Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1/53 PF MkII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1/53 PF MkII
    Posted: February 21 2014 at 1:06pm

Never never have BBQ with the kids on the back porch before sunset. I was taking a few pictures by the last fair light and the challenge started. We all shot two shots each off hand at a steel plate out by the barn about 80 yards. Can't call it unfired anymore. I don't know weather to laugh or cry. CryEmbarrassed

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 4:25pm
If the dog didn't fire it, consider it still unfired.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 10:32pm
Who knows what went on while we ate?

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 12:45am
If it has "ring around the firing pin" it fired. No problem though, that's what they were built to do.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 2:01am
But I feel so dirty now. Like I was holding a Mauser in a closet. :(

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 4:51am
Whoa, dude, take it easy its not that bad!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 6:43am
Be easy on yourself MJ11, if you need to talk this through we are here to lend a sympathetic ear. What a beautiful dog you have guarding your T hanging on the wall! Male or female? I love that breed of dog, really good with the little kids (in my experience).
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 9:06am
That was my little girl and she passed two years ago this week at ten and half years.

I can't feel the ring on the bolt face and I counted the empty cases at five and all were new Winchester with Federal primers. I'm surprised it etched so fast but maybe the light film of oil was just cooked.

All that and nobody hit the steel plate.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 10:07am
Sorry for your loss, I really am. Yes, I am certain that some oil got cooked and left a ring on the bolt face. Makes total sense to me.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 10:09am
my opinion , worth the little it is - if they did not fire it  , after building it ,  in a controlled environment . to test it , i'm not gonna be the guinnie pig , i'm still saying these were all fired once at least , don't give me the "unfired" BS , we don't need it and really those who know - don't want it ,  those that buy based on that - get just what they deserve - not a military weapon , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 8:48pm
My mummy was definitely fired before wrapping. The lazy buggers didn't even clean it I had to do that 55 years later!Evil Smile
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 9:38pm
As it had not been cleaned before it was wrapped was there any pitting / rust issues when you cleaned it?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 12:05am
I beg to differ. Knowing people who worked on the test lines there just isn't time to fire every rifle. One from each rack was normal.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 12:10am
None. I think they dumped it in the hot cosmo almost immediately. There was definitely bore fouling of both powder & metal when I cleaned the "new, unfired" rifle.

I was utterly stunned to think that under the wrap & cosmolene there was firing residue, but there was. If it was proof rounds, or a function test I don't know but I'm 100% certain at least one round, probably more had been fired before the cosmolene went in.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 4:54am
I have seen it both ways. Spotless and fouled with rack numbers plus handling dents with dirt but still unfired.

I have it from first hand that in 1943 and1944 only one in ten M1's were fired at Springfield.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 7:07am
That's why I got an Enfield instead of an M-1 Big smile At least we proofed all of oursBeer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic