FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY ISHAPORE NO. 1 MK. 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
petes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY ISHAPORE NO. 1 MK. 3
    Posted: November 22 2013 at 9:36pm
Nice looking rifle.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 5:05am
very nice looking ishy 303 , i had one once but not in that condition , congrats on a nice find , 

for clarification the marking should be read as 1951, over , no1 mk3* , the star is associated with the mark not the date even though it could be misinterpreted by the way it was stamped , 
spentprimer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spentprimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 12:42am
Nice looking rifle you have there Sonny.  It looks quite a bit like mine, although, mine says GRI and 1948.  Mine does not have holes in the front sight "ears".  The bore looked terrible when I got it and elbow grease, No.9, brush and patches and about 5 hours got her looking pretty good now.  It did not have an extractor spring, but, Liberty Tree came through with that and I got it installed last week.  It has been too darned hot here to get to the range, so I went to a gun show yesterday and found some old military ammo on clips that I will will try when it cools down.  I like the heft to them as well and there is something about a full length stock that draws me in.  The RFI bayonet is ready for any close work I may encounter.  The butt's toe and heel both have had a repair done.  I may have to take her to deer camp in November.

Have you shot yours?  What ammo have you used?  How does it group?
SonnyB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 6:25am
Interesting series of pix from NRA web site:

http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum/the-galleries/ever-vigilant/case-66-a-war-in-korea/ishapore-arsenal-smle-no-1-mk-iii-bolt-action-rifle.aspx

Regards,
Sonny

"Strike sure"
SonnyB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 6:07am

I love the look and feel of this rifle. It's got some real heft to it, much heavier than my No4 MkI.  I doubt it saw much use judging from the bore, which looks clean. Images pasted below.

Wristguard markings

3-headed Ashoka (per Wikipedia)

RFI (Rifle Factory Ishapore)

1951*

No. 1 Mk. 3

Receiver, right rear

CAI ST ALB VT [importer: Century Arms International, St. Albans, Vermont]

MK III

Regards,
Sonny

"Strike sure"
 Post Reply Post Reply