Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Web sling cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Web sling cleaning
    Posted: May 10 2013 at 2:24am
What is the best method for cleaning web a sling?

I have a sling that is some what dirty from being stored in a barn junk box.

Thanks,

Ed
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 3:17am
Ayup...

The best method is a hot water and soap bath-scrub. Once its done, take it into open area, and swing it around your head like a lariat. This will get rid of the water excess. Then peg it up to dry.

That's actually how we used to do it!
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 3:36am
Sarge, did you use a brush or anything to get the really ground in stuff washed out?
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 3:45am
This is where the -ELBOW GREASE- comes in. let the sling soak for a minute or two... let the webbing absorb the water... then get an every day hard bristle scrubbing brush (proper bass broom stuff.. no nylon). Put the soap from a bar onto the sling.. not the brush... then have fun.

For normal cleaning... a nylon bristled scrubbing brush will do just fine.

paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 3:53am
Sarge,

For the "(proper bass broom stuff.. no nylon)" are you speaking of a scrub brush with metal, brass or steel" bristles? Like you use to clean rust off steel?

Originally posted by Sarge Sarge wrote:

This is where the -ELBOW GREASE- comes in. let the sling soak for a minute or two... let the webbing absorb the water... then get an every day hard bristle scrubbing brush (proper bass broom stuff.. no nylon). Put the soap from a bar onto the sling.. not the brush... then have fun.

For normal cleaning... a nylon bristled scrubbing brush will do just fine.

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 4:17am

By crikey... NO! Metal bristles will tear the webbing to shredds!!!

I can't recall what its called over the pond, but here a normal yard broom (which I think you chaps call it) is called a -Bass Broom. Natural bristles.. the twiggy kind. I've used a heavy duty scrubbing brush over the pond.. so I know you can get them over there. if you want to use nylon bristles... you can... but its a lot harder work to get the really stubbourn grime off.

If you don't want to get on the wrong side of -her indoors- then make sure you have a nice clean patch on the garage floor, or out in the yard... lay the sling out, then set to work.

A picture paints a thousand words.. as they say. Here's the heavy duty scrubbing brush I'm referring to.....

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 6:12am
We used to use salt water & a stiff bristled brush much like the one Sarge shows, followed by a fresh water rinse. If you forget the rinse the salt water really messes up the rivets & brass end fittings so use lots of scrubbing & fresh water afterwards. The salt was supposed to bleach the fabric slightly.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 7:59am
Salt!!!!

Never heard of anyone using that before. Salt in itself is a currosive, so it acts like bleach.... rots the fabric of the webbing in time. Not really a substance which I would recommend for cleaning fabrics of sorts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 8:50am
Thank you all for your help.

I have learned a lot to day on cleaning slings.

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 3:51pm
Let the sling soak in a bucket of hot water with a dash of washing machire detergent, then when your Mrs is out stuff the sling in an old pillow case ( to prevent damage to the drum) and pop it in the washing machine. If your Mrs comes home early and finds it in the wash just tell her a loony limey told you to do it. Big smile
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 6:16pm
HEY! I resemble that remark!!!   
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 8:41pm
We always called those brushes "DECK BRUSH".
As for referring to TONY as a "LOONEY LIMEY", believe me..she'll believe it...so will anyone else!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:42pm
Tony,

You are trying to get me in trouble with the better half?

I might upgrade the method to two (2) pillow cases.

Ed

Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Let the sling soak in a bucket of hot water with a dash of washing machire detergent, then when your Mrs is out stuff the sling in an old pillow case ( to prevent damage to the drum) and pop it in the washing machine. If your Mrs comes home early and finds it in the wash just tell her a loony limey told you to do it. Big smile
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:47am
Don't do wot I did...clean the dirty shootin irons in the bathtub.(That cost me $2,300..& the wrath of GOD!)
Now she's gone...so maybe I'll take a bath WITH the parade sling & try to get the white paint out of it!
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:58am
As I live out off the beaten path, in the boonies, I use a 55 gallon rum to clean rifles. To take a bath I use the pond out back. The snapper turtles do not mind.

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 4:30am
Ahhhhhhhh the joys of being single, No1 son and I don't have your problems All we argue about is 1 who's turn is it to do the cooking and 2 what we're going to eat.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic