Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going for Boar.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 3:16am
I think its the western side of the Canadian part of the Rocky Mountains?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 3:47am
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 7:30am
Yep, CO
Pro Deo et Patria
Tararuaphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tararuaphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 2:03pm
Hi gents, I've just registered so I can add a few helpfull contributions & learn from others experience. Here in New Zealand the 303 calibre has taken (& still does) all our big game including Wapiti (elk) & Samba & I know from personal experience that even the biggest boars are anchored on the spot with the 150gn when hit in the riight spot. I load the 150gn Hornady sp or 180 gn Speer sp for most of my hunting & when they become too expensive to buy or in short supply I'll "hollow point " FMJ's so the point of impact will be much the same as the 180 gners just remember the fighting shield that boars have over their front quarters which can be over 2 inches thick grisle on the big boys. I don't use a scope for the Mk111 but I can usually drop the pigs& red deer  out to about 150yds ok, even with these old eyes.
Happy hunting.
Phil
Awaiting the kingdom on earth when Jesus Christ returns
rico567 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rico567 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 8:34pm
A laser bore sighter is wonderful, as long as you remember to take it out of the bore before you shoot. There's a really good pic of  rifle somewhere online with a banana-peel barrel where someone forgot before they shot. It's a bit fussy, but I'll stick with my old optical Bushnell.
"Arms and the man I sing."
-Virgil, The Æneid
rico567 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rico567 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Tararuaphil Tararuaphil wrote:

Hi gents, I've just registered so I can add a few helpfull contributions & learn from others experience. Here in New Zealand the 303 calibre has taken (& still does) all our big game including Wapiti (elk) & Samba & I know from personal experience that even the biggest boars are anchored on the spot with the 150gn when hit in the riight spot. I load the 150gn Hornady sp or 180 gn Speer sp for most of my hunting & when they become too expensive to buy or in short supply I'll "hollow point " FMJ's so the point of impact will be much the same as the 180 gners just remember the fighting shield that boars have over their front quarters which can be over 2 inches thick grisle on the big boys. I don't use a scope for the Mk111 but I can usually drop the pigs& red deer  out to about 150yds ok, even with these old eyes.
Happy hunting.
Phil

This makes the excellent point that shot placement is a far more important criterion than the caliber. I believe that any of the .30 rifles mentioned in this thread will do the work with bullets 150 gr. and up, including my old Winchester 94 in .30-30.
"Arms and the man I sing."
-Virgil, The Æneid
Longbow14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 9:59am
next weekend ill be on the hunt. ill post a report when I'm back

Longbow14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 1:29am
so I hunted for two days from stands never seeing anything. 

then I spent most of the morning and afternoon trying to jump shoot hogs in dense scrub and marshes. It was humid, dark, and about 95+F, After missing three i realized why they made a jungle carbine!

So we hopped in the truck with the dogs and i grabbed my .357. two at nearly point blank through the lungs

paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:39am
Lunch time, where the grill?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Longbow14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 3:45am
i've got the ribs and hams aging. One picnic roast marinating in Mojo, one in apple cider, the backstraps and tenderloins are in teriyaki, and the pelvis is sitting in Coca-Cola. Pork-a-polooza is this friday.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 4:20am
Hmmm...Sounds "boar-ing" to me
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 5:42am
Nice!
Cut a few chops & jerk them as well!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 5:58am
West Florida ???  What town ?????  I used to live in Florida when I was a teen !!! Probably not the area your in , but who knows !!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Longbow14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 6:05am
I have to admit i was feeling pretty "gnarly" after that heat, and a whiskey filled evening at camp. but my crappy shooting was my own "Hog Fever" and not the rifle. I'm bring the rifle again next time i go to prove that it's a hog slayer. 

and Rhino: I used to live in Pensacola but i moved to Orlando and forgot to change my profile.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 9:26am
I used to live in McDavid in a little area known as Christian Home. Near Brat Fla. ...Have a step Aunt and Uncle still in Pensacola , on Pine Forest Rd.

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Longbow14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbow14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 8:20pm
theres a great gun shop on Pine forest called Buck and Bass. Nice people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic