Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rust clean-up - how to stop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nailcreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust clean-up - how to stop?
    Posted: October 06 2013 at 12:31am
While working on the Bubba'd SMLE barreled action to get it cleaned up, I've noticed some very light rust spotting at various places on the action. I'd post a photo, but it is very subtle and wouldn't photograph well, it is however, noticeable to the eye.

Typically, I've used WD40 and steel wool to clean things up, but it seems that after doing so the small rust spots come back or are at least visible again. Any recommendations?

daneko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 3:22am
I have used blue wonder on a very rusty winchester model 95. it helped a lot. they have a little video that shows application. bluewonder.us to see products and video....Dane...
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 4:01am
Forget the WD40, it is not a rust preventative. Try soaking it in good old ATF for a week or so. 
Pro Deo et Patria
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 6:53am
Oil?
It really is a great moisture barrier.Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
nicholst55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicholst55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 8:39am
Oils won't do anything as long as there is live rust present.  Either buy some Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover at Wal-Mart or your LGS, or try Home Depot for some phosphoric acid.  Both will remove rus AND bluing, so be careful.  Plain old Naval Jelly will also work just fine.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 1:05pm
"Plain old Naval Jelly" is no longer available in many states. I can no longer obtain it here in Canada, either.(Fortunatley, my 'Merican neighbours in NY State still allow it.(Thay aint very "Eco-conscious"
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 2:53pm
he is right about the WD40 tho , will not stop it , it displaces water , need to neutralize the rust 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 8:45pm
Sorry for the confusion. I meant that you could oil well to prevent more rust forming after the existing stuff was removed.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 2:15am
WD40 actually stands for...WATER DISPLACEMENT (formula)40.
Actually was made with fish oil.
(I know ALL KINDS of useless stuff!)
Hoadie
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 5:04am
Sorry Hoadie, the fish oil thing is an urban legend.
http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

sayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 8:22am
Has anyone heard of using Coke as a rust remover? I've heard it works well, but haven't tried it myself.
I support hard work, creativity, freedom, responsibility and truth
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 9:09am
Heard of using a hot Coke to clean batteries and stuff with.
My Step Dad used to send me to the store when he worked at the Dock as a Mechanic helper for a boat company to clean batteries with.... 
The first time he sent me for one he had to explain why he wanted a HOT Coke !!  I kept asking why ?? They sell them cold and you dont have to put it on ice !!!  As a kid I could not fathom wasting a Coke for cleaning !LOL!!!
I have never tried it since ....
Oh and that was when you could buy a Coke for 25 cents ... and yes I remember paying a Dime for one and having to drink it in the store because I didnt have a nickle for deposit !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 9:18am
We used regular temp coke. Then my dad would kick me in the ass for letting the terminals corrode in the first place.
Then we covered 'em in grease..never had that prob since.
Hoadie
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 9:25am
Hoadie , when I say Hot Coke Im talking about off the shelf temp. probably the same as your talking about ....
But I have used Copper never seize before !!!  Pissed the batter guy off at the parts store when they come out and put the alternator tester on the truck !!!! LOL!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 11:22am
I use copper never seize on my 4x4, works great. I have some other never seize compound that I use which is toxic and I have to use latex gloves to apply it to chassis bolts. I dunno what's in that sh!t but it works great. Getting back to the original post, I use transmission fluid to remove rust, that and some 0000 steel wool will take that rust off el pronto and leaves a coating that protects against future rusting. I believe that tranny fluid is 30 weight oil with anti foaming agents and a cleanser to keep the tranny parts clean and lubed. Naval jelly works great as well, but is really hard to find in my area.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 2:26pm
tranny fluid - thats a nice bit of info i did not know 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic