Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1893 Enfield Indentification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujibelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1893 Enfield Indentification
    Posted: May 02 2013 at 7:54pm
Hi guys, my name is Sam. I am from Australia and have recently purchased an Enfield firearm, I have been searching for answers but cannot seem to find definitive answers.

From what I can gather it's one of the early Enfields possibly Lee-Metford, I have attached photos hopefully some of you guys can indentify the firearm.

BlackAck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 1:55am
I think it could very well be a Lee-Metford.  It's in very good condition for being sporterized.  
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 2:05am
I believe it is a converted Lee-Metford judging from the age of the receiver. The ConD II* mark on the wrist means it was converted to the Mk I* SMLE standard. I also noted that it was rebarreled in 1943. How's the bore on it?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 5:04am
welcome to the site ,  we have many here who can help you , the photos are the best vehical but im seeing them distorted  

im glad the above members can see what they are telling you - because of the need to resize the photos i cannot make out much other than its originally an 1898 BSA II ,
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 5:41am
What he said.
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 6:27am
As a sporter it looks nice.  The bolt is not an original unless it was modified (I don't know if they did bolt modifications, only that early LMLE's were converted to SMLE's). I'm going to do something like that to one of my Enfield's butt stocks but in the long term I plan on building a new composite one.  

303Guy
MaxP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 6:52am
 I don't think the barrel was fitted in service either. It is a 1943 Lithgow production barrel. It looks to me like a purposely assembled sporter, using a pre charger bridge action.
From what I can see there are no original parts left at all. It was a Magazine Lee Metford MkII, then a Short Lee Enfield Converted II which was done from 1903 to use the old Long Lee's to make the new short rifle.

As you see, they make a very cool looking sporter, but there is probably a lot more trouble than it's worth if you were considering to restore it as it's last ":incarnation" was the Sht LE ConD II
jujibelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujibelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 8:26am
Wow so much information thrown at me haha. Yeah it's a neat little sporter, there is too much work to restore back to original to be honest probably just use it as a deer hunter.

I have added full resolution photos into an album, with a couple more clearer barrel markings. Found http://imageshack.us/g/1/10133419/

I am fairly new to firearms, I am not sure what the best method is to check headspace and barrel bore? Any recommendations?
MaxP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 11:28am
 What part of the country are you in? The only reliable way to check headspace is with the proper gauges. An experienced shooter should be able to tell you what sort of condition your bore is in, then it's just a matter of finding ammunition or projectiles and powder loads that suit your target species and behave well in your rifle.
jujibelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujibelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 3:52pm
I am from Melbourne
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic