Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Military Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 Machine gun belt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 6:52am
...........and update your life insurance.Wink
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 4:05pm
This reminds me of a .303 based wildcat with very long neck and reduced capacity I saw images of months ago.
I think it kept the .303, or possibly a .308 bore, and was specifically for use with long heavy cast boolits.
The lube grooves were completely covered by the case neck and the gas check solidly supported by the neck. I think it was mentioned that the long neck improved reliability of paper patching.

While a small charge in a large case reduces chamber pressure it also makes burning of the charge less consistent unless a filler is used.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 5:33pm
There is the 303 Pygmy which is a 303 shortened to shoulder start length.  In Canada there is the 22-303 Varmint R which has a slightly shortened case.  Setting the shoulder back and increasing neck length would be my preference.  I'll stamp or engrave the load pressure or something on the barrel.  
303Guy
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 7:20am
"I don't plan on re-chambering a 303 to 7.62x39 but I do plan on joining a 22lr barrel to a 303 chamber to form a 22/303 wildcat for cast bullets.  A 16 twist can stabilize a 60gr bullet with a low muzzle blast cartridge.  The 22/303 is very close to a rimmed 220 Swift but a 22lr barrel won't last with full power jacketed loads.  I do have a 14 twist barrel steel 22lr barrel from a Toz but I want that one for a 22 hornet or 222 Remington."

Have they done any"fracking" ( extraction of shale gas ) in your area 303?
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

I have no idea.  Well, I didn't until now when I looked on the web and would you believe it - yes they are doing in Taranaki (western most part of North Island).  Holy cow.  And they're debating doing it in Southland (South Island)

"Turn on a tap, strike a match, and hold the flame to the water. You would expect the flame to go out, but in parts of the United States water can be set on fire."

Is that true?
303Guy
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 8:02pm
That is a good one. I have never heard that one before. Did not work in my house. If the water does catch on fire how do you put out the fire?

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by 303Guy 303Guy wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

I have no idea.  Well, I didn't until now when I looked on the web and would you believe it - yes they are doing in Taranaki (western most part of North Island).  Holy cow.  And they're debating doing it in Southland (South Island)

"Turn on a tap, strike a match, and hold the flame to the water. You would expect the flame to go out, but in parts of the United States water can be set on fire."

Is that true?
Closer to truth than you'd think!Confused

"The Cuyahoga River in the United States. Outside of Cleveland, Ohio the river is most famous for being "the river that caught fire", in the late 1960s.

I remember the highway which runs alongside it being closed because there was so much industrial waste the wind was blowing 25' diameter foam balls onto the blacktop & totally blocking visibility on the six-lane!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 11:42pm
I have herd in the 30's and 40's the Potomac river would catch fire from all the pollution in it.

That can not happen to today thanks to all the efforts of the US Government. In other words it is just full of "brown trout"

In this case "brown trout" are just sh!!.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 7:49am
Well, we are the 'clean green' capitol of the world and our gubbamint is trying it's dambdest to undo that (not to mention hiding all the past sins.  Did you know we used to spray dioxin all over the country?  We made the stuff for use in Vietnam!  Yup, we're 'clean green'.Clown

Anyway, I've found my AK cases and although they fit, they don't belong there.  What does fit and appear to belong in the belt are 8x57 Mauser cartridges.  That would make more sense since we were involved in the conflict with the Nazis.  It could also be Japanese.

303Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 8:19am
A Nazis belt, that make more sense than a Russian belt.

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 2:23pm
Now we know why you got the insane idea of slapping a 22 barrel on a 303.Evil Smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by 303Guy 303Guy wrote:

Well, we are the 'clean green' capitol of the world and our gubbamint is trying it's dambdest to undo that (not to mention hiding all the past sins.  Did you know we used to spray dioxin all over the country?  We made the stuff for use in Vietnam!  Yup, we're 'clean green'.Clown

Anyway, I've found my AK cases and although they fit, they don't belong there.  What does fit and appear to belong in the belt are 8x57 Mauser cartridges.  That would make more sense since we were involved in the conflict with the Nazis.  It could also be Japanese.

I thought the Dioxin was made in Canada rather than Australia. Canada produced most of the Napalm use there.
Suprisingly Canada manufactures much of the munnitions used by the U S Army even today.

I would guess that the Soviet steel link belts were copied from the German belts used by the MG34 and MG42.
There were some German ground LMGs that used disintegrating belts, These were Luftwaffe aerial guns modified for ground use, and required the belt designed for aerial guns. Those converted guns fired even faster than the MG42. Older aerial guns converted for ground use in WW2 were fed by saddle drums or box magazines.

PS
A nearby creek caught fire years ago, but that was due to the rupture of a under ground fuel storage tank at a service station just uphill from the creek.
I've read of an incident where workmen at a gasoline storage tank farm tried raising the level of gasoline in a tank for some purpose by hooking up a hose to a fire hydrant. Only problem was the city water there worked at only 80 PSI so the gasoline ended up draining back into and through the fire hydrant putting tens of thousands of gallons of gasoline into the plumbing of nearby homes.
They first discovered it when a guy sitting on a toliet dropped his cigarette butt in the toliet. He got so burns in the most uncomfortable places.
In Knoxville TN a restaurant manager was looking for the source of an odd smell in the kitchen. He had no flashlight handy so he used a candle.
That restaurant did not use gas so a gas leak never entered his mind. Unfortunately a broken electrical conduit tube and a leaking gas main in the same underground tunnel resulted in gas coming up through the conduit into the kitchen.
No one was killed or seriously injured but the TV news showed dozens of patrons wandering around the parking lot with torn and scorched clothes and soot blackened faces. I doubt the crowd had a complete eyebrow between them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 8:00pm
Dioxin you say? I sprayed lots of dioxin in NJ when I was in the Army in the 70's. Maybe that is why my boots started to rot after only six months in the Army.

Ed
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:17pm
It looks like a non disintegrating metal link belt for an MG34/MG42 in 8mm Mauser to me.
I have a couple of pics of such a linked belt with the "beak" from a re enactment, but cant get a really good image of the belt itself. Here's an image I lifted from a site with more info. Came as 5 X 50 round belts to a box, you could combine the 50-rounders to make longer ones if you wished.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 12:59am
Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

Dioxin you say? I sprayed lots of dioxin in NJ when I was in the Army in the 70's. Maybe that is why my boots started to rot after only six months in the Army.

Ed

Course-it wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with the 2,500 sweat glands in your feet, being a little overactive?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 2:27am

That's the one!  These are 8x57 empties I had picked up on a range.  I'll see if I can get some more from the range as well as some loaded rounds to populate the belt for a wall hanger.

303Guy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic