Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 4 Mk I* and No 9 Mk I bayo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old cadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No 4 Mk I* and No 9 Mk I bayo?
    Posted: December 16 2013 at 4:58pm

Hey, this is my first post, sorry for my English.

The problem is: I have No 4 Mk I*, 1944, Long Branch. And bayonet No 9 Mk I, POF, 1956.

Bayonet doesn’t fit. What can I do? 

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 2:15am
they should fit together , as far as i know , the mil spec did not change , but as i am unfamiliar with the POF rifles/bayonets i could be wrong in this case , my mk2 is a FAZ , and my no9 is a poole , this leaves me with only brit made items to compare with , pakistan 'could' have altered things to their own design , 

but im more inclined  to think the locking lug of your bayonet is fouled with cosmoline , if you were to soak it thoroughly in kerosene [think the brits call it parafin] or some similar cleaner i think you may actually get it to work , 

longbranch bayonets fit all my no4 rifles as well as my entrenching tool , but one of my spike bayonets came to me so encrusted in dried cosmoline that the lock button would not work , and another seemed to work fine but the bottom of the socket was caked full and would not go completely in place , i soaked them and used various cleaning tools to get them cleared , it was a bit of work , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 5:20am
Although they should fit this is far from the first one I've heard of that has not done so.
Maybe there is a run of reproductions or something that doesn't quite fit?

Question for OLD CADET:
does the bayonet even slip over the muzzle, or does it just not rotate into the lugs?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 6:00am
good point , i assumed it went over the muzzle like mine did , but just would not lock on the lugs , 

im inclined to agree with your speculation only because its a POF bayonet that i know absolutely nothing about , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 6:04am
Somewhere I have measurements of the barrel, hole in the Bayonet socket, width across the lugs & so on. Let me go see if I can find them.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 9:14am
I have 2 Pakis at home , and some No# 9 bayos , I will have to check when I get home from work next week!
and I can try swapping bayos around on all my Enfields , including my Long branch...
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 1:05pm
it may well be just that POF bayo , but i look forward to any input , hope he drops back in to respond to my first thoughts as well as shamus later ones 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 9:55am
I just today bought one online and when it gets here I'll try fitting it to one of my #4's and report back to the forum. I got a 1961 dated unit with scabbard and frog.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 2:58pm
good that will tell us more of these , come to think of it my no9 has only been fitted to my mk2 rifle sinse ive owned it - never had the inclination to try it on any of the others , perhaps ill dig it out and mess about a bit , 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 3:08pm
That would be great!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 5:18pm
I forgot all about this !!!!  the problems with working 14 days straight !!!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 5:53pm
I hear 'ya, Rhino! Been there, done that for a very long time!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 6:11pm
I guess its better than when I was with GE and worked until the job was complete !!!  I once got into the end of a job that ran 6 months straight ....  7 /12s !!!! in Athens Ga. it seemed as they completed work on one Turbine another wrecked !!!  they had 26 peak Turbine Generators on site and No# 27 was almost complete , with 28 half way, 29 had the foundation poured and 30 was being laid out and the forms being built to pour the footings !! 
That was some good money!!!  I got 6 weeks out of that one , then went down to Demopolis Ala. and went through a few of their Peak units !!!!  another 8 weeks !!!!!of 7/12s with some extra time for me since it seemed no one on nights could fix the flex seal on the exhaust !!!!!
In a way I miss those days !!! they seem so care free to me now!!!!  it was fun!!! even the times I got to insult the night foreman and get away with it !!!! Nice to have the GE Engineer on your side !!!  and what I said to insult him was the truth !!!! LOL!!! 

"White Rhino"

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 6:27pm
He most likely deserved those accolades! LOL
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

He most likely deserved those accolades! LOL

Yea!!! He did !!!!    since we try and act civil here on the forum I wont post what I said ....Censored
"White Rhino"

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 8:00pm
best not said , but we can imagine , 

to the OP - my poole bayonet fits all of my mkI-mkI*-mk2 rifles equally well , im thinking it a POF thing at the moment or a cleaning issue , 

il edit to say i do not have a POF bayonet nor a POF rifle , so i could be missing something here 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic