Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

.303 for moose hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .303 for moose hunting
    Posted: December 27 2012 at 5:49am
Just wanting to know what you fellows have been using for ammunition in our .303's for moose hunting. I re-load but want to expand my ammunition options including factory loads. I am using a Parker Hale converted #4/Mk1 with a 22 1/2 barrel with a 5-groove bore and a 4x32 scope with a Monte Carlo stock. Thanks for all your opinions.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 9:06am
Any chance of a photo of your rifle?

I don't hunt moose so I can't contribute but I am interested in what others are using.  I have a number of 215gr soft nose (Remington, I think) that I've never found a use for.  Feral cattle maybe?  Big red deer?  I shot one using Speer's 180gr round nose with a reduced muzzle velocity and that had good penetration and presumably expansion.  It exited.  Striking velocity was around 1900fps.  It broke no bone but traversed a shoulder and the neck.

I will most likely use heavy paper patched bullets for any future hunts.

303Guy
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 11:52am
I have uploaded a recent picture of my rifle on this site earlier, but I have to find it again. I can re-take another few photos if I can't find it here.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 11:37pm
I use #1 MkIII* Parker Hale convert. Use factory loads(Privi Partizan of late). 150 on deer - 180 on moose.
Took 2 moose last year.
Didn't hunt moose this year
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 2:28am
Thanks Hoadie. I've been meaning to get a hold of some Privi Partisan but it is tough to find out here except at the gun shows.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 12:21pm
WANT ME TO GET YA SOME?
HOADIE
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 1:33pm
I most certainly would! That would be mucho appreciated! PM me if you like with your details and I'll give you mine.
longshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 9:06am
Im new here but i can weigh in on this one.  I have hunted moose with the No. 4 Mk1 that my dad gave me.  I use Winchester Super X  180grain power point.  lots of moose have fallen to this combo over the years by my dad and lots of people he loaned it to back in the 70's and 80's not to mention cariboo, black bear and white tail deer.

hope this helps
dean

ETA that's .303 British not Savage.
2 Dogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 2:01pm
     I've taken quite a few moose over the years with various 303 Brits. When I was a kid I used the old CIL 215 gr Kling Kores on moose ( because thats what my old man always had around ) and Winchester 180 gr PP on everything else. I've used the 180's, mostly handloaded Sierra's, on moose, elk and white-tails and they performed perfectly. I just got my hands on a couple of hundred of old Norma 215 gr round noses. I'm going to try some loads with Reloader 15 in my Parker-Hale No. 4 sporter, if they shoot well I'm taking her out for moose this October
      To be honest, try out as many factory loads as you can and stick with the one thats shoots the best in your rifle . Inside of 150 yrds any of the 180's will perform about the same on moose. Try to avoid raking shots or heavy bone if you can and you wont have any trouble. The Winchester 180's have for some reason always shot more accurately in most of my enfields and have killed a lot of moose in these parts over the years. Hope this helps.

2 Dogs
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 8:34pm
150 gr on deer..180 on moose. Always worked well for me
Hoadie
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 10:33pm
MMMM, moose, the other brown meat.

Moose burgers for all.

Throw another Bullwinkle on the barbie.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 2:07am
Rhino took a couple handfuls of "Bullwinkle droppings" back home with him. He works on the BULLWINKLE platform, so he thought they should see what it leaves "behind"
(You do think differently when you drink)
Hoadie
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 3:00am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

150 gr on deer..180 on moose. Always worked well for me
Hoadie

You graduated from the club and spear then Hoadie??
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 3:59am
..yep.I jump out of tees with a knife, & slit their throats! (But NOT till I've had a good "bronco" ride on 'em!
Heck..I may even start to use SLINGSHOT!
Hoadie
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 2:11am
I have used mostly 180 grain bullets for moose and deer, I have a collectible red and yellow box of factory Winchester 215 grain soft point, I just can't bring myself to shoot any of them.
I'm glad I reload....Big smile
Many moose have fallen to various 303's that I have owned over the past 40 years, the biggest ones  were taken with a 1916 BSA and a 1944 jungle carbine.
The carbine shot the old Dominion 215 Kling Kore soft point ammo and I believe the BSA shot Winchester Power Point ammo.
I tried an experiment with 200 grain Speer SP .308 diameter bullets, they shoot to the same point of impact as the .311 Speer 180 grain bullet.
3Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 3:18pm
Hi, I used 174g PMP on Kudu, I think the Moose should be the same size as the Kudu.
"Straight and Often"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic