Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1943 Lee Enfield Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 9:11am
It is pretty hard to improve on perfection!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 9:22am
TRUE! Thats why I aint never changed!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 6:04pm
I've seen Type 99 rifles converted to .30-06.
The best one of these had the barrel set back a bit before rechambering to eliminate the rear of the original chamber which is oversized for the base of the .30-06 case.
If not set back before rechambering fired cases will bulge.

Some Arisakas were rebarreled to .30-06 by Thailand IIRC, and some rebarreled to 7.92X57 by the Chinese. Later on some of the Chinese arisakas were converted to 7.62X39 for use as training rifles.
The Japanese had used captured Chinese armories to build or refirbish some rifles, and Chinese loyal to Japan manufactured some Type 30 rifles in 7.92 for their own use.

Only time I've heard of a Type 99 blowing up in recent years was when a gunsmith who is a member of another forum put a 7.92X57 cartridge in a 7.7 by mistake. luckily he was remote testfiring in a special booth.
If a chamber neck is too tight to allow quick release of a bullet the pressure increase is much greater than would be caused by the oversized bullet itself.
Major Hatcher wrote of a 7.7 rifle withstanding two rounds of .35 Remington, but blowing up on the third round sending steel shards into the shooter's brain. the young man survived after delicate brain surgery.
IronSights View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronSights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 5:41am
Originally posted by EnfieldNut82 EnfieldNut82 wrote:

How is that steyr m95 to fire? I have heard good and bad things about them. 

I haven't fired it yet.
Still need to take the time to clean the cosmoline off it.
I don't think it has ever been fired as the bore is clean as a whistle with the exception of the cosmoline.

My Type 99 is the early model which is what you want.
It has the chrome line barrel and they are made very well.
Later in the war due to time constraints, they didn't chrome them, and I hear they are made with very crappy metal. (Not Safe)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic