Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No.1 Mk 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No.1 Mk 1
    Posted: August 12 2012 at 10:05am
I am in the process of winding up the estate of my late father-in-law and have recently unwrapped what I believe is an Enfield No.1 Mk.1. I am a bit of a ludite and cannot provide pictures at his time. (I am wating for one of the grand kids to visit and help me out with that.) In the meantime, I am looking for any information which can help me better authenticate the rifle.

The receiver is stamped with a crown over the initials VR. Under the VR is stamped BSA Co. and below that is the date 1901. Below that is stamped LE over a numeral 1 beside a 6 (maybe 7) pointed star. The serial number on the bolt and the receiver is A69422. The butt plate is stamped with the British broad arrow and a crest to worn to be readable. Below that is stamped 2 CMR and below that is stamped the number 735.

For what it's worth, I do know that 2 CMR refers to the 2nd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles and that the regiment was formed in 1901 as part of the Canadian Expedtionary Forces deployed to South Africa in the 2nd Boer War.  

One of my concerns about authenticity is that Good Queen Vicki (VR) snuffed it in January of 1901. I would have thought that a rifle manufactured in 1901 would be stamped ER for Edward VII.

If I have dropped this posting into the wrong Forum, my apologies, and please tell me where it should go. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 1:37pm
Welcome to the forum, your discription is very good however pictures will be nice when you can.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2012 at 11:04am
Your description is of a 1901 Magazine Lee Enfield Mk.I* (not a No.1 Mk.1)

The butt plate certainly is marked to the Second Canadian Mounted Rifles, however, Canada purchased Mk.I rifles in 1896/97. The Mk.I* was never actually used in Canadian service.

But I should never say never with Lee Enfields 

Likely that this is a surplus rifle that has found its way over to Canada and sold on the civilian market. It probably picked up the butt sometime after it got here.

To be sold out of England by the gun trade, it would have to be proofed and stamped. What markings are there on the left hand side of the barrel right up by the breach?

An actual Canadian service rifle would not have civvy proofs.

1901 with Queen Victoria cypher is correct. The change over to king Edward was not immediate, new dies had to be made.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 1:04am
dittos what he said [but i might not have put it so well] , the rifle is a long Lee Enfeild , not the Short Magazine Lee Enfeild - as it predates those

sounds an interesting rifle even with the parts changes , does it have the small flip up arm with peep on the left reciever aft ? and the dial and pointer on the left forearm midship ?
how long is the barrel and overall rifle ?
is the cutoff still in place just below mid bolt starboard side ?

seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 2:17am
Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. I have finally managed to generate some images which, I hope, will help clear up some of my and your questions.

1. A couple of long shots

2. Manufacturers markings

3. Top Of Butt Plate

4. Breech with Cut Out in open position

5. Left side showing the rear portion of the Volley Sight is missing and the slide part of the top sight is missing as well.
seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 2:39am
Thanks for your input englishman_ca.

I can find no marking on the left side of the barrel, breach or stock. What should i be looking for in relation to "civvy markings"

You mentioned that Canada purchased MK.1's in 1896/97. How does this tie in with a rifle stamped 1901? Should I be suspicious of the date stamp?

To A Square 10 think the pictures I just posted should answer your questions. The cutoff is in place but the rear half of the volley sight is missing.

Thanks again for your time and input.

John Sukey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Sukey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:57am
Vicky didn't kick off on Jnuary ist 1901, so it's logical the rifle was built before she did
CMP; Corps of Military Police
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 11:20am
That is a Long Magazine Lee Enfield MkI*.  Oh my goodness - you have one of those!  The dust cover is missing but if you can find a replacement that would be wonderful (so is the rear volley sight.  If I come across one I'll let you know but your chances are better than mine).  I have a 1902 model of one of those.  Mine wasn't as issued so it got a slight modification.  Here it is (don't choke! Shocked)

I have changed nothing on the action but I did fit a new No4 barrel to it.  It is a wonderfully accurate and balanced rifle.  I did fit a MkIII trigger to it and I lost the magazine cut-off (never figured out where it went) but kept the other bits.

Here's how I mounted the scope.

It's soft soldered on.
303Guy
seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 6:11am
Much Thanks for the info 303guy. Now it's time to show my ignorance. What is the dust cover to which you are referring?
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 11:18am
Under the scope mount bridge you can see it in the pic.  It covers the bolt when the action is closed.  On the bolt are two lug things - those are the cover mounts.  If only my camera were working I'g post some clear photo's.

You may be able to make it out in these pics.

That is such a neat little carbine to carry around and shoot with!  That last pic has the original bolt with the safety catch.  I don't use a safety - I carry a rifle with the bolt open.  I don't believe in 'safeties'.  (I did have a problem with bolt open carry in the deep dark woods.  The bolt got jambed up with debris!)Shocked
303Guy
sayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 2:51pm
Love the schnabel forearm .303 guy. In Fact I love the whole rifle!
I support hard work, creativity, freedom, responsibility and truth
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 3:14pm
I've never fired it with full power loads.  It has damaged lug recesses and has been down graded.  (Not sure what to do with it - the action should not fall into anyone else's hands.  It can't be repaired - I should chop it up.  I was using it with paper patched bullets to suite the well worn bore).
303Guy
5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by 303Guy 303Guy wrote:

I've never fired it with full power loads.  It has damaged lug recesses and has been down graded.  (Not sure what to do with it - the action should not fall into anyone else's hands.  It can't be repaired - I should chop it up.  I was using it with paper patched bullets to suite the well worn bore).
With the amount of 303s around NZ, i cannot understand why you would bother with it, cut it up & throw it away.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 6:58pm
They cost money.  But you're right.  It's not worth the risk.  I do have another one with a very poor barrel that I'll use instead.  But this one is an 1896 BSA & Co ..... 
303Guy
5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by 303Guy 303Guy wrote:

But this one is an 1896 BSA & Co ..... 
The receiver is the same , you would just as likely strike problems fitting your bits to another 1902 receiver.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 12:16am
the missing bits are attainable , it will take a little dilligent searching and some cash , but she is a fine looking rifle and well worth the efforts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic