Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How far do I go ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgnordby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How far do I go ?
    Posted: February 25 2012 at 2:55am
I have an Australian Enfield (Mark III). This rifle is in fair but usable condition. My research indicates it was used in WWII by a man name Rudd (engraved in stock). I have been working on getting the remaining parts to make it a complete and period correct gun. I was missing only the sling and butt plate. Someone had put on a rubber shoulder pad.  Everything else was there when I bought the gun at an estate sale.  All I have left to find is the butt plate.

This rifle was obviously used and it shows. I have taken it to a gunsmith and he says that it is still in usable condition. He felt the internals were nothing to write home about but they were not worn out either.  The stock has a LOT of dings, dents, stains etc.

I would like some opinions of just how far I should go in finishing the rebuild. As I see it the stock is the primary concern. 
1. Should it be left alone leaving the Australia stamp on the bottom, the name Rudd on the stock and all the dings dents etc as it is. 
2. Maybe a light sanding and a good sealer
3. Should I refinish it just to the point of cleaning up the stains, dings and dents but  leaving the stamp and name.
4. Should I just say this is not all that valuable in its present condition and go have some fun with it.

I am not a hunter. I am primarily a competition shooter in SASS, IPSC and IDPA. In the end this rifle would either be sold if there is real value there or played with just to shoot on the range and friendly competitions.

Also is there anything else that went with the gun that I should look to make sure is there and period correct. It appears to have the correct sights on it (but I am not 100% sure)

Thanks

Jerry
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 6:39am
Good pics of it will help us for our opinions. And they will be just that, opinions. It's your rifle now, do with it what you will. For what it's worth, I doubt the Australian military would be happy with a soldier scratching his name in the butt. Probably done by an owner after the war?
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 11:13am
Most folks just clean the stock and maybe steam the dents. Sanding removes the history and the character. That said, It's your rifle.

Ed
jgnordby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgnordby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 5:02am

This is a full length picture of the gun (left side)

The Bolt of the gun

I can get more pictures if it will help

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 10:18am
it may need a new buttstock to fit the correct military plate to - looks to have been cut for the pad , no big deal these are available and you can make it match if you take the time ,

"...He felt the internals were nothing to write home about but they were not worn out either. ..."

these were war rifles - not sporting arms and intended to function , not look pretty , that said his oppinion is what i would have recomended before shooting it , if on the other hand he considered the wear to be acceptible - i repeat , what i would have recomended before shooting ,
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 12:39pm
What happened to the Charger guide?
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
jgnordby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgnordby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 8:26pm
What is a  "Charger guide"? 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 12:15am
i just noticed that as well - the knotch out of the stock toward rear of reciever / right side - hadnt noticed it at first glance , musta been getting tierd , that is an issue
jgnordby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgnordby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 1:52am

O.K. I did some research and I now understand what a charger guide is. Now the question is Where can I find one?  

Thanks for all you help

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 7:57am
Give these folks a call:
Have a Nice Day
jgnordby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgnordby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 8:09am
Just figured out I have incorrectly identified this rifle. it is a No 4. Mark II  NOT III.  Sorry if that caused a problem.
mauser98nut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser98nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 10:22am
Not what I'm seeing, looks like No1 mk111 to me and if I can get over CRS I'll look around and see if I have anything you could use.Think I have some butt stocks and maybe the plate.
jgnordby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgnordby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 10:37am
o.k. I have some local "experts" looking at the gun and telling me one thing and others saying something else.  I am going to set up my macro lens on my camera and get a shot of the two sets on markings and let you guys tell me what I have. I am an expert in a lot of things by this is NOT one of them.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 12:36pm
The rifle in the picture is some flavor of No1  a No4 would have a receiver peep sight and the last 2" of the barrel exposed.  Here is a link to Enfield I.D. basics

Have a Nice Day
mauser98nut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser98nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 3:33pm
Have a butt stock off a No4 that could be fitted.Pm me if you want it.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 11:45pm
That rifle is a No 1 Mk III, not a No 4. That said, that missing charger bridge is a big issue as far as value is concerned. Those were not a "replaceable" part exactly. A different charger bridge will take some serious effort to replace. Post up some pictures of the markings on the wrist right underneath the bolt handle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic