Loader for neck sizing depth?
Take a close look at the junction of the case neck & shoulder, there should not be any kind of "step" in the neck portion it should just smoothly transition from 100% parallell to the slope for the case shoulder. This can be caused by an out of spec die, or by not bashing the case in fully when resizing. The Lee is not a delicate mechanism so a fair bit of walloping is normal. Personally I prefer a big rubber mallet to give enough oomph to squeeze the case neck fully. You can test by putting a little candle soot on the neck & sholulder of an empty case to give a visual clue if the whole length of the neck has been resized fully.

Hard to close could also be the bullet not being seated deep enough & getting stuffed into the lands. Can you post a close up picture of one of your reloaded rounds next to a factory one?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sells101 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sells101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 3:47am
I will try to get some pictures on here this evening, I lube every every third case ( as advised at gun shop) , good even wollops and double check to make sure they are flush. All have turned out exactly the same. Shoots ok, and shot brass doesnt show any signs of stress but i dont want to go any futher till i get some pictures on here for you to look at. thanks for your time
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 5:44am

You shouldn't need any case lube for the lee classic loader, which is what I think you have. It should only neck size so it isn't designed to reshape the shoulder. A little lube wont do any harm, but its not actually needed.

Quick thought. Was this brass fired in the exact same rifle? Neck sized brass sometimes sticks if its been fired in a different chamber.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sells101 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sells101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 6:08am
    The one on left is factory privy 150gr ,one on right is resized once fired privy, done with Lee Classic Loader                                                           
sells101 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sells101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 6:20am
Hope this is better
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 9:27am
Shamu, +1 on fired in same rifle, makes a huge difference in Enfields.

Ed
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 9:44pm
It looks like you need to full length resize for that particular chamber.
sells101 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sells101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 11:05pm
Just ordered lee single stage press and set of collet dies, hope that is right, thanks for everyones help
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 1:35am
That should work just fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic