Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first Enfield rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esoxhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first Enfield rifle
    Posted: November 15 2006 at 1:31pm
New to the group. Glad I found this place!
Last week I purchased my first Enfield (Savage mfg) rifle, No 4 MK1.
It does not have the complete wooden shroud like most Enfields I see on the net, but I'm guessing it has something to do with this one being produced by Savage. I guess you could call it a sporter model. It is marked US Property.
Wondering if anyone can give me a history lesson on my particular rifle.
thanks, Doug
esoxhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esoxhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 1:54pm
another pic
also forgot to mention it was manufactured in 1943
Jonsered View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonsered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 2:36pm

i have a 1943 savage no.4 mk1, well actually it is may dads, i aint old enough yet to own it but he considers it mine

shotgunminister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 2:51pm
It's been sporterized.  Looks like a professional job.    That said the No.4 is a good sturdy action that will serve you well.  Savage Arms built a number of rifles during WWII for Great Britian.  I see it has the "L" type sights in the reare.  These are sighted in for 300 and 600 yards.  Though with it being sporterized I can't say for sure. 
I've seen the future and I don't like it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 5:03pm
Definatly a Sporter ! I might add a very good job ! It has a high Comb on the stock which makes it really scope friendly ! Be a great Hunting rifle

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:49am

esoxhunter The were several comapnies back when the took Enfields and sporterized them.  Iwas told told shortly after WWII they could be had on the surplus market for $3 each.  Damn I wish I would have been alive then.

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 10:33am
The Savage rifles looked just like all the others, this one was modified later. Are there any other stampings on the barrel or action? It looks like it might be by a company called golden state rifle that did a lot of conversions.
Ed
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by shotgunminister shotgunminister wrote:

esoxhunter The were several comapnies back when the took Enfields and sporterized them.  Iwas told told shortly after WWII they could be had on the surplus market for $3 each.  Damn I wish I would have been alive then.

I remember when I was a tad younger...Barrels of Enfields out on Young St in Toronto & St.Paul St. in St.Catharines(in front of Mosher's store)with a sign saying "YOUR CHOICE-$20.00
Ahh - for the good old days!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 4:50pm

3 Bucks each! You were had. My dad used to buy them a crate at a time for 8 pounds a crate.

Dukeoflawnchair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukeoflawnchair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 4:40am
The "US PROPERTY" stampage was a makeshift appeasement to accomodate some shipping regulation. 
Defend your right to arm bears!

Do you know what the chain of command is? It's a chain that I beat you with if you don't do what I say...
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 6:37am
No, It was to satisfy the lend lease agreement between U.S and Britain.
When Britain was basically broke the U.S made equipment and gave it to Britain. The repayment was to come when she was back on her feet and was paid off over a very long time period. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the debt will be paid off in full by 31/12/2006.
By the way that is a nice looking rifle. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Lithgow Lithgow wrote:

3 Bucks each! You were had. My dad used to buy them a crate at a time for 8 pounds a crate.

8 pounds equals 128 ounces.  Big%20smile  Actualy $15.18 US Dollars
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 1:50pm
AHA!!! see? $20.00 CDN (in those days!)
Thanx SGM.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 2:05pm
That was for 8 rifles!
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 2:16pm
now now children!! play nice now      LOL
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by allan allan wrote:

now now children!! play nice now      LOL

Allan ! I'm shocked at you ! Did'nt Hoadie & I bring you up better than this!

The correct thing to say on the "Enfield Forum" is ..........Fight you Bastards Fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (throws his head back  & gives very Evil laugh)

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic