Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The end is nigh - or is it

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The end is nigh - or is it
    Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:17am
In previous posts, I have asked our illustrious members for assistance in getting my Lee Enfield No4 MKI to shoot groups.
I finally got the bad news from my gunsmith, and the barrel is poked.
What I did not notice and the gunsmith noticed, was two small bulges in the barrel about mid way down. So that puts paid to that puzzle over accuracy.

Now my fairy god mother appeared with a high quality 303 barrel, Now the but. It is currently mounted on a No1 Mk1 action, and my question is are the barrel threads the same on a No4 MKI and a No1 MK1?

PS: Due to licensing restrictions, I cannot use the NO1 as is.
Not a complete idiot. Still missing a few parts.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:39am
The threads are the same but they will not clock on correctly the No1 Barrel will be upside down when tightened.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:02am
With luck the gunsmith may then be able to sort that out. I am going to hold thumbs.
Not a complete idiot. Still missing a few parts.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 5:43am
i wish you good luck , id like to hear a success story here
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:09am

Out of curiosity, what are the licensing restrictions that make it so you can't use the Mk I action? It's an unfortunate thing for sure, and I always like to find out what kind of laws other people around the world have to deal with.

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:34pm
A No.1 Barrel can be fitted but requires trimming breech and shoulder by a bit less than half a thread. Then you'd have to freshen the chamber.
Best if you get a No.4 barrel, since the No.1 barrels are a bit slimmer and No.4 type bedding doesn't handle the barrel vibration of the slim barrel that produces long range compensation with slim barrels as well as the more complicated bedding methods of the No.1 fore end with its plunger and band.

If used as a sporter, with target accuracy secondary to utility in the field the lighter No.1 barrel could be a plus.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic