Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tight loads in No. 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tight loads in No. 4
    Posted: July 29 2012 at 9:11am
I just started reloading and made up a bunch of rounds using Federal brass and Sierra bullets. This brass has never been reloaded before. When chambering these rounds in my No. 4, they required a little effort to close the bolt, though they shot well. When I got home from the range, I decided to try chambering some rounds from the same box in my No. 1 Mk. 3. They chambered easily, without any additional effort to close the bolt.
I have always used Privy and Federal in both Enfields without much thought and they have chambered well, so I was surprised. The fired brass looks completely normal. 
I support hard work, creativity, freedom, responsibility and truth
archertiger3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archertiger3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 12:21pm
how would you say federal brass compares against prvi?
MAG=SKYRIM
sayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 2:44pm
I'm too naive and inexperienced to say! Looks like the PPU and Remmington brass  is more substancial, but couldn't say for sure.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 7:26am
I'd check the length of the cases, I have had to trim new brass before. Also, check the overall length and make sure you're not forcing the bullet into the grooves.

Ed
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 12:23pm
Nosler Bullets is the way to go
sayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 1:38am
Noslers... I'm reloading because I'm cheap! Bullets are expensive up here in Alaska!
I think I will have to load rounds with the bullets a little deeper for the No. 4 and just start keeping them separate from what I use in the No. 1.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 2:50am
Go easy on this because seating the bullet deeper will raise pressure. Try putting an empty case in the No 4 and see if the bolt closes easily. You could have insufficient headspace ( not likely). If that is OK, put a bullet in the case a little longer than called for with no powder ,primer or crimp and chamber it and close the bolt. Pull it and measure the over all length. This length is where the bullet is touching the lands and you should compare this to what you have been using for the over all dimension.

Ed 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 6:16am
If you "paint" one of the bullets with a magic marker you'll see if the bullet is contacting the throat as it'll scrape the color off if it is. Much easier than guessing!Wink
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Lost Kangaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Kangaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 8:30am
Sounds like an OAL issue....how did it group?

Get some
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 4:07pm
Lee Enfields shoot best with as long an OAL as possible, limited only by the magazine.  Fire-formed cases also shoot better.  Something I have never tried but it is said that if one marks the case so that it can be chambered with the same orientation each time improves accuracy.  It is also said that the O-ring trick with full length sized cases has the same effect.  Again, I have never put this to the test.
303Guy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 9:59pm
Notching the rims helps with neck-sized cases fired in off center chambers. Other than that I've never foiund it to make a big difference.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 12:31am
Originally posted by sayak sayak wrote:

Noslers... I'm reloading because I'm cheap! Bullets are expensive up here in Alaska!
I think I will have to load rounds with the bullets a little deeper for the No. 4 and just start keeping them separate from what I use in the No. 1.

Oh I know what you mean, for general purpose loads what ever I can find....... For hunting, target, shooting, etc I prefer Nosler's when I can ! for my 30-06 I reload 150 gr Balistic tips with IMR 3031 for Hunting
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 3:21pm
I've never checked any of my rifle chambers for off centre chambers.  Is that a common occurrence with Lee Enfield chambers?  I do know sometimes the extractor can push the case to one side (it shouldn't if the extractor is correct for the cut-out but several of my rifles have mismatching cut-out and extractors.  One is so bad it only grips the edge of the rim.
303Guy
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 11:09pm
Fairly common, I had a #4 Mk1 (T) with an off center chamber. It shot fine though but the brass was funky-looking with the off center expansion!
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 12:30am
I don't know if they are off center or just large. I recently picked up some 45 colt brass from the range brass can. When I got home, 3 of the 45's were in fact 44mags and it was obvious they had been fired in the 45. One side of the case belled out to meet the chamber and was obviously ballooned, the other side remained flat against the chamber. I'm sure the 45 chamber wasn't off center, but the brass looks that way as it didn't expand evenly to fill the space.

Ed
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 4:23pm
That usually happens with large chambers in the Brit.  The case will almost always sit to one side in the chamber, in one case at least, due to the extractor.  The extractor should be pressed away from the case by the extractor cut-out but sometimes doesn't.
303Guy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic