Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to figure out what I bought

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splangeland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to figure out what I bought
    Posted: May 28 2013 at 12:37pm
Hey folks! New to the forum, and Enfield's. I was on vacation and happened to find an Enfield and fell in love with it. Let me say I know absolutely nothing about these guns. All I have been able to figure out through research and reading the markings,  is it is a 1918 NO.1 MKIII. When I found pictures I learned that the rest of the stock has been cut or the whole thing completely replaced. I am trying to just learn more about it. Is there any ammo I should avoid shooting through it since its so old I don't want to have a grenade go off in my face. The million dollar question, I payed $125 for it. Did I score an okay deal or should I have passed it up? Also, does anyone know where I can get a stock for this? Any info would be awesome because as I said I am not an Enfield man.

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 3:40pm
he!!o and welcome to our merry band  you have a sporterized No1 Mk III* Short Magazine Lee Enfield SMLE made at the Lithgow plant in Austrailia. The Price you paid is typical for what a sporter sells for in the US.  The barrel does not look like it has been cut so you could restore it.
Here is a list of parts sources:

Cheers
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:12pm
I have a few questions of my own.
Why is St.Albans Vt stamped on it?
Where did all these "other" numbers stamped into it come from?
From what I can tell-your bolt & barrel #'s all match, so that's a good thing.
Hows the rifeling?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 9:29pm
St Albans is where the importer was located  Century Arms
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 9:46pm
the 3MD on there indicates it served in the austrailian third military district , as did my BSA mkIII , seems to have missmatched bolt/receiver/magazine , but looks to be in decent condition and is a candidate for restoration i think ,

welcome to the forum and enfeilds
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:54pm
Nice rifle and it can be restored.

Lots of Enfield goodies here.

http://www.gunboards.com/sites/reichoutfitters/index.html
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:12pm
Well worth restoring this rifle. The early Lithgows don't come up a whole lot, even the ones with mixed parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 12:52am
Bear 43,

I agree with you.

I would restore this rifle if it where mine.

Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

Well worth restoring this rifle. The early Lithgows don't come up a whole lot, even the ones with mixed parts.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 2:41am
Hoadie, Century would sometimes add additional stamping, "No I mkIII" and "303". 

Ed
BlackAck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 2:51am
It looks like the rear sight ears are missing too.  Are those easy to replace?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 3:10am
I do not think the ears are hard to replace.

Originally posted by BlackAck BlackAck wrote:

It looks like the rear sight ears are missing too.  Are those easy to replace?
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 3:46am
i need to apoligize , in relooking the bolt /receiver/bbl match#s , the mag is no big deal , but also matches
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 4:45am
After you said that I had to look again, and you are right A_square. That last digit on the receiver is kind of hard to see too.
BlackAck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackAck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 6:22am
It's corrosion or crud, but I too had to look twice
splangeland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splangeland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:57am
Awesome info guys! So if I understand it is a matching numbers gun, right? I believe its crud or cosmoline that is covering the numbers on the barel. I found what looks like cosmoline still in the mag when I was out shooting today so I'm guessing the previous owner didn't clean it out too well.

I ran a few patches down the barel today, not much because I was in a hurry to take it to the range today. The bore didn't look the best in world but it wasn't pitted out or anything, just not a mirror finish. The patches were coming out brown like maybe there was some surface rust or something in there I'm not sure but I only ran maybe 10 patches through it.

100yds. I think most of the grouping problem was honestly...Me. By the time I actually shot paper with it my shoulder was pretty tender and I was flinching something awful. My barrel was also kind of hot once I got done busting the steel gong at 200yds. I really think it would have shot better, If I would have shot better. All in all I was pretty happy with how it shot. I think it shoots better than my M91/30. Ammo was pretty pricey so I think I might get into reloading. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 9:39pm
yes , all matching , again im sorry for the error post earlier , my old eyes dont see as well as they once did , even with the cheaters
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic