Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model of 1917 Remington

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model of 1917 Remington
    Posted: June 29 2014 at 4:55pm
First off, I need to apologize to Mikeinhistory, for absently mindedly butting in and doing My introduction in His thread, that was a mistake and was not done intentionally.
Here is a 1917 in the 30-06 caliber that I have had for some time.
When I got the rifle, the lower band was missing along with the upper hand-guards, The hand- guards that are on it are of a much lighter wood, and, with all the staining I could stand, could not get those woods to accept any more than they have.
A might fine shooter with a bright and shiny bore.
The receiver and the bolt are Remington, the rest is from Remington, Eddystone and Winchester.
My Nephew and I was out shooting a couple of Sundays ago, He being fresh fro the Air-Force and Me thinking they must have went through about the same type of fire-arms training as what was done in the Army.
I handed that rifle off to Him, He made several shots out to the 200 yard plate and dead nailed it, then the smaller plate, then the one even smaller, He then moved over to the big gong and dead nailed it. That kid was having a blast.
After He was all done and shot up all of My ammunition, He exclaimed that He never realized that these old battle rifles was as accurate as they are. He asked today, if We could maybe go out shooting again and take along that 1917.
I guess next time out, I had batter take a couple of hundred rounds. Wink Big smile

There is a huge AAX stamped into the stock and a P behind the trigger guard.
The usual flaming bomb marks are visible.
Top side of the barrel is a, either a J or an incomplete U with a period and an A. and the flaming bomb.
The bottom side of the barrel is a P.
There is no visible date marks that I can see, I did have this rifle stripped for cleaning and wrote down all of the numbers, in a note book that seems to have disappeared from off of Mine working bench. I hope I can find out where it went to, I`m thinking the wifey may have thought it might be nice in the house. HA.

When it comes to self defense, the very best is barely adequate.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 7:57pm
he!!o
The JA on the barrel means it is a WW2 replacement made be Johnson Arms the same folks who made the Johnson Automatic Rifle. These rifles were for the most part placed in storage after the first war and brought out and refurbished in WW2. Some markings may be inspectors marks from the Refurb. A fair Number of these rifles went to allies during the war The UK got a number as did the Free French troops so they may have picked up an inventory mark somewhere along the way.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Martin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 8:22pm
Thank You SW. for the information.
I am thinking that the reason for the hand-guards being missing is, possibly someone had the rifle apart for cleaning, forgot to reinstall the lower hand-guard retaining ring, said the heck with it and put the rifle away.
Being that the front sight has to be removed and also the stock, is My reason for thinking about the missing hand-guards.
I think a set that might be closer to color will appear someday, or a stock that would match the lightest hand-guard would be really nice..
When it comes to self defense, the very best is barely adequate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic