Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help Identifying 2 Enfields

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuThePenguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help Identifying 2 Enfields
    Posted: June 17 2012 at 1:56am
I just got a hold of a pair of Enfield rifles and need help identifying them. I did a little research, but I'm still left confused.I just got a hold of a pair of Enfield rifles and need help identifying them. I did a little research, but I'm still left confused.I just got a hold of a pair of Enfield rifles and need help identifying them. I did a little research, but I'm still left confused.

This is the first rifle. I think the markings are for a No. 1 Mk. 3, but the flash hider and butt seem to be from a No. 5 jungle carbine. 

This is the second rifle. I haven't tried doing much research on it, but it didn't come with a magazine so I should probably identify it in order to figure out which one to buy. It also seems to be missing the safety lever as well. Is the safety easy to come by or am I looking at either spending a fortune or using this as a parts rifle?

Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 6:32am
They are both No1 MkIII*.
Someone has made the first into some sort of Jungle Carbine copy.
The second looks to be quite restorable.
The butt is heavily sanded so new wood all round would be in order but the barrel doesnt look to have been cut.
Wood, safety, mag and front metalwork are probably all thats needed. Not sure what that would cost in your neck of the woods.
GuThePenguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuThePenguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 6:35am
With that being the case, I'm thinking sporterize the first one and restore the second one. I wouldn't mind getting rid of that flash hider - I feel like I'm carrying a musket.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 7:01am

Ditto to what Lithgow said.

Numrich Arms or Springfield Sporters should have what you need for a rebuild

Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 12:24pm
That Jungle Carbine  looks like it may have been done by Golden State Arms? Is Santa fe or Golden State stamped on her anywhere?
GuThePenguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuThePenguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 1:04pm
I thought I had looked everywhere, but there it is stamped right on the barrel: Santa Fe Jungle Carbine. Golden State Arms.

So what does this mean for the rifle? I assume I'm looking at a Jungle Carbine hack job built from a No. 1 Mk III* and should treat it as a No. 1 Mk III* when looking for magazines, parts, etc. and not as a No. 5 Mk I, right? Goodness...that sounds confusing just typing that. I guess I can feel a little less guilty about sporterizing a hack job.
Dave_n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave_n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 10:11am
Actually Golden STate did quite a reasonable "rework" on their imitation Mk V's compared to some. Usually shootable. Dave_n
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 1:05pm
Very True Dave_n those are one of the better facsimiles, I traded mine to White Rhino he is very pleased with it. Also there is a small group of collectors that seek these rifles.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 1:44pm
i will agree they did a good job on their immitation NO5s ----not .."reasonable "rework" on their imitation Mk V's compared to "

lets keep our nomenclature correct with regard to the real ones at least ....PLEASE ?????
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 2:02pm
There are original (if you can call aftermarket parts original)Golden State rear sights and other parts for their carbine conversions available on occasion. I saw some on the Springfield Sporters site years ago.
I'd leave the carbine as is.
If you do remove the flash hider save it intact , someone may want to buy it.
IIRC the flash hiders come in two or more styles, one with a much smaller inside diameter, and one cast of aluminum alloy. 

Some Goldenstate rear sights were small folding sights mounted on the charger guide bridge.
Rumpelhardt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumpelhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 10:19pm
A no1 mkIII  magazine is what you want. No5 magazines are the same as a no4.
Didn't they build a Jungle Carbine version of the No1 in Australia? A no6 maybe? Could this be what Golden State was trying to copy?
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 11:07pm
A Factory No1 MkIII receiver Lithgow Jungle Carbine sweet !
Lost Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 12:18am
If you don't need the Williams sight on the Golden State...I could find a place to put it.....

Get some
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Lost Kangaroo Lost Kangaroo wrote:

If you don't need the Williams sight on the Golden State...I could find a place to put it.....

Roo how are ya man? yep Williams sight could always find a good home
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 11:00pm
a factory lithgow 'jungle carbine would be a no6 rifle and would look sognificantly different than that
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 6:55am
And be worth significantly more than that also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic