Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BSA Mk1* Sporting rifle (build)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSA Mk1* Sporting rifle (build)
    Posted: July 08 2014 at 9:24am
I have just bought this 1900 model

This was the only description with it so will see what it really is like when it get here.

1900 303 complete, rifleing still good this is a great wee bush gun after 114 years what could you say

Will nail my flag to the mast and show you what I want it to end up looking like.

Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.   

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 9:26am
I have bought this walnut blank to do the stock with

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 9:31am
When it arrived here I was quite pleased with its condition. Barrel is very good with good sharp, well defined rifling, and a bullet will only fit into the muzzle to half its ogive. The chamber is a real beauty as I had a case that I had expanded and had to bump the she!! holder on the FLS die to get it to chamber so it looks like a winner so far.

The stock comb line is so low that I almost have my chin on it to see the sight on their 100 yd setting but would be use it in its present state when I take it for a shot or two later in the week.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 9:33am
I ordered this

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partdetail.aspx/671/1/BP-SHOT-C-2-I

Von Gruff

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 8:24pm
Looks like a nice start to a project; let us know how well it shoots and how the project turns out.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 6:34am
I decided after firing a few shots that the issue sights were just not going to be usable with my eyes so that was the first thing to be sorted out.
Five hours in the shed working out a design and getting it roughed out first in aluminium and then into steel.

First off I needed a backing washer to build up from where the lobbing sight was located

Lots of fileing and trying for fit to get it done.

Then it was working out a pattern in al
Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 6:37am
And transferring it to steel

Next I will need to get the bends done and slot for the elevation adjustment.
Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 6:42am
This is it after a couple of false starts as I tried various ways to get a windage adjustment slider. I had decided to use the knurled knob of a set of ruger rings for the aperture, and after preparing one dropped it "somewhere" in the shed and couldn't find it so had to do another one.

I found an old jack with an interesting piece on the top and with a bit of hacksawing came up with this.

And after quite a bit of time with files to shape it and then to thin down the holding 'curl' to the same OD as the aperture I was able to see this on the bench

Next step is to get the main arm bent and figure out heights and placement for the windage slot and hold down screw and guide peg.
Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 6:45am
I had been putting of going back to the aperture sight as I knew I was in for some work with the dremmel and needle files to get the aperture plate bedded into the aperture arm. I had used a little machine screw and nut to hold the two together initially, but this made a protrusion underneath and had it sitting higher than I wanted, and of course would necessitate height on the front sight over what I wanted to have.
I filed from full thickness to about .01 at the end on the aperture plate and then scribed around it and sunk it into the underside of the aperture arm then filed most of the head off the machine screw, used it and riveted the underneath side to give me the smoothest line I could get. Then with just a little sanding on the dustcover attachment lug I was able to get the aperture arm to clear the bolt when it was sitting in its lowest position, actually sitting on the screws that hold it to the wrist of the rifle.

I got in touch with Scott from http://www.customscrewsandmore.com/Page4.html and he is making me a set of wrist screws that have a lever head with a thumb grip so that I can undo them a half turn and lift the sight to the top of its slide for bolt removal and because I will shoot "the load" in to where the slide is down on the top of the slide adjustment, it will be a simple matter to re-set it for my desired 150 yd zero.
It was going to need a taller front sight and I wanted one with a flat topped blade which I find the best for the aperture sight. The existing front sight was a inverted V so I filed it off and cut a groove into the ramp with hack saw and filed it to fit the new blade I made. It was a tap in fit but there is room to either pin it or for the GS to do a micro weld at the front, however even without this it was a tight fit. I am going to shorten the barrel by 3/4 inch to clean up the muzzle from pull throughs etc and this will still leave about 5/8 in in front of the sight ramp to the muzzle so will look right.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 6:48am
Have ordered a couple of these

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/910/2/SWIVEL-POST

Then cut the pattern boards to start the stock

Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 6:50am
I got out for a few shots this morning to Prove the sights and except for a bit of windage will be able to shootthem in for a 150yd zero later.
Got to the start of the stock with finalising the pattern placement on the blank and (gulp) cutting it in half.

Got the bolt hole drilled and the butt section cut to shape so tomorrow will see the fitting of the socket . Waiting on the butt plate from track of the wolf before I can really shape up the butt although a friend has a couple so may get him to send one down and will replace it with mine when it arrives.
Von Gruff

Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 8:43am
So, not much interest.
Von Gruff

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 8:58am
Well, I'm watching. Does that count?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Jon287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 9:51am
I am watching too. It looks like you are doing a good job on complicated work. Customized work on sported  rifles is such a matter of personal taste and preference it is hard to comment without the risk of giving offense. Nice work!
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their planet!!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 10:00am
interesting project , keep posting the progress , i liked it as it came but i see the potential , 
Von Gruff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Von Gruff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 10:28am
I wondered about sharing this project on here with it mainly concentrating on the military rifles as issued. In the stock it came with I have to have my chin on the comb to see even the issue sights. There are so many sporterised LE's here in NZ that the full wood is a rarity almost.
I happen to like the Lee Speed which is also an issued "type" but can not afford one so this was the only way for me to have one. I have rescued a couple of Martini's and recognise the desirability of the original rifles but even a rescue takes away from actual originality and all I can offer is a working representation of some I really admire.
This was a Martini Enfield Carbine I played with http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226756-A-Martini-Enfield-303-again
And a Martini 577-450 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?239387-LSA-Martini-Henry-577-450

If my approach is exceptable to the forum I will post more on the LE Sporter which is in the finishing stages of the stock at the moment.
Von Gruff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic