Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Ishapore 2A1 Navy Arms No.7 Jungle Carbine 7.62
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Ishapore 2A1 Navy Arms No.7 Jungle Carbine 7.62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Ishapore 2A1 Navy Arms No.7 Jungle Carbine 7.62
    Posted: June 30 2013 at 9:05pm
Hi there

I my ishy a couple of years ago. Just started shooting her and getting the poi to 100 yds for my club.

Mojo rear sight on the way and I've just put a budget hawke 4x32 scope on her, but need to raise the cheek piece. Was going to increase the height with longer screws and metal tube spacers, then thought about making it adjustable with bolts. Now I'm veering towards a big block of hardwood to make a higher riser.

Please feel free to offer any advice or comments. Thanks for looking. Smile
Better pics on way soon.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 9:43pm
Very nice carbine.

I have a great respect for Enfield carbines. A small package that packs a wallop.

How hard to obtain and what is the cost of ammo in the UK?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
tasum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 10:20pm
Hi there Mr P

ammo prices have gone mad over here. I pay about £14 for 20 rounds of .303 and about the same for milsurps 7.62. availability ok. not tried any .308 in my rifle. not too keen on doing so, although i know some people do. Thumbs Up

I've just bought some .308 dies and large primers to reload my own rounds. should work out a lot cheaper than 70p each. Big smile

How much over there?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 10:44pm
G'day from access the pond Tasum,

Right now £14  equal $26.70 in USD.

Currently I am paying, $16.00 / £10.5, (per 20 rounds) for new commercially produced ammo.

Military surplus (when available) is about, $50-$60/£ 33-40, per hundred.

Cheers,

Ed

Originally posted by tasum tasum wrote:

Hi there Mr P

ammo prices have gone mad over here. I pay about £14 for 20 rounds of .303 and about the same for milsurps 7.62. availability ok. not tried any .308 in my rifle. not too keen on doing so, although i know some people do. Thumbs Up

I've just bought some .308 dies and large primers to reload my own rounds. should work out a lot cheaper than 70p each. Big smile

How much over there?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 9:04am
I didn't even know they made the carbine in 7.62.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 9:14am
The company in the States, Navy Arms,  fabricated them from Indian made No1 Mk3 rifles in 7.62mm.
tasum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Hoadie

Hi H

I understand that the Indians improved the metal quality and manufactured smles in 7.62mm as their issued battle rifle as a stop gap between the .303 enfields and the fn's which were taking a while to arrive and which were a costly upgrade.

This makes the Ishapore rifles very strong and able to handle the 7.62 round. I believe the ishys were the last bolt actio battle rifle to be issued to serving troops.

Navy Arms and Gibbs, probably along with some other companies, took these rifles and the .303's and made them into jungle copies. The Gibbs rifles were sometimes sporterised in stainless steel for the US market.

I believe that there were also conversions of the .303 rifles to 7.62. These converted rifles could be prone to issues as the receivers weren't designed to handle the 7.62 cartridge.

Mine was made the same year I was so I had to have it. LOL

It shoots well. I've had the flash hider re-aligned to allow the front sight to be central on the barrel (no windage adjustment on standard ishy smle's) and had the barrel re-crowned.

It has a very short sight radius for a rifle and I shoot at 100 yds at my club and so I've replaced the fornt sigt blade with a higher blade to bring the poi up and it's abut right.

If you have the chance to shoot one I'd recommend it. The ishys tend to have the aluminium butt plate and are marked RFI. They are a nice handling and lightish rifle with a 12 round magazine.

Mine has a scope mount fitted and so I've not tried loading it with stripper clips.

I hope this helps. Smile
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 9:46pm
Thanx Tasum..I was thinking there was another critter out there I may have to aspire to acquire.
But-I have the real deal, so I'm relieved
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 9:54pm
Hoadie,

You "need" this carbine.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 10:12pm
A suggestion, & a question if I may.
Is that scope mount canted down at the front in real life, or is it just a photographic effect?
As for raising the cheekpiece there's a couple of things to coinsider.

First the bolt has to clear the cheekpiece so there is a practical limit to the height. I think whoever fitted yours put it way back towards the butt in an attempt to get round the bolt fouling issue as I've never seen one that far back before.

That might be part of what's making it uncomfortable to use because you need to have your head & neck at a twisted position to get a decent cheek weld.

Here's a more standard installation which as you can see is further forward, allowing a more comfortable positioning of the face & just low enough to allow bolt clearance.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
tasum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 4:53pm
Thanks for the comments Shamu. I think it's the picture that makes the mount look canted. I'm going to take some pictures of my own and get them up.

I didn't notice that the riser is set so far back. Your picture and comments have helped. Neither did I consider taking the bolt throw into account when looking at making another riser. Thank you. Thumbs Up

I'm still toying with an adjustable option, but will give it some more thought. Looking at your rifle, the riser is quite low. Maybe I should be looking at adopting a higher position with the riser I have; I'm guessing all those who have shot these rifles with scopes before me must have got it right.

Thank you all for your comments.

Originally posted by paddyofurniture paddyofurniture wrote:

Hoadie,

You "need" this carbine.

classic and true LOL

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 2:38am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Hoadie

this is a commercial sporting of the indian 2A or 2A1 rifles , they were produced in 762 NATO 
bigochief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigochief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 1:13am
Sir: I live in the US and having problems getting parts for the 2A1 Jungle Carbine. Do you have a source?
I need the forward stock piece and the rear barrel band and screw for the lower forend stock.

Please email me direct if you can provide any leads.

Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 1:52am
he!!o Bigochief,

You rifle is made from a Indian Ishapore No1 MKIII * .

You can obtain a military  cut down or sportized forearm for your wood needs from many places on line.

You can place an ad in this section:

http://www.enfield-rifles.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=17

Ed

Originally posted by bigochief bigochief wrote:

Sir: I live in the US and having problems getting parts for the 2A1 Jungle Carbine. Do you have a source?
I need the forward stock piece and the rear barrel band and screw for the lower forend stock.

Please email me direct if you can provide any leads.

Bob
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 3:49pm
I would own one, it's not an original, but I would still shoot and hunt it for sure.
LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 10:39pm
Is the 2A1 butt stock different from the 2A butt stock? This one seems to have much less drop at heel.
Is that one of the Cupped aluminum butt plates, similar to that used on the K98K?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic