Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Enfield Newbie - bought a  JJ/NY Lithgow No1 Mk3*
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield Newbie - bought a JJ/NY Lithgow No1 Mk3*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57Overlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield Newbie - bought a JJ/NY Lithgow No1 Mk3*
    Posted: May 30 2014 at 8:26am
he!!o all,

I'm a budding milsurp rifle collector and I've been bitten by the Enfield bug. I've been looking for a Lithgow No. 1 Mk III* and I just purchased via gunbroker what I assumed was a nice one. The dealer selling the rifle is running an estate sale. He stated that he usually didn't sell milsurps and didn't know much about them. He also said the former owner bought the rifle in the 80s, shot it some , but mostly kept it as a safe queen.

I hate to admit this because I do my research but I discovered a) it was a John Jovino import. I didn't know the significance of that until after some more reading.

That said, I think I lucked out and got a complete rifle and not a rebuilt parts gun. The receiver, bolt and end cap numbers are matching as well as fore-end. It's a 1942 D prefix, the furniture is SLAZ dated 1942. I'm not in possession of the rifle yet, but in one of the pics , it appears that the stock has the appropriate acceptance marks (can faintly be made out).

Anyway, I don't mean to post what probably is "I'm a newbie, look at my Enfield!" thread, but I would truly appreciate any information and opinions.

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 2:37pm

Welcome to the Forum.

I was worried when you envoked the name of Jovino but it does not appear to be a parts gun and is in great shape.  It does have a U.S. 1907 sling on it and not a British Web one which makes it look a bit odd to me. 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 7:06pm
My impression is that it has had very little use. The stamps are still crisp and it has a remarkable lack of dents, scratches and dings.
A good buy for a first, second or third for that matter.Thumbs Up
57Overlander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57Overlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 8:29pm
Thanks. I'm not really concerned if it the rifle hasn't "been there, done that". I just want a nice representative sample of a Lithgow Enfield. It's a mystery to me why the wood looks so good. Maybe the Aussie equivalent of reserve or home guard rifle? I read on another forum that Lithgow had a number of unused 1942 stock sets that JJCO purchased and threw on a number of rifles.

I plan on taking it apart and checking for the recoil plates. That's my biggest concern, because I really want a shooter. I also have a nice web sling from one of my Lithgow L1A1 parts kits.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 9:16pm
Yes it's a good one.
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 10:11pm
Definately isnt a 'School Cadet' rifle. We wore ours out. Tongue
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 10:22pm
It should have the plates. Are you aware of the correct dismantling procedure for one of these?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57Overlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Homer Homer wrote:

It should have the plates. Are you aware of the correct dismantling procedure for one of these?

Yup, discovered the correct procedures with my readings and video viewings. Basically disassemble the furniture from the muzzle back with the buttstock last. Reassemble in reverse order.

Which is worse to field strip, a Garand or Enfield?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 4:37am
Field strip. Garand.
Detail strip, flip a coin.Tongue
Just remember the forend stock slides off with no tilting!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 7:47am
Pulling an Enfield down is a very easy procedure and only takes about two minutes to remove the forend and handguards. You do not need to remove the nosecap and I would advise not to. It's just not necessary and the cross screw is often spot punched and difficult to remove. Also not necessary to remove the butt. You only want to inspect the draws, right? So just remove the forend. You can actually inspect for the recoil plates through the top of the action with the rifle intact, but if you want to inspect them thoroughly for correct fit and bedding, better to remove it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57Overlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Homer Homer wrote:

Pulling an Enfield down is a very easy procedure and only takes about two minutes to remove the forend and handguards. You do not need to remove the nosecap and I would advise not to. It's just not necessary and the cross screw is often spot punched and difficult to remove. Also not necessary to remove the butt. You only want to inspect the draws, right? So just remove the forend. You can actually inspect for the recoil plates through the top of the action with the rifle intact, but if you want to inspect them thoroughly for correct fit and bedding, better to remove it.

How do you remove the forend without removing the nosecap?
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 6:39am
It's very easy. The rear of the forend comes away from the action first. As it does pull the action and barrel rearward out of the nosecap and forend.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 8:37am
nice looking rifle , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic